Do I 'need' a new bike?

desmondo84
desmondo84 Posts: 18
edited March 2018 in MTB buying advice
Getting serious bike envy at the moment and tempted to purchase a Giant advanced trance 1. The local bike shop will do a decent deal on it for me but it's still a chunk of money... (https://www.giant-bicycles.com/nz/trance-advanced-1)

I currently have a Kona process 111 which I bought 2nd hand 3 years ago so is about 5 years old
(http://2014.konaworld.com/process_111.cfm ). I love it but it's just got wear and tare and I'm constantly have to work on it. I usually do two 25 k rides a week - about 700 m climbing and technical grade 4 downhills and some flowy stuff on each ride. Basically wondering would I be better replacing/upgrading the kona e.g. BB, cassette, deraileur etc or just bite the bullet and have a new bike. Haven't bought a brand new bike for about 10 years so am due one...

Comments

• Sounds like you've made your mind up.

I have been down this path for the last 12 months. Umm'ing and Ahhhh'ing over countless nights whether or not to upgrade. Being a father of 2 and the only bread winner, this was a luxury that I had to carefully allow for.

In the end after some strategical financial planning with the minister of finance, I finally purchased my N+1.

A new bike will give you lots of things, one of the biggest advantages is the joy of a new bike which ultimately gets you out there riding more often. It will make you feel good and you will enjoy all those km.

Also, being new hopefully no maintenance and so again, more enjoyable riding.

I say, if the finances are there, then go for it. You can always keep the Kona as a backup or for when a mate/partner wants to join you.

Cheers and good luck !
  • What has ‘need’ got to do with anything?

‘Want’is the word you’re looking for.

And the answer is ‘Yes’
  • slc123
    slc123 Posts: 407
    What has ‘need’ got to do with anything?

‘Want’is the word you’re looking for.

And the answer is ‘Yes’

Very very true...
    Cannondale Trail 27.5 | 2015
    Titus El Chulo 27.5 | 2017
    Trek Slash 9 27.5 | 2015 (building)
  • I was in a similar situation last summer... My Boardman FS has seen better days and constantly needed work after years of use. So instead of buying 1 new bike I replaced it with 2.....
    A modern 150mm full sus and a 29er hard tail... if you are looking for advice from me - you need a new bike :D
  • Haha - maybe I should have went to Mumsnet for advice instead :). Mmmm, there seems to be a common theme here... Other option is to wait to the 2019 models come out and look for more of a discount. I'll take her for a ride today and think about it :).
  • well I ended up buying the bike. best decision I ever made. Amazing.
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    Did you get the Trance?
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • JBA wrote:
    Did you get the Trance?

yeah, can't believe the difference. Climbs well and is just a joy to ride downhill. Never enjoyed my riding so much. Every bike I have bought has been a big step up but I was surprised just how fun the Trance is.
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    Enjoy it.
    I have had a Trance for 18 months and love it.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    with out the reading the OP's post the answer to the title question is always yes. However can I afford a new bike or can i store a new bike may have a different answer but you always need a new bike even if you dont think you do.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.