TV Series - Reviews and Recommendations......

Comments

• hogans hero's
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,538
    Finished Spiral which was top drawer from beginning to near the end I thought, last episode was a mildy damp squib, or perhaps just not up to the drama of the few preceeding ones.
    McMafia looks like it might have quite the finale next Sunday.

Recorded Maltese: The Mafia detective on C4, but all available on All 4.
    http://www.channel4.com/programmes/maltese-the-mafia-detective/episode-guide/

Won't get the chance to watch it for at least two weeks, be interested to hear what anyone on here makes of it.
    Elegant, nostalgic Italian crime drama set in 1976. A detective travels to Sicily for a wedding but finds himself drawn into a murder investigation and a complex web of widespread corruption.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,214
    Anyone else watch Billions? Third series must be starting soon and it's about the only thing I've bothered 'binge' watching. I don't understand much of the financial stuff but really enjoy it, I find it interesting that I want Axe to come out on top even though I'd hate anyone like he in real life. I'm also very partial to Maggie Siff!
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,581
    Pross wrote:
    Anyone else watch Billions? Third series must be starting soon and it's about the only thing I've bothered 'binge' watching. I don't understand much of the financial stuff but really enjoy it, I find it interesting that I want Axe to come out on top even though I'd hate anyone like he in real life. I'm also very partial to Maggie Siff!

We'll be watching.

Thought the second series was a big improvement over the first.
  • herb71
    herb71 Posts: 253
    Dinyull wrote:
    Can someone tell me Black Mirror gets better please?

Tried the first episode (Series 1) and couldn't help but feeling it was 45mins of my life I won't be getting back, despite being a big Charlie Brooker fan.

Really?

Black mirror was truly excellent in my option. There were a couple which didn't quite reach the high bench march set by the best, but generally I enjoyed them all!

Other shows that did it for me, Game of thrones, Star Trek Discovery, the punisher. Lots of good stuff out there to see you through the winter.
  • crumbschief
    crumbschief Posts: 3,399
    Ok here's a few that are alright by me.

Britannia
    Six
    Ghosted
    Hogan's Heroes
    Portrait Artist Of The Year
    Strike Back,just to see Peter Firth
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I think Spooks is on Netflix ? That's an excellent watch. Even second time round. Truly gripping.

I'm loving Altered Carbon on Netflix. Budget must be huge.
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    Skippy the Bush Kangaroo is still available.
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • meursault
    meursault Posts: 1,433
    Mr Goo wrote:
    MrB123 wrote:
    What is the forum view on McMafia?

I'm currently thinking it's worth about 6 out of 10 but we'll see what the climax brings. There have been some tense moment but overall it has been a bit slow.

The guy playing the main character (tipped as the next Bond) has been a bit wooden IMO, and none of the other characters are particularly likeable.

You've hit nail on the head. None of the characters are likeable.

Yup, agreed.
    Superstition sets the whole world in flames; philosophy quenches them.

Voltaire
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,538
    cougie wrote:
    I think Spooks is on Netflix ? That's an excellent watch. Even second time round. Truly gripping.

The lovely Keeley Hawes.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • mr_goo
    mr_goo Posts: 3,770
    The Expanse - series 2 better than series 1, but overall just brilliant
    Van Helsing - a bit 'American Cheesy' in places, but not bad, plenty of top-drawer gore
    Star Trek: Discovery - getting better with every plot twist
    Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency - out there where the buses don't run, like a televisual acid trip
    The Punisher - followed on from the tail end of Daredevil, pretty brutal in places
    The End of the F*cking World - weird, just weird. But great
    The Man in the High Castle
    Westworld - new series out soon :)
    The Crown

Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency. TV Acid Trip ! Couldn't have put it better. Really enjoyed the first season. Just starting season 2.

I'd also like to give a big thumbs up to BOSCH that appears on Amazon. Titus Welliver plays the main protagonist just how I imagined him to be in Michael Connelly books.
    I managed to catch up with all the releases on my last free offer of Prime. Just have to wait for the next time its free.
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,591
    McMafia.
    Well, that was дерьмо
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Ok here's a few that are alright by me.

Britannia
    Six
    Ghosted
    Hogan's Heroes

I have tried with Six but have given up after three episodes as I can't make out a word they are saying.
  • cougie wrote:

Just started watching Altered Carbon last night. Really like the concept, hope it doesn't deteriorate into another "Gumshoe in Space" like quite a few of these kind of things have done in the past.

A bit old hat these days, but the 'reimagined' Battlestar Galactica is worth a go, even if it does get into a bit of socio-political moralising and navel-gazing in places. Made me smile that Richard Hatch has a role as a bad guy. Oh and Tricia Helfer. Nuff said..... :mrgreen:
    "Get a bicycle. You won't regret it if you live"
    Mark Twain
  • Ok here's a few that are alright by me.

Britannia
    Six
    Ghosted
    Hogan's Heroes

Is Britannia any good? Looks a bit on the jokey side, if the clips I've seen are anything to go by...
    "Get a bicycle. You won't regret it if you live"
    Mark Twain
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    I rattled thru Britannia thanks to a dose of the flu. Was quite good fun I thought - as you say a bit of humour in there.
  • crumbschief
    crumbschief Posts: 3,399

Britannia
    Six
    Ghosted
    Hogan's Heroes

Is Britannia any good? Looks a bit on the jokey side, if the clips I've seen are anything to go by...

Loved it so far,does have some humour which is often dark.
  • vimfuego
    vimfuego Posts: 1,783
    Been watching Plebs recently having not stumbled across it before. Basically a sitcom following a group of lads in Roman times who've moved from the sticks into the big city to seek their fortune, but superimposing modern concerns, obsessions and issues onto the time period (you'll see it lazily described as The Inbetweeners in Roman times).

Have to say, as sitcoms go it's pretty good and I've enjoyed it's silliness and cameos: Danny Dyer as a gladiator ("THEY KEEP PUTTING ME UP AGAINST THESE GALLIC MUGS!") Jim Rosenthal as a commentator in the arena (though as his son is in it, to be expected I guess) even Simon Callow.

The show is stolen completely by Grumio the slave though - a sort of apathetic northern Baldrick. Great stuff.
    CS7
    Surrey Hills
    What's a Zwift?
  • cougie
    Love Plebs. It's like a Roman Inbetweeners. New series coming this year too.
  • cougie
    Has anyone watched The Young Offenders ?

The original film is on Netflix and the series is on the iPlayer.
    Excellent program.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,214

Britannia
    Six
    Ghosted
    Hogan's Heroes

No, it was sh1te. I've never got into GoT but the people who were calling it the 'new Game of Thrones' must have watched something completely different.

Another series to avoid if anyone is considering it is Requiem. We watched it as it was filmed in my daughter's friend's house. After each episode I thought it would start to come together in the next one but nope, the conclusion was very odd and underwhelming.
  • pblakeney
    Bosch. Series 4.
    It just keeps getting better. :D
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • cougie
    Can't get the idea of a series about power tools out of my head with that one.
  • pblakeney
    cougie wrote:
    It's a driller right enough. :lol:
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • robert88
    robert88 Posts: 2,696
    PBlakeney wrote:
    cougie wrote:
    It's a driller right enough. :lol:

Hammer action horror?
  • ayjaycee
    ayjaycee Posts: 1,277
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Bosch. Series 4.
    It just keeps getting better. :D

Power tool jokes apart, totally agree on this one - excellent production values and story lines, brilliant cast playing believable characters and all round fantastic TV.

I would also recommend Colony and Designated Survivor. The former is has just started on season 3 and the latter just coming to the end of the second season.
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Specialized Allez Elite (Frame/Forks for sale)
    Specialized Crosstrail Comp Disk (For sale)
  • JTUK
    JTUK Posts: 67
    cougie wrote:

Just started watching Altered Carbon last night. Really like the concept, hope it doesn't deteriorate into another "Gumshoe in Space" like quite a few of these kind of things have done in the past.

First five or six episodes were really good, then it kind of lost the plot towards the end but I enjoyed it anyway.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,484
    Anyone else watching Missions on BBC4?

I've missed a few episodes but what I have seen has been very good. Think I need to go back and watch it through on iPlayer.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    JTUK wrote:
    cougie wrote:

First five or six episodes were really good, then it kind of lost the plot towards the end but I enjoyed it anyway.

That naked fight was a bit interesting. Kind of Westworld Series One.

Glad to see The Bridge is back on. I've missed Saga.
  • Frank Wilson
    Frank Wilson Posts: 930
    I believe the English language version of Craith is about to start on BBC 4. Watched it in Welsh and it was very good apart from the obvious errors with South Walian speakers playing people who had supposedly been born and raised in the North.