New rims, new spokes?

gregwari
gregwari Posts: 230
edited February 2018 in MTB workshop & tech
If I changed the rims and kept the same hubs, would I also need to purchase new spokes (assuming the replacement rims had the same hole count)?

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Maybe, it depends on the ERD (Effective Rim Diameter) if the new rim has a different diameter to where the nipples sit inside them you need new spokes, the same size wheel (say 29er) can have a rim diameter up to 15mm different (and lots more for road aero rims).
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,168
    I did that at twice on both wheels on my commute bike. Used mavic rims and spoke length was fine, more luck than planning.

Easiest way is to tape new rim to the old one and move spokes over one at a time.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I’ve done that to, but yes the ERD has to be the same.

If you do that it’s best to do it one side at a time, do the first row of spokes not quite tight and then do the second row and start truing from there.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.