monday tearing holes in reality with a kilo of quark–gluon plasma and a pineapple

sungod
sungod Posts: 16,432
edited February 2018 in The bottom bracket
'ning

seems like it'll be a nippy start, but dry

office, coffee, bail, wfh, may do a bit of bike tweaking
my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny

Comments

• lincolndave
    lincolndave Posts: 9,441
    Morning, freezing out but pleased to say the wind has dropped, dog walked , breakfast and tea on its way

Have a good week
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,161
    Nice and frosty here in the badlands of Sarf East London. Just in train in ready for long day of stuff. Hopefully the random stupid question count will be down as its half term and a lot of people will be away.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    i'm in Barcelona. its raining so lazy start, aquarium with bambini. meant to be sunny for the rest of the week so Parc Guell etc over the next couple of days.

plan to eat everything in sight.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,121
    Morning

Lovely clear start to the day, sunshine forecast all day, cycle in to the office...
    ...all the roads covered in ice :(

Didn't come off, bike slid a couple of times but it wasn't the most enjoyable ride ever.

Found my baselayer legs I wanted to wear yesterday - down the back of a bench in the changing rooms at work covered in fluff.

Hopefully a less icy bike ride later.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    Morning folks,
    More than a little fresh out there this morning but thankfully I had my warm gloves on, unlike the miserable looking girl I saw riding the other way with no gloves on. It was reading -4 on my Garmin* at that point so no gloves did strike me as rather silly. Now warming up with my second cup of tea and a couple of ginger nuts.
    To add to the Barcelona stuff MF there's a sort of cultural village showing all the different regions of Spain, I think it was on the road to the Olympic stadium. Just had a Google and it's called Poble Espanol, on the road to stadium and Montjuic. That's well worth a visit as I recall.
    Seeing as I'm not in Barca I'd better get on with some work. Deep joy...
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,831
    No cycling for me as down in Gloucester for meetings, one which has already been cancelled. So I didn’t need to get out of bed at stupid am to get here for 7.30 then :(
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    Morning, much ice this morning even the deer didn't seem to want to move due to it.

Today, more training courses huzzah! Though I found out I can cycle to work and they allow bikes in the office huzzah!
  • haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997
    Morning. Office day. Trying to decide if my next bike should be steel or aluminium. Tough decisions.
  • veronese68
    HaydenM wrote:
    Trying to decide if my next bike should be steel or aluminium.
    Depends, we need more information before we can baffle you with bullshit, confuse the issue and leave you none the wiser. .
  • hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129
    Bit cold, stayed upright. I had a puncture on Friday night, and I don't think I quite seated the inner tube under the tyre correctly, as there's a bit of a bulge near the valve, which kept whumping every revolution of the wheels. I'm amazed I didn't get a pinch flat to be honest. Off to go and fix it now, and put a fresh tube in the saddlebag.
  • Been a full week in new place, finally starting to look fairly organised. Except the shed. That's a mess.

Dismantled the two giant TV antenna masts today because both of them are in the wrong spots, and not really needed anyway. Will try an indoor one for regular TV until the (relatively) high speed internet connection is sorted. Rigged up all the remaining gear though, just need to make some sexy new stand mounts for a few speakers which used to be hung on the walls before. Can't do that here.

Assembled a bike, ready for first ride tomorrow I hope. Gotta do a second one for the other half first though...

Went for a walk this evening up the beach, beautiful spot. Can't wait to get riding all over the headland.

Life is good. 8)
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • veronese68
    Life is good. 8)
    Excellent, pleased to hear it. Ya barsteward.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Morning folks,
    More than a little fresh out there this morning but thankfully I had my warm gloves on, unlike the miserable looking girl I saw riding the other way with no gloves on. It was reading -4 on my Garmin* at that point so no gloves did strike me as rather silly. Now warming up with my second cup of tea and a couple of ginger nuts.
    To add to the Barcelona stuff MF there's a sort of cultural village showing all the different regions of Spain, I think it was on the road to the Olympic stadium. Just had a Google and it's called Poble Espanol, on the road to stadium and Montjuic. That's well worth a visit as I recall.

cheers dude. just having a quick coffee and mental regroup before heading off for lunch.

barca is stil rocking.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,161
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Morning folks,

cheers dude. just having a quick coffee and mental regroup before heading off for lunch.

barca is stil rocking.
    I remembered one other top tip for Barca but and posted it in yesterdays thread. Apart from that, tour of the Nou Camp is worthwhile.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • haydenm
    Veronese68 wrote:
    HaydenM wrote:
    Trying to decide if my next bike should be steel or aluminium.
    Depends, we need more information before we can baffle you with bullshit, confuse the issue and leave you none the wiser. .

Luckily it's a proper bike, I wouldn't dare post a frame material thread in the road section. It would be 7 pages of extremely questionable 'science' about how you 100% can't use *insert material here* for bikes, a further 9 pages of insults then someone would delete their account in top flounce fashion
  • sungod
    can't see what they find to argue about, though they're not as bad as cakestoppers

it's clearly steel, preferably shiny
  • step83
    edited February 2018
    I'd go with steel myself, nicely shaped tubes classic lines, maybe something along the lines of a Cinelli Nemo or Colnago Master?

All depends on budget of course.

Sneaky edit,

Cinelli XCR, in silly stainless, certainly shiny enough for Mr Pinno

xcr__22487.1414709425.jpg?c=2&imbypass=on
  • haydenm
    sungod wrote:
    it's clearly steel, preferably shiny

I'd normally agree, I love steel bikes but you pay a premium for it in mountain bikes, and as my budget is coming out of another bike budget later in the year I don't want to sacrifice spec for frame material and end up with a heavy bike with rubbish spec :wink:
  • haydenm
    Step83 wrote:
    I'd go with steel myself, nicely shaped tubes classic lines, maybe something along the lines of a Cinelli Nemo or Colnago Master?

Sorry, when I say proper bike I mean mtb, please don't hurt me.

Orange crush pro or P7 S are my options so far, sub £1500. There is a boring thread in the mtb section
  • step83
    HaydenM wrote:
    Step83 wrote:

Orange crush pro or P7 S are my options so far, sub £1500. There is a boring thread in the mtb section

Ah, well in that case there arnt as many as most seem to be going toward alu because chunky looks make people feel better.

Bar the Orange offerings all I can think off off hand would be an Onza Payoff 29nr or Marin Pine 1 which is a 27.5+
    Maybe a Production Privee Shan?
  • veronese68
    I still like the suggestion of a Bird, not least because of all the cheap gags about riding your Bird.
  • haydenm
    Step83 wrote:
    HaydenM wrote:
    Step83 wrote:

Ah, well in that case there arnt as many as most seem to be going toward alu because chunky looks make people feel better.

Bar the Orange offerings all I can think off off hand would be an Onza Payoff 29nr or Marin Pine 1 which is a 27.5+
    Maybe a Production Privee Shan?

Was looking at a Stanton Slackline or a Cotic of some sort, both would be over £2k for a decent spec as would the Shan I'd imagine. As much as I'd love any of those...
  • haydenm
    Veronese68 wrote:
    I still like the suggestion of a Bird, not least because of all the cheap gags about riding your Bird.

That is the main reason I'd like one to be honest. It's a decent bike, good spec and their new bikes look really solid. The older ones never did it for me. Also, I don't really want to go bitching about them on a forum but I know some people who were involved with them and came away unhappy in the end
  • step83
    I think most the the PP bikes are now direct, not sure of anyone selling them bar a frame which is around £600 so likely build would cost more.

The Bird Zero AM looks pretty good too forgot about them.
  • sungod
    Step83 wrote:

Sneaky edit,

Cinelli XCR, in silly stainless, certainly shiny enough for Mr Pinno

my shiny bike is a cinelli xcr, the original version that has no paint at all, i.e. more shiny
  • haydenm
    Mmm, maybe I need a new road bike. I'm not sure there is anything more lovely than a steel or ti framed race bike
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,195
    How about the Cannondale off road wotsit?
    Yes. agree on the Cinelli - at least you'll be able to be spotted more easily when you are in a ditch somewhere.

A boring thread in mtb?! Never.

Plastergeddon tomorrow. Yippee. Apart from a silly plumbing job and pruning the apple trees, that will be me off for a week.

Laters.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,831
    HaydenM wrote:
    Step83 wrote:

Must have a steel fetish, got two of the bikes named here
  • haydenm
    Not the biggest fan of cannondale off road bikes on account of the fact it's taken them until now to stop putting those rancid lefty forks on their enduro bikes.

Thinking of something slightly more useful for xc type stuff than the other orange bikes I suggested earlier:
    Orange-2017-Clockwork-Evo-Pro-27-5-4657-l.jpg

It's no xc whippet but might be less silly (and less overlap with my current enduro race bike)
  • haydenm
    In other news, I have pulled the back of my knee drunkenly running home from the pub on Saturday night. It was hammering it down and I was in smart leather shoes, not sure what the hell I was thinking but I'll be giving zwift a rest tonight.

Running, zwift and xc bikes. I think I have changed...