Elevated HR after a bug

cougie
cougie Posts: 22,512
So after years of dodging the Xmas / New Year bug that goes round I got it this year. About three weeks ago. Really wiped me out for a good week and I've not felt right until the last few days.

So I did spin this morning and didn't go flat out as I thought it best to ease back in. Max HR was about 15bpm higher than normal.

I'd like to think this is because I've lost a bit of fitness but I think it's showing I'm not fit to work out yet. :-(

Anyone else out there in a similar position ? Three weeks is a heck of a chunk out of training.

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Yep - I had the same thing over xmas. Completely wiped me out for a couple of weeks - but getting back on the bike felt like I hadn't ridden for a year. HR through the roof on the first few rides back as well. It gets better eventually, but I did seem to lose far more fitness than was reasonable for the time out though...
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    that normal but what have seen but it does come back to normal quickly. Its not a loss of fitness so much but it does depend on your base fittness. The more your ride the longer break you can take without any effects.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • Ease yourself back in gently
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Yes I think that's the best way to do it.

Thanks.
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    HR is increased because:
    - body wants a fever to fight bug.
    - increased circulation needed to move anti-infection/virals/repair cells around
    - increased metabolic rate causes dehydration, which increases HR.
    etc.
  • john1967
    john1967 Posts: 366
    diy wrote:
    HR is increased because:
    - body wants a fever to fight bug.
    - increased circulation needed to move anti-infection/virals/repair cells around
    - increased metabolic rate causes dehydration, which increases HR.
    etc.

Nice explanation, thanks :D

I also find it interesting that my heart rate went up a good couple of days before my cold symptoms kicked in so i think my body knew it was infected before i did.
  • If you normally train regularly then your HR will have increased because your blood volume has decreased - a week off can easily drop it by 10%. I notice this after a week off with no illness involved and my performance (measured by power) isn't particularly affected. You're probably fine to work out, but easing your way back into it after illness is the sensible course.