To The Trail: UK Mountain Biking YouTube Channel

tothetrail.tv
tothetrail.tv Posts: 14
edited February 2018 in Your pics and vids
A friend and I have been working really hard on a UK YouTube channel of late, posting videos of trails around the UK and documenting what we're getting up to.

Neither of us are the best riders in the world and we started filming originally to watch back our progression. That turned into sharing our experiences with people like you.

It would be great if you'd stop by and check our channel out at: http://tothetrail.tv

In the meantime, here's our latest video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VG04I4z3d0A&t

Comments

• We've been working really hard on new content with plenty more to come. Give us a look, would love to hear your feedback.

http://tothetrail.tv
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Yawn.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad wrote:
    Yawn.

Appreciate they might not be for everyone. We're by no means hucking off anything ridiculous. Red Bull TV is probably more up your street.

New video though: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Yb4wKo-Vdg&t=1s
  • Found a cheap deal and thought some of you might like to know about it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5ZPhq9HmhI&t=81s
  • A snowy, off-piste bit of riding from back in December!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvOsO8-NXCQ
  • cooldad
    Spammy yawn.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • JGTR
    JGTR Posts: 1,404
    cooldad wrote:
    Spammy yawn.

Seconded.
  • JGTR wrote:
    cooldad wrote:
    Spammy yawn.

Seconded.

Give us a bit of feedback? I didn't want to be starting a new thread for every video we make - as it would literally be spamming the forum with 2 videos every week. Hence this thread where I can leave the videos without totally taking over this section of the forum.

Is the problem with me posting videos here? If so, I'm not sure I understand that... isn't this the place in the forum for posting your videos?

Is the problem with the content of the videos? If so, fair enough if it's not your cup of tea. I can understand that - can't please everyone.

Let me know. Not trying to sound arrogant, just trying to understand and be better. Happy to hear some constructive feedback.
  • cooldad
    Fair enough.

From an objective point of view.

There are approx 3,456,790,879,765,380,123,548,678 YouTube videos with random riding on random trails, with random music. Looks like you are having fun, which is good, but why would the rest of the world be the least bit interested? Easy trails (don't get me wrong, that's my favourite sort of riding, I'm no gnarly riding god), average skills, basically just boring.

But saying that, I find most videos boring. I enjoy riding, but unless there's something special, be it skills, trail or scenery, can't see the point of watching the arris in front just riding along. Fun for the people who were there, but not for the wider world.

From a subjective point of view.

I probably spend way too much time here, but it's kind of like a dysfunctional extended family. You post stuff, but take minimal interest in the rest of the forum. So I take minimal interest in you.

Plus I've been called a bit of a d1ck because I like annoying people. Welcome to the club...
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • JGTR
    JGTR Posts: 1,404
    1. The subject matter isn’t very interesting, it’s reasonably slow paced, quite often there is another rider in front who doesn’t do anything and nothing really happens. I randomly flicked through it and each time it was just more of the same.
    2. No variation - 8 minutes of the same thing, the trails all look very similar.
    3. Very samey all the way through.
    4. Nothing happens.
    5. The only remotely interesting point where it looked like you were going to crash into the guy in front was cut.

The point about just using the forum to get YouTube views is valid......spam
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    Whilst it is great that you take the time to create videos they have to be interesting.
    8 minutes of not much happening from the same point of view is more than a tad boring.

You need to vary the camera angle and location to obtain more creative, interesting points of view and get ruthless with the editing. Use a bar mount, seat post mount, head mount, etc and take some 3rd party footage. A short, snappy, multi-angled 1 minute video is far better than an 8 minute bore fest.

Keep going and keep learning though. The only way is up.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • I quite liked the first one. Keep thinking John Richardson has started a biking channel, and that's no bad thing!
  • First thing is if you enjoy what you do then carry on and don't worry about what others think I have had a few negative comments but really don't care and take not of any suggestions. I thought they where good(ish) although not a trail man I prefer to find more scenic places there are plenty that want to know what trails are like. I only watched one tbf so maybe you have already done this but split it up a little maybe have a static camera filming as you go past which would make it lots better I think and you can edit it on movie maker which is free with some great results.. You can even slow the film down when you do a jump or crash.

Biggest advice though is to go out and have fun its a great sport and who cares if its not every ones cup of tea. I know not everyone likes a over weight fat bike riding, middle aged man cycling past random stuff but to me if one person see it and thinks I am gonna get off this sofa and do this its a win.
    Keep it up guys :D
  • Thanks a load for the feedback. Thrilled that you've dropped by to offer some help. Taken on board and will see if I can make something a little more interesting for the next one and get involved a bit more with this community.

Thanks again.