6870 Di2 Front Mech very slow motor

philbar72
philbar72 Posts: 2,229
edited February 2018 in Workshop
had Di2 since 2014, and have noticed recently that the motor on the front mech seems to be veeeeeeeeery slow to spin up.

this is with a battery that's at around 20% but also one that's at 100%.

on the 20% battery it just stayed in the outboard (big ring position) when with the 100% battery it shifts fine but sounds slow.... shifting is still immediate (or close to it).

would the motor be dieing?

Comments

• pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    philbar72 wrote:
    had Di2 since 2014, and have noticed recently that the motor on the front mech seems to be veeeeeeeeery slow to spin up.

this is with a battery that's at around 20% but also one that's at 100%.

on the 20% battery it just stayed in the outboard (big ring position) when with the 100% battery it shifts fine but sounds slow.... shifting is still immediate (or close to it).

would the motor be dieing?

Interesting, especially the last quote “sounds slow but shifts immediately”

I would start by plugging it in to a pc and have a look at it in eTube to start with. If you haven’t got the kit take it to a bike shop that has so they can run some diagnostics.

I have no experience of what you are getting, but it sounds like the battery may have had it rather than the FD motor, but of course I could (probably am) be wrong. I base this on my electric toothbrush which gets sluggish when my AA batteries are low on charge - toothbrush motor is fine with new batteries and doesn’t sound sluggish! :lol:

PP
  • philbar72
    haha, have 2 older batteries, so will see whats going on. thanks.
  • philbar72
    Works out the issue was actually a bit of debris behind the motor, that caused it to almost seize.

I gave the whole motor a clean up as well and its now as good as gold.