Rockshox recon gold not really locking out

ed1973
ed1973 Posts: 284
edited February 2018 in MTB workshop & tech
As title suggests
Basic story is, I recently changed the travel from 80 to 100mm by cutting the spacer (non damper side) in half I took great care in ensuring the spacer was super straight and sanded down to make the best seal possible. I also serviced the entire fork but only had 15wt fork oil instead of the recommended 5wt. I didn’t replace any seals, just put the whole thing back together.
So the turnkey lockout isn’t working very well at all, it just isn’t locking out as it was. So does anyone have any suggestions?
Do I:
Buy a spacer kit for £11.99, to do the job properly
Use the correct 5wt on the damper side.
Do a complete seal change
All of the above

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Did you have the damper out, have you refilled it properly, is the lever hitting the fork crown because you’ve put it on in the wrong place.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • ed1973
    The Rookie wrote:
    Did you have the damper out, have you refilled it properly, is the lever hitting the fork crown because you’ve put it on in the wrong place.
    There is a black disc in the bottom of the lower leg, should this be on top or below upper leg?
  • ed1973
    Ed1973 wrote:
    The Rookie wrote:
    There is a black disc in the bottom of the lower leg, should this be on top or below upper leg?
    Just an update.
    I have taken the damper out and had a good luck, nothing obviously wrong, changed the oil and put back on.
    It’s done nothing, still not really locking out.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Could you answer the third question.......
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • ed1973
    The Rookie wrote:
    Could you answer the third question.......
    Change all the o rings on the various parts
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    That's not the answer to his question.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,474
    I've got Recon Gold forks and they don't lock out particularly decisively, and haven't done so since I bought them (brand new).
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • Ed1973 wrote:
    As title suggests
    Basic story is, I recently changed the travel from 80 to 100mm by cutting the spacer (non damper side) in half I took great care in ensuring the spacer was super straight and sanded down to make the best seal possible. I also serviced the entire fork but only had 15wt fork oil instead of the recommended 5wt. I didn’t replace any seals, just put the whole thing back together.
    So the turnkey lockout isn’t working very well at all, it just isn’t locking out as it was. So does anyone have any suggestions?
    Do I:
    All of the above

You must place a certain amount of oil in the damper side (where is the lock) as Rock Shock suggests for this fork and the specific mm of travel. I suppose that you have to put a bit more since you increase the fork travel.
    I would also recommend you to change the oil viscosity back to 5Wt, 15 Wt is very heavy and the rebound and compression will not work as it should be.
    The seals has nothing to do with the lock.
  • ed1973
    Dadros wrote:
    Ed1973 wrote:
    As title suggests
    Do I:
    All of the above

You must place a certain amount of oil in the damper side (where is the lock) as Rock Shock suggests for this fork and the specific mm of travel. I suppose that you have to put a bit more since you increase the fork travel.
    I would also recommend you to change the oil viscosity back to 5Wt, 15 Wt is very heavy and the rebound and compression will not work as it should be.
    The seals has nothing to do with the lock.
    Nice one I’ll try this.
    I managed to get the required height if oil from the Sram website and going to make a ghetto oil measurer from a syringe, plastic tube, hollow cable hose and zip tie.
    I’ll keep you all posted.
  • ed1973
    Quick update.
    I cleaned and re oiled the damper side with 5wt, put exact amount of oil, fully measured quantity then height.
    You guessed it, no change. Still getting loads of movement in lock out.
    Any suggestions folks?
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    Ed1973 wrote:
    Any suggestions folks?

This:
    The Rookie wrote:
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • ed1973
    JBA wrote:
    Ed1973 wrote:
    Any suggestions folks?

This:
    The Rookie wrote:
    Sorry I have no idea what this means, which lever, and what is the fork crown. Sorry for my ignorance, I’m a bit new to this.
  • JBA
    Ed1973 wrote:
    Sorry I have no idea what this means, which lever, and what is the fork crown. Sorry for my ignorance, I’m a bit new to this.

You don't know the names of the fork components yet decided to take them apart and cut bits off! :shock:

Did you follow any guides or videos or just hack at it?

Let's go back to basics:

What year are the forks?
    Single or dual air?

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • ed1973
    2012 gold tk
    Single air
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    The lockout lever. And Google is your friend.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • ed1973
    So after I stepped away from the bike, had a coffee and a bit of Winter Olympics I went back to the lever and made sure it wasn’t hitting the fork crown (I had a moment of clarity after a bit of thinking). I have taken the lever off and used a spanner to manually lock the fork. But it’s still not really doing much. Could the damper inside be screwed. I did find a video on YouTube about my exact damper but it’s all in Russian and I couldn’t make any of it out.
  • JBA
    According to the SRAM manual for those forks you just had to remove a travel spacer to increase the travel. Nothing should have been cut or filed. Look on page 16.

Damper service is page 19 onwards.

• ed1973
    Thanks for the post and thanks for the hyperlinks. The spacer came in a block of 4 that were a solid block, you can buy them on amazon in 1’s 2’s or 4’s.