Ride London 2018

buckmulligan
buckmulligan Posts: 1,031
As far as I can tell there isn't a thread for this yet? :?

Does anyone know when the ballot results are due? The confirmation email says "early February" so should be soon.

I've also entered the ballot for the Brompton World Championships as a bit of fun, especially considering I don't even currently own a Brompton! I understand the chances in that are fairly slim though :shock:

Comments

• capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,939
    Last year it was 6th Feb if remember rightly.

The older I get, the better I was.

• thefog
    thefog Posts: 197
    Macmillan have emailed suggesting “didn’t get a ballot place?” So I’m suspecting we’ll know the next couple of days.

Last year i logged in to the registration website and you could see if successful, can’t find a link to the site this year though.
  • TheFog wrote:
    Macmillan have emailed suggesting “didn’t get a ballot place?” So I’m suspecting we’ll know the next couple of days.

Last year i logged in to the registration website and you could see if successful, can’t find a link to the site this year though.

I’ve heard that the Magazines / waterproof jackets are going to be sent out starting this Friday.
  • capt_slog
    TheFog wrote:

I’ve heard that the Magazines / waterproof jackets are going to be sent out starting this Friday.

Is that something new?

I suggested it in the feedback last year, I pointed out that they would be more useful than the water bottles they give us (most people have their own anyway).

• mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    As far as I can tell there isn't a thread for this yet? :?
    There was a thread but the moderators closed and removed it. I hope we can keep this one a bit more civilised as this is a big event for amateurs and newbies, and earlier years' threads were a good source of advice.
  • thefog
    thefog Posts: 197
    Announced tomorrow!
  • There’s going to be a Tsunami of toys being thrown out of prams, and beds being wet, brace yourself, INCOMING.
  • There’s going to be a Tsunami of toys being thrown out of prams, and beds being wet, brace yourself, INCOMING.

Worried that someone else is going to be in your official photo again?
  • I got my magazine and letter of regret.

Still gonna go along with my camera on the day!
  • Didn't make the cut :(
  • There’s going to be a Tsunami of toys being thrown out of prams
    Well let me contribute the first bit of sloshing...

That's now SIX years I've applied, and NEVER got a ballot place.

I did it the first two years (2013 and 14) for charity. With my conspiracy theory hat on, I suspect that they look at the answer to "have you done it before" on the application, and if it's 'yes' you go in a lower probability group... with no regard to how you got your earlier place.

I mean, I know it's over-subscribed, but six years and never got one???
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    There’s going to be a Tsunami of toys being thrown out of prams
    Well let me contribute the first bit of sloshing...

That's now SIX years I've applied, and NEVER got a ballot place.

I did it the first two years (2013 and 14) for charity. With my conspiracy theory hat on, I suspect that they look at the answer to "have you done it before" on the application, and if it's 'yes' you go in a lower probability group... with no regard to how you got your earlier place.

I got my knock back again today.
    One of the CCs I'm a member of has 100,yes that's ONE HUNDRED guaranteed Chairidee places with no minimum sponsorship required :roll:
    Maybe if they allocated less Charity places then individuals would have more chance?
  • I know it's over-subscribed

It's probably at least 5 times oversubscribed.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    It's funny cos it wasn't full until the last weekend ? Did everyone leave it really late ?

It's the same people who organise the London Marathon isn't it. I'm quite keen on getting the London Classics medal - so you need to do the London 100, Marathon and a 2m swim in the Serpentine. Just need to get into the 100 first !
  • I got my rejection magazine in the post today, I've been lucky enough to ride the last 2 years so can't complain. I've been successful 2 out of 4 times applying so sounds like I have better luck than others.
    Yeah I know.

Suppose you're right, and the chance of getting a place is 1 in 6. It was probably more than that for the first few years, but let's go with it.

So the probability of not getting a place is 5/6. So the probability of not getting a place for 6 years in a row is (5/6)^6, which is about 1/3.

So it's not really all that unlikely to be in my position.
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • I'm in, failed in the ballot last year but rode for Macmillian... great day and can't wait to ride it again.
  • capt_slog
    edited February 2018

To counter that, my son has applied the last three years and got in every year. (this year I don't know about yet). So he must have been very lucky to be picked on year 2 and 3 if he was in a lower probability group.

UPDATE.
    I've just heard from Mrs Slog, she's home and has just opened my rejection letter for me. That makes 3 out of 3 rejections for me.

I've ridden twice as a charity place in 2017 and 2017, but I'd already decided that I wasn't going to go that route this year. I'm sort of relieved in a way, but it's a bloody good day out and I know I'll miss not doing it when it's around that time.

• I’m riding for Scope again this year, because I got a commiserations magazine, that’s a 50:50 success : commiserations from the ballot, for me, over the years.
    Yeah I know.

Suppose you're right, and the chance of getting a place is 1 in 6. It was probably more than that for the first few years, but let's go with it.

So the probability of not getting a place is 5/6. So the probability of not getting a place for 6 years in a row is (5/6)^6, which is about 1/3.

So it's not really all that unlikely to be in my position.

The ballot draws are separate events so i think the probability stays the same, assuming 1 in 6, for draw. Eg if you buy 2 lottery tickets for the same draw your chances double but if you buy 2 tickets for 2 consecutive draws the odds of winning stay the same for the second draw.

I didn't get in.
  • mike1-2
    mike1-2 Posts: 456
    6 for 6 as well for me, done it once on a charity place but I ended up paying most of the minimum myself as I felt guilty asking for money for something I enjoy. 6/6 rejections is beyond a joke though.
  • capt_slog
    Just heard that my son is out of it too. First reject for him after riding it for the last three years on ballot wins.

I pleased he didn't get in, but I don't mean that how it sounds. we'd both struggle to do it alone, from training up to the event.

Ah well.

• dombo6
    dombo6 Posts: 582
    Third rejection in a row. Disappointed as it's a good day out and I won't go the charity route as I enjoy riding so it'd feel a bit like asking people to give me money to go to the pub.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    I got the reject mag and god they make cycling look hard work. Complicated training sessions. How to fuel. How to hydrate ?

I was just planning on riding my bike but apparently that would be too easy.
  • kingdav
    kingdav Posts: 417
    I've lost count (possibly 4 times unsuccessful), but yet another copy of the commiseration magazine for losers waiting for me at home last night. Hopefully one day I'll do a closed road event.
  • kingdav wrote:
    I've lost count (possibly 4 times unsuccessful), but yet another copy of the commiseration magazine for losers waiting for me at home last night. Hopefully one day I'll do a closed road event.

Try Velothon Wales - I preferred it to RideLondon.
  • dov2711
    dov2711 Posts: 131
    Delighted to keep up my average of having been unsuccessful in every single ballot since it started.
  • Three rejections in a row for me and also my riding partner, we've not ridden it before either. Also had two rejections in a row for the Fred, and haven't ridden that yet.

I'm quite sure I haven't knocked over anyone's cat...
  • I'm in. 2 out of 3 successes for applications, though didn't try last year as did other stuff
  • Fenix wrote:
    I got the reject mag and god they make cycling look hard work. Complicated training sessions. How to fuel. How to hydrate ?

I was just planning on riding my bike but apparently that would be too easy.

It gets a bit like that, it’s mainly ( not so subtle ) advertising for products and services, involving hydration aids / energy gels / bars et.al. when you look beyond the marketing fluff / spin. When all’s said and done, it’s a 100 mile bike ride, not a mission to mars.