Cycling accessory holder

shawboy07
shawboy07 Posts: 4
edited February 2018 in Commuting chat
Hi, i would like to know how often people get punctures or any type of problem on their bike, when you get a problem are you able to fix it there and then or do you have to go home to repair it? Do you carry any equipment on the go? I am designing a product that can carry equipment.

Comments

• cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Not often but yes we take spare innetubes with us. Otherwise you could be stuck dozens of miles away from home with nobody around.

Plenty of saddle packs and bags already exist as do tool bottles and pockets.

Good luck !
  • For commuting, I carry a spare tube; mini pump; tyre lever; multi tool . Same for rides where I'm going to be ~10+ miles from home.

But for local hill reps and alike, I take a chance and take nothing.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    Yeah most people have a little saddle bag.
    You can also get containers the same size as a water bottle, so can fit into bottle cages that most bikes come with (or have fixings for.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • wolfsbane2k
    wolfsbane2k Posts: 3,056
    edited January 2018
    I carry a tool bottle with multitool, levers, gloves, chain links, puncture kit in, and a set of emergency lights.
    and a seat pack with 2 tubes specific to that bike in.
    The bottle moves with me, the seat pack doesn't.
    And both bikes have their own mini pumps mounted on the frame.
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • Thanks for your replies people.

How often does everyone ride their bike?
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Nitrous - isn't it more hassle to take tools off the bike for your hill reps ? Why would you bother ?
  • kingdav
    kingdav Posts: 417
    I carry an ortlieb pannier for commuting because I have a bunch of stuff in there and it doesn't feel worth my time un packing and repacking daily, also allows me to take everything off the bike quickly so I'm not leaving it unattended. I have a small decathlon saddlebag inside it (when not commuting that goes under the seat). Saddle pack contains:-
    - 2 x spare tube
    - chain tool
    - multi tool
    - tyre levers
    - chalk (for marking the holes in used tubes)
    - self adhesive patches in case I run out of tubes (proper repair gear at home).
    - couple of cable ties
    - chain quicklink of some kind

Pannier contains:-
    - saddlebag
    - pump
    - couple of bungies to help stow the bike on rare occasion I take it on a train
    - spare front and rear lights
    - spare aaa batteries for one of the lights.
    - rain jacket or gilet, pair of arm warmers (current contents, this changes a bit over time as things are used).

Another reason for the pannier is one day in 5 or so I'll take a pile of clothes in, if I'm planning working from home I need to take a laptop back with me sometimes.

Once in a while I'll attach the pump to the frame and take the saddle-bag so I can do a non-pannier club ride or light commute.

I ride 4 or 5 days a week on the commute and a recreational ride when I can fit one in at the weekend.
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 5,834
    edited January 2018
    cougie wrote:
    Nitrous - isn't it more hassle to take tools off the bike for your hill reps ? Why would you bother ?

I keep them in my work jacket, rather than in a saddle bag.

Given I'm less than 30mins walk from home when doing reps around Woodmill Lane on non-work days, I don't bother grabbing them, partly because I'm awful at remembering to move them back to the work jacket and I've only had two PF visits out on the road in the last ~10 years... One meant a ~60mins 4.5 mile "walk of shame" home after work last year, having been visited 5mins walk from work in the morning.

Edit: 6 commutes a week over three days, plus usually at least three rides over the other four days... Albeit recently the latter have all been on Zwift! :oops:
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • wolfsbane2k
    wolfsbane2k Posts: 3,056
    shawboy07 wrote:
    Thanks for your replies people.

twice a day, 5 days a week...
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    This is the only accessory holder I carry

bananaholder3.jpg.650x0_q70_crop-smart.jpg
    FCN = 4
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    top banananananana
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • 2*CO2 canisters plus inflator, inner tube and leeches (despite being on tubeless!), multi tool including chain tool, 2*tyre levers, spare chain link. All stored in a waterproof ortlieb micro saddle bag that swaps between my bikes on a quick release bracket.

Currently ride twice a day, three days a week. Looking to increase that.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    I keep 2 tubes levers and bits in an old bottle in the seattube bottle cage.
    That lives on the bike permanently, and I keep an extra couple of tubes and a bigger multi tool in my work bag.

I’m not a designer, but I’m struggling to see where you could design in a different accessory solution to be honest. It’s surprising how many places get in the way when you put a bag or something there.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • shawboy07 wrote:

Jesus wept
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • vimfuego
    vimfuego Posts: 1,783
    you are aware of the mark one jersey pocket?

how_to_pack_your_pockets_3.jpg?itok=-jQ1INin

nothing to see here
    CS7
    Surrey Hills
    What's a Zwift?
  • https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIp ... sp=sf_link

Could people fill out this form on cycling.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Now you're obsessed with lights?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    ps I lied.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    Is the OP John Shaw of Ryburn Valley High School, doing his CDT homework?
    P.S. more kickstands, please, esp. for carbon fibre bikes.