Dirt Jump Bike Recommendation Please.

Blind Danny Johnson
Blind Danny Johnson Posts: 372
edited February 2018 in MTB buying advice
Hi Guys,

I mainly ride XC, looking to get into DH when I have the skills and balls! But I live in London so I can only really ride at the weekends and because of work only one of the weekend days. There are however loads of pump tracks near to me which I've tried on my Stumpy but found it pretty unrewarding and so want to get a DJ bike to so I can ride more on pump tracks in the week. Can you recommend and good starter bike for me? Thanks.

Ps I'm assuming a DJ bike would be good for this sort of thing? I don't really fancy a BMX and I figured a DJ bike being smaller and more agile than what I currently ride would be good for it? Thanks.

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Try asking on the Southern Downhill forum. There are quite a few dirt jumpers & freeriders on there. Personally I like the Giant STP.
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    Get a BMX!

I used to ride one and I'd recommend one for anything that involves jumping and pump tracks. So much more responsive than a dirt jump bike (small wheels, steep angles, no forks squishing about under you etc)

It'll teach you how to ride properly.

Plus they are cheap and theres nowt to go wrong on them.

But, they arent ideal unless the ground you're riding on is nice and smooth. If the pump tracks & jumps you have near you are a bit worse for wear then a DJ bike might be more comfortable for you. Dont know what to recommend, there seems to be so many about.
  • Thanks I'll try that other forum. I don't really fancy a BMX although I might try one out if I can to see...
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    The Saracen Amplitude is a good pump track bike I have found and can be found reasonably cheap.
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    I suspect he has bought a bike in the last 6 years!
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    He has bought a few since then, and has become a gnarly riding god. And races in Enduros.

But as he hasn't logged on for three years, doubt he'll read the recommendation.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools