Velo South 2018

https://www.velosouth.com

New event from the same organisation that did Velo Birmingham last year. That event had various issues but, for me at any rate, was still an amazing day.

Will be interested to see what the demand/interest for this one is...

Comments

• kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    I did velo birmingham - sure room for improvement but it was a fantastic day.

When I got the email this morning, it was a definite 'no' - can't be bothered driving all that way staying in a hotel etc. - But it was so great last year Im thinkin f**** it - lets go for it....

Any hotel recommendations near goodwood race course ?
  • davep1
    davep1 Posts: 836
    I've heard about this via word of mouth, it seems a little low profile at the moment, given it is only a few months away. Makes me wonder if they are panicking trying to get an event organised on that date?
    I live in the area, so am torn between paying a (very) high entry fee to ride on closed roads that I know pretty well versus not doing what could be a great event. I'll wait until they publish the route before I decide.

I have only heard good things about Velo Birmingham from those that did it, but it isn't cheap so unless they have something a bit different to offer in Sussex I may just ride to the route and watch the event.

There are some lovely quiet country roads all around, I think the issue with locals complaining about road closures could be minimised with a clever choice of route. Brighton is only 33 miles away by the A27, so they could be looking at including Ditchling, although it is hard to NOT go into Brighton once at the top, which may then cause the nimbies to complain about the inconvenience of roads being closed.

Maybe they'll use the track at Goodwood for part of it?
  • rank_amateur
    rank_amateur Posts: 117
    edited February 2018
    DaveP1, as someone who did the VB and was planning to do it again this year, don't underestimate the appeal/value of the closed roads. Having grown up in Brum I knew many of the roads and of course I'd cycled them for 'free' many times, but once they're closed to all traffic, except you and thousands of other cyclists, every penny paid is a penny well spent. Blasting the wrong way down the city centre's streets, on the wrong side of the carriageway around islands, not stopping for red lights or checking junctions etc - it was absolutely fantastic. No comparison to a normal ride.
    If you live near the VeloSouth then do it, it'll be one of your best riding days this year.
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,398
    This is intriguing for me too as another Sussexite. Will be interesting to see where they head from Goodwood. Will look on with interest at the route
  • kingrollo
    DaveP1, as someone who did the VB and was planning to do it again this year, don't underestimate the appeal/value of the closed roads. Having grown up in Brum I knew many of the roads and of course I'd cycled them for 'free' many times, but once they're closed to all traffic, except you and thousands of other cyclists, every penny paid is a penny well spent. Blasting the wrong way down the city centres streets, on the wrong side of the carriageway round islands, not stopping for red lights or checking junctions etc - it was absolutely fantastic. No comparison to a normal ride.
    If you live near the VeloSouth then do it, it'll be one of your best riding days this year.

This - ^^^^^^^^^

Exactly the same circumstances as above - I live local to Brum and knew the roads, and rode much of the route beforehand. However I am not exaggerating, aside family events, births, weddings, etc - this was one of the greatest days of my life. If you're local don't be put of that the fee is £30-40 more than you thinks its worth - Like velo birmingham there is good chance it will be a one off - the entrance gets you a lifetime of memories.
  • It’s the closed roads that swing it for me. I’m from Birmingham but my brother in law lives within striking distance of goodwood so I can hopefully avoid having to mess with hotels.
  • davep1
    I've done RideLondon a couple of times, and loved the closed roads, so it's a definite plus. Still want to see the actual route - although they had to change the Birmingham route at least once before the day because of local moaning didn't they?
  • dannbodge
    dannbodge Posts: 1,152
    Pre-registered for this.

Should be good as I'm based in hampshire anyway
  • I did a rural event on closed roads (Etape Cymru)... didn't think the road closures made much of a difference over the recce ride we did the day before on open roads... oh yes, I could go up the Horseshoe pass hairpin the wrong way round, hooray...
    I understand if you want to go through London or Birmingham you might want roads closed, but the South Downs, Why? What difference will it make?

Imagine the Fred Whitton Challenge on closed roads... same thing as the FWC on open roads
    left the forum March 2023
  • kingrollo
    I did a rural event on closed roads (Etape Cymru)... didn't think the road closures made much of a difference over the recce ride we did the day before on open roads... oh yes, I could go up the Horseshoe pass hairpin the wrong way round, hooray...
    I understand if you want to go through London or Birmingham you might want roads closed, but the South Downs, Why? What difference will it make?

Imagine the Fred Whitton Challenge on closed roads... same thing as the FWC on open roads

YMMV

To me riding along the Hagley road without a car in sight - or thunderous reception we received arriving in Bewdley was an out of this world experience - In 30 years of cycling it was the best thing I have ever done.
    I imagine the south downs will be just as as great a day - its a logistical nightmare for me to get there from Brum - but I fully intend to be there.
  • Oh yeah, flying down the hill into Bewdley was incredible. Such an amazing crowd there!
  • davep1
    Full details at London Bike Show next Friday, apparently
  • davep1
    http://road.cc/content/news/237670-velo ... nt-1680037

The map is just an image so exactly where it goes is hard to tell, plus it could change, as Velo Birmingham had to. If it goes down Duncton, that is a great descent.
  • kingrollo
    Very tempting.

Not sure about starting with a major climb - the worst part about velo birmingham was kinver 30 miles in - quite a steep but short climb - people were just dismounting and there wasn't room to move - being clicked you can't just get off !
  • Good route.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • kingrollo
    Hotel recommendations please !
  • 75p a mile or £ 1.15 a mile for the fast track privilege... I think it is as steep as it gets.
    If you are quick and can do a mile in 3 minutes, then it might cost up to 40 p a minute... almost as expensive as the short stay car park at Heathrow... :lol:

I think I'l stick to my 9 p a mile, fully catered London-Wales-London, including one full mile of closed-to-traffic Severn Bridge... :lol:

https://londonwaleslondon.com/
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    edited February 2018
    kingrollo wrote:
    Hotel recommendations please !

Expensive - Goodwood Hotel - https://www.goodwood.com/estate/the-goodwood-hotel/
    Chichester Park Hotel
    White Horse @ Chilgrove
    Royal Oak - East Lavant
    The Dean Inn - West Dean (on the 286)
    Horse & Groom - East Ashling (on the tail end of the route) http://www.thehorseandgroomchichester.co.uk/
    Fox Goes Free - Funtington (bit before East Ashling - on the tail end of the route)

All within a few of miles of the circuit.

Numerous other pubs in the area - or you can go down into Chichester - there's a travel lodge @ Chichester Gate
  • slowbike
    kingrollo wrote:
    Very tempting.

Not sure about starting with a major climb - the worst part about velo birmingham was kinver 30 miles in - quite a steep but short climb - people were just dismounting and there wasn't room to move - being clicked you can't just get off !

It's not much of a major climb - Kennel Hill starts of flat then builds into a 6-8% - it's just a drag... they may not go down that route - but go across to New Barn Hill (Scupture Hill) instead - it's less steep.

On the course - the A285 being closed would be nice, but other than the drop into Duncton - not much benefit - it seems to go cross country then - I don't know the area to the east - but once it comes back to Fernhurst I can't see any real benefit to the individual rider to have closed roads (yes it's needed for the numbers, but they're quiet roads. The only bit that would offer a bit more pleasant cycling than normal would be from Funtington home - it can be quite a busy B road.

I can't see me entering - as nice as it is to ride on closed roads I've got other things to spend what is probably going to be £75+ on.
  • cgfw201
    cgfw201 Posts: 674
    £75 to ride on roads overflowing with mamils? Don't see the appeal.

Amazing place to ride down there, much rather do it in the quiet on any other day of the year and not have a fat chap called Steve getting in the way taking selfies and not knowing how to ride in a bunch.
  • slowbike
    cgfw201 wrote:

Amazing place to ride down there, much rather do it in the quiet on any other day of the year and not have a fat chap called Steve getting in the way taking selfies and not knowing how to ride in a bunch.

Don't worry - it's not compulsory ...
  • cgfw201 wrote:

Some people enjoy crowds, some don't. I only did one 20K people ride and frankly it was a hit and a miss... some bits were nice, like overtaking dozens going up the Kapelmuur (hooray!), others were depressing, like having to walk up the Paterberg because the road was a wall of people walking on cleats (boooo!).

I like the sense of an "event", but I like smaller events: the Eroica in Tuscany was great when it was a 500-1000 riders events, now that it is a 7,000 riders event, it's not so great anymore. With big crowds come vendors only interested in churning a big profit... everyone is just there to rip you off.

As for road closures, they don't do anything for me... the roads that you would like closed are typically depressing with or without cars. The nice roads typically don't have much traffic anyway and that includes the Snowdonia section of the A5... :shock:
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,398
    cgfw201 wrote:

Oi! My name's not Steve
  • So they're not even saying how much it will be until the entries open? Hmmmm.
  • slowbike
    As for road closures, they don't do anything for me... the roads that you would like closed are typically depressing with or without cars. The nice roads typically don't have much traffic anyway and that includes the Snowdonia section of the A5... :shock:

Having done RL100 a couple of times I quite liked the BIG ROADS that were closed - central London ones were nice - but then so were the little bits of main road through Dorking & Kingston onwards - the rest was country roads - so nice not to worry about traffic - but if riding in a small group on open roads, like you say - wouldn't make a lot of difference.
  • Wow, disappointing to have the route so close to, but avoid https://www.strava.com/segments/1562691 (Harvesting Lane cat4) and https://www.strava.com/segments/1239654 (Bell Hill to the top cat3).

Looks like Turkey Island https://www.strava.com/segments/3105043 is the KOM, one I've yet to ride over to.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • slowbike
    Nah not Turkey Island - they're using South Harting - Cat 4 - https://www.strava.com/activities/14193 ... 5271813259

(I now know someone who pre-rode the route)
  • kingrollo
    So they're not even saying how much it will be until the entries open? Hmmmm.

Birmingham was £75 and it sold out.

As they are commercial organisation I reckon it will be £90

Not clear on the website as the fast track entry offers a guaranteed parking space. But then it the faqs it says you can book a parking space, yards from the start line (which would be cheaper than a hotel for me)
  • slowbike
    kingrollo wrote:
    So they're not even saying how much it will be until the entries open? Hmmmm.

Birmingham was £75 and it sold out.

As they are commercial organisation I reckon it will be £90

Not clear on the website as the fast track entry offers a guaranteed parking space. But then it the faqs it says you can book a parking space, yards from the start line (which would be cheaper than a hotel for me)

If it comes to it - I can tell you where you can park - FOC - not that far from the start ... ;)
  • PostieJohn
    PostieJohn Posts: 1,105
    Blimey this is all a bit surreal.
    You're all talking about an event of which I have ridden every single inch.

I live on the coast pretty much equidistant from the furthers points east & west, this event is my playground.
    It's hard to pick a favourite section but the calm before the final storm, Bucks Green to Milland, ought to be enjoyed. Although the all but guaranteed headwind will take the edge off.

Regarding accommodation not only are there a bazillion Premier Inn type places in West Sussex, unless driving to the event I suggest you keep away from the ones littered along side the A27, it's not a cycle friendly road and won't get you off to a good start.
    You'll also have plenty of hotels, guest houses, pubs with rooms, down on the coast, still open and looking for business.
    Bognor to Chi would be a nice pre-ride loosener, Littlehampton is about 15 miles away but being on the coast means they are pan flat through to the circuit.