Giant Toughroad SLR GX0

Comments

• Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    A do it all bike when I don't have to Worry about Strava times.

:)
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,216
    Great write up and photography Pete, what size did you go for? Is the RD cable and hydraulic brake hoses all external, pressfit BB or threaded, rack mounts on rear triangle only? Interesting that this is QR as opposed to Thru axles as on the Defy, TCR and TCX disc bikes. Are those 28 spoke wheels? Thanks.
  • bristolpete
    bristolpete Posts: 2,255
    edited February 2018
    Hey mate, firstly wonderful review and even better pictures.

I currently have a Defy which I use for road use and set up aggressively more akin to a TCR but looking at one of these as a do-it-all bike for when I don't want to worry about Strava times.

I took one for a test ride and felt awesome. Tubeless tyres are amazing !

My only concern and the only reason I haven't yet pulled the trigger is that it comes with quick release rather than through axles.

Do you find this to be an issue at all?

I really enjoyed the test ride and I felt the bike climbed quite well also.... so close to pulling the trigger on this

Hi there,

Well this is effectively defy geo which rides like a dream. I ride M/L as I have the usual UK short legs long reach set up and I have slammed the stem as slack head tube and reasonable length puts my position where I want it.

I am aware it is quick release only and I suspect this is based on budget. But no issues. No noticable brake rub or wobble and so far no issues.

Climbing wise given the ratio involved which is 40 on the back and 40 on the front have had no issues climbing. What I would say it is not a fast climbing bike, but it is not designed to be. In context 2000 feet in a 23 mile gravel ride last week. Does not sound a lot, but that is up and down up and down over the ride.

As a purchase personally, it has been a revelation and the issue I now face is that I have had so much fun doing mixed gravel / road / bridleway / mtb / devon lanes riding there are simply not enough hours in the week to ride or chose a ride. I have found routes via gravel / fire roads that I did not know exists and it has also allowed me to find new routes for my two amazing dogs, my other passion.

Worth noting that Giant do a TCX SX which is equipped with 40c tyres and a through axle set up and similar gearing but having looked at both bikes, I decided that the Tough Road was the right option for me with the marginally lower BB. The TCX SX is stunning though. Giant state it is a revised TCX with fatter tyres and more gears as customer were turning stock TCX ( cross ) bikes into gravel bikes.

Hope that helps ?

Pete.
  • bristolpete
    DJ58 wrote:
    Great write up and photography Pete, what size did you go for? Is the RD cable and hydraulic brake hoses all external, pressfit BB or threaded, rack mounts on rear triangle only? Interesting that this is QR as opposed to Thru axles as on the Defy, TCR and TCX disc bikes. Are those 28 spoke wheels? Thanks.

Cable a bit of both. Threaded BB which is nice - GXP though I would asssume you could run hollowtech if you fancied Shimano on it. Rack mounts front and rear.

Yes, I concur on the axle set up but honestly not an issue.
  • Pete,
    Thank you for the detailed review and response. It's so hard finding any reviews online of this bike let alone real world first hand experience.

Your experiences reflect exactly what I am looking for.

Thanks mate
  • bristolpete
    Pete,
    Thank you for the detailed review and response. It's so hard finding any reviews online of this bike let alone real world first hand experience.

Your experiences reflect exactly what I am looking for.

Thanks mate

No worries, given we have a shocking week forecast I suspect it will be ridden again at length on Tuesday coupled with commutes weds-sun. Love it.
  • Still needs full mudguards if you want to advocate riding in the conditions you claim

Unless your ride distances are low.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • bristolpete
    Still needs full mudguards if you want to advocate riding in the conditions you claim

Poppy c**k. Jesus that sounds like an outmoded club rider mentality. I repeat, getting covered for me at least is part of the fun. Claim ? I have evidence - images above ^ and here.

Pre - wash.

40054879852_37da8cc74a_c.jpg

Post - wash.

40054880872_c0233b1fa6_c.jpg

Distances range from 20 -40 mixed terrain with a 1000 foot climb up Haldon to get to the gravel stuff. Enough for me. Never claimed to be an audax rider, just a fun option / winter commuter,

Cheers.
  • Still needs full mudguards if you want to advocate riding in the conditions you claim

Poppy c**k. Jesus that sounds like an outmoded club rider mentality. I repeat, getting covered for me at least is part of the fun. Claim ? I have evidence - images above ^ and here.

Pre - wash.

40054879852_37da8cc74a_c.jpg

Post - wash.

40054880872_c0233b1fa6_c.jpg

Distances range from 20 -40 mixed terrain with a 1000 foot climb up Haldon to get to the gravel stuff. Enough for me. Never claimed to be an audax rider, just a fun option / winter commuter,

Cheers.

My sentiments exactly - the bike is yours to ride as you wish. Mud guards are optional for those who want them.... end of.

I have a question mate, I was tossing up between something like this and say a Canyon Endurace and then setting it up (or having 2 sets of wheels) one with 32mm gravel/cx tyres and 28mm road tyres.... a bit, dual purpose I guess, rendering my Defy to the "for sale" section.

Or getting the ToughRoad and not caring about where I go because of the chunky tyres and run amok and keep the Defy for the bunch rides and when I feel like sprinting ?
  • Just put a deposit down on one. Can't wait !
  • bristolpete
    Just put a deposit down on one. Can't wait !

Cool. You will love it. Keep the Defy and run this stock and have two very enjoyable options. This rides beautifully on the tarmac, but it is not a road bike as such. When it comes into its own is when you have a "I wonder what is down here moment?". 40 psi on the rough stuff and away you go. For me, as before, has reminded me why we started cycling in our childhood as this brings it all back.

Once me and Chris Wilson, aged 12, cycled from North Bristol to Portishead on our 20" wheeled BMX Raleigh Burner bikes. Simple stuff, no science on the bike, no power meter, No nutrition, enegery, this that and the other, just two kids and a couple of bikes. Top bobbin ! Absolutely f**ked by the time we got there though :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    Sorry mate I'm a little slow to follow on - what do you think of the QR?
    Not an issue at all. I've been riding my cross bike with QR and disc brakes for the last 3 years with no issues, my old MTB had QR and discs also no issues.
  • Veronese68 wrote:
    Sorry mate I'm a little slow to follow on - what do you think of the QR?
    Not an issue at all. I've been riding my cross bike with QR and disc brakes for the last 3 years with no issues, my old MTB had QR and discs also no issues.

Thanks mate - very reassuring.

I was really worried I'd get brake rub and that was the main reason I didn't purchas but put that behind me
  • Just put a deposit down on one. Can't wait !

Cool. You will love it. Keep the Defy and run this stock and have two very enjoyable options. This rides beautifully on the tarmac, but it is not a road bike as such. When it comes into its own is when you have a "I wonder what is down here moment?". 40 psi on the rough stuff and away you go. For me, as before, has reminded me why we started cycling in our childhood as this brings it all back.

Once me and Chris Wilson, aged 12, cycled from North Bristol to Portishead on our 20" wheeled BMX Raleigh Burner bikes. Simple stuff, no science on the bike, no power meter, No nutrition, enegery, this that and the other, just two kids and a couple of bikes. Top bobbin ! Absolutely f**ked by the time we got there though :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

Mate this is the reason I wanted a gravel bike. I currently a 2014 Giant Roam and I've put knobbies on it but it's heavy and cumbersome and the suspension fork is useless but I've taken it on some great rides recently and this piqued my interest in the gravel bikes.

The simplicity of putting the data and computer away and just riding. Take turns down paths you imagined you'd check out one day.... You hit it on the head when you said it's like being a kid again, enjoying riding for what it is :)

Pumped to pick it up :)
  • bristolpete
    Snowmagedden has arrived and the world has stopped. Post office shut, mini Tesco shut. Like a nuclear winter :roll:

Went to work and rode back home, sent on our way, a short day given the looming more snow / landing of the Russian ground troops - yes I have seen Red Dawn. Tough road was a good choice.

40554801161_29fc05cb80_b.jpg

25684022867_8c25369518_b.jpg
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    Luv2ride wrote:
    Same here. Tasty.
    I'm about to covert my Arkose singlespeed to a SRAM Apex1 set up with a Sunrace 11-42 rear cassette. Already running 40mm tubeless tyres and TRP Hylex brakes. As a single speed it's fast, stable and really fun on a variety of terrain. I'm hoping the extra gearing will mean it becomes more of an all day bike able to tackle bigger hills. Sounds like a ghetto version of your Toughroad...

Nice. Having a rig like this switches things up a treat. I forgot about miles in the tank, forgot about power output. Just took the bike where ever I could and plenty more exploring yet. Like being a kid again and why we fell in love with bikes. Great comment in cyclist this month. "we love riding bikes so why ride the fastest all the time when staying out and enjoying it is an option". Forget speed, just ride. My next question is will this do fast MTB type single track. I suspect so.

Hey Pete. Still loving your Toughroad then! I see in a recent pic you have a chain device fitted, even though the drivetrain seems to have a Sram narrow/wide chainring and a clutch rear mech? I still haven't got around to converting my Arkose with the same chain set and rear mech yet, reckon I need a chain device?
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • bristolpete
    Luv2ride wrote:
    Luv2ride wrote:
    Same here. Tasty.
    I'm about to covert my Arkose singlespeed to a SRAM Apex1 set up with a Sunrace 11-42 rear cassette. Already running 40mm tubeless tyres and TRP Hylex brakes. As a single speed it's fast, stable and really fun on a variety of terrain. I'm hoping the extra gearing will mean it becomes more of an all day bike able to tackle bigger hills. Sounds like a ghetto version of your Toughroad...

Nice. Having a rig like this switches things up a treat. I forgot about miles in the tank, forgot about power output. Just took the bike where ever I could and plenty more exploring yet. Like being a kid again and why we fell in love with bikes. Great comment in cyclist this month. "we love riding bikes so why ride the fastest all the time when staying out and enjoying it is an option". Forget speed, just ride. My next question is will this do fast MTB type single track. I suspect so.

Hey Pete. Still loving your Toughroad then! I see in a recent pic you have a chain device fitted, even though the drivetrain seems to have a Sram narrow/wide chainring and a clutch rear mech? I still haven't got around to converting my Arkose with the same chain set and rear mech yet, reckon I need a chain device?

I am yes. Migrating back to the track bike (48 x 16) in commuting terms next week. Power and cadence in March. The Tough Road has been the perfect syrup for winter riding / commuting mixed with the turbo. Faultless and great to have another option in the fleet. Up on hours so far this year and mileage about the same so on target for my yearly haul.

Regarding the chain guide, the bike came like it. I would say it it ain't broke etc, but would do no harm. A paid snow day today so likely just sit and watch some rubbish TV :D
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    ^ I see Evans do a Pinnacle-branded chain device that looks identical to yours for £12.99 so won't break the bank to get one fitted. Odd the Toughroad comes with one though , as thought the narrow-wide / clutch RD ensured the chain shouldn't drop. Maybe your Toughroad is built for much rougher stuff!
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • andyrac
    andyrac Posts: 1,123
    Have to say I'm pretty impressed with the review & write up of this bike; I'd seriously be tempted, however I purchased the TCX SLR 1 in November, and love it; have put Baby Limus tyres on it for mainly off road rides, and have got Hunt Gravel Disc wheels, plus Strada Bianchi tyres for road rides.
    All Road/ Gravel: tbcWinter: tbcMTB: tbcRoad: tbc"Look at the time...." "he's fallen like an old lady on a cruise ship..."
  • bristolpete
    AndyRAC wrote:
    Have to say I'm pretty impressed with the review & write up of this bike; I'd seriously be tempted, however I purchased the TCX SLR 1 in November, and love it; have put Baby Limus tyres on it for mainly off road rides, and have got Hunt Gravel Disc wheels, plus Strada Bianchi tyres for road rides.

Good call, the TCX a solid bike. I looked at the SX version but in the end, went for this. No complaints aside from the fact I want the TCX as well :mrgreen:
  • JSpencer1
    JSpencer1 Posts: 102
    BristolPete, you and I must be fairly local. I live in Pinhoe. Similar thoughts on roads around here. I bought a Cervelo C3 two weeks ago; wider tyres, 1x and hyd discs. One ride in so far but it's brilliant. Ok, it won't offroad like yours, but a massive improvement to the usual cycling I do.
  • bristolpete
    JSpencer1 wrote:
    BristolPete, you and I must be fairly local. I live in Pinhoe. Similar thoughts on roads around here. I bought a Cervelo C3 two weeks ago; wider tyres, 1x and hyd discs. One ride in so far but it's brilliant. Ok, it won't offroad like yours, but a massive improvement to the usual cycling I do.

Sweet. You gotta love a nice Cervelo. Been a Devon boy since being exiled in 2013. Jesus it takes time to get used to riding here. Green lane road biking in effect and so hilly but have come on leaps and bounds as a climber in relative terms. Some rapid bike riders in Mid Devon for sure. When I visit folk up North they cannot believe the relative climbing to mileage etc.

Have a look at this. Got my Mrs. to dump me at the top of Telegraph hill and this is the sort of riding I have found on the Tough Road. Every surface you can imagine over 25 miles inc. a couple of loops of Haldon MTB centre !

40090051122_da39041b6e_b.jpg

39223772565_07666b8b90_b.jpg
  • Mr Cup
    Mr Cup Posts: 3
    Loving mine so far. Such a fun bike to ride.
    I’ll share some of my pictures when I can get them uploaded.
  • Mr Cup
    oc1yxQT.jpg
    Tq2hxQ2.jpg

A few from one of my first rides with it. Looking forward to adding some homemade bags for a few overnighters soon.
  • I am very tempted by this bike. Chatted to the guy in LBS about it and the risk of spinning out. He recommended against toughroad for commuting (His opinion was that it's more like an MTB and not particularly designed for road riding) but I can't help but feel that actually it could be kind of perfect if it werent for that 1x 40 front ring. The tiagra version therefore seems great for me, very interesting prospect having a 32/48 as currently rarely out of small ring on compact chainset. Would be intrigued to hear from anybody who has the GX1 and /or has used it for coommuting/long distance purposes.

Also consdering Audax riding and/or giving LEJOG/JOGLE a go and think this could be the bike to do it on. Again any advice or further reviews gratefully received.

If it is, as he says, mostly just for off-road use I can't see why anybody would buy it, there's plenty of bikes suitable for this purpose - they're called mountain bikes...
  • bristolpete
    I am very tempted by this bike. Chatted to the guy in LBS about it and the risk of spinning out. He recommended against toughroad for commuting (His opinion was that it's more like an MTB and not particularly designed for road riding) but I can't help but feel that actually it could be kind of perfect if it werent for that 1x 40 front ring. The tiagra version therefore seems great for me, very interesting prospect having a 32/48 as currently rarely out of small ring on compact chainset. Would be intrigued to hear from anybody who has the GX1 and /or has used it for coommuting/long distance purposes.

Also consdering Audax riding and/or giving LEJOG/JOGLE a go and think this could be the bike to do it on. Again any advice or further reviews gratefully received.

If it is, as he says, mostly just for off-road use I can't see why anybody would buy it, there's plenty of bikes suitable for this purpose - they're called mountain bikes...

Gotta be honest, this is a very good do it all bike. I have spun out in fast descents yes, but on the whole not often. Have been commuting on mine due to the lingering winter and the fact the cones need servicing on my single speed and this can range from 3, 5, 9 and 13 miles depending on form and weather.

Lets be fair, It does excel off road but I wish to get rid of the 44cm bar, as despite the 'gravel guru' on GCN citing wide bars as more control, I do not like it and run 40cm on my other road bikes so I find 44cm cumbersome / slow at best. I do however suspect that my bike will simply be the perfect syrup from Nov - Spring again when I go back to the turbo on the carbon bikes.

Another thing to note is that Giant added enough clearance for a 29er tyre and this could be another option if folk wanted an MTB style of ride. Double bubble wheel sets.

I would think twice about LEJOG though, hard going unless you put 'slick' tyres on it which would transform it.

No complaints here what so ever.
  • 211dave112
    211dave112 Posts: 125
    I am very tempted by this bike. Chatted to the guy in LBS about it and the risk of spinning out. He recommended against toughroad for commuting (His opinion was that it's more like an MTB and not particularly designed for road riding) but I can't help but feel that actually it could be kind of perfect if it werent for that 1x 40 front ring. The tiagra version therefore seems great for me, very interesting prospect having a 32/48 as currently rarely out of small ring on compact chainset. Would be intrigued to hear from anybody who has the GX1 and /or has used it for coommuting/long distance purposes.

40 x 11 with 40c tyres at 110 rpm is getting on for 34 mph - I'd say that's OK for most commuting (and most other things).

Of course, you could get a 44t (or bigger) chain ring up front and do 37mph at 110rpm (or even 40mph at 120rpm) and the 44x42 gear will still be easier than a compact chainset with an 11-32 at the back.

I'd say it's gearing is pretty much spot on for commuting and touring/long distance stuff and that your LBS guy isn't very well informed.

FWIW, in the UK cross/gravel bikes are quicker on the majority of off-road terrain we have and given the state of the roads they aren't much slower than road bikes on the road. :lol:
  • Mr Cup
    Unless you’re an elite rockstar.... I don’t think you’ll be spinning out often on the bike. It’s comfortable on roads with the stock tires but if you were doing inlyntosd commuting, some slicks would make it even better.
  • maritimer
    maritimer Posts: 1
    I am a couple of weeks into ownership of my Toughroad SLR GX0 and thought I would post my initial feedback while the probationary period is still on :)

Some background... late 40's tall Clyde @ 6'3" and 220lbs. Road bike is a Dale Super Six Evo HM in 60cm. (sub 15lb monster). Have a full suspension Giant Anthem for trying to keep up with my boys in the woods. Need an engine for that.

Went with a large based on the fit chart and for the first time that I can remember, was able to try out both a large and extra large in a fairly local LBS. The bike is stock with exception of the pedals and bottle cages.

As mentioned, the bike is neither light or heavy and I feel is just right for the intended purpose. I looked Cannondale, Rocky Mountain, Trek, Opus, Scott, Garneau, Devinci and more. The Toughroad SLR GX suited what I wanted. I was after a bike that could do it all. From the bad weather rides when the Dale will stay dry to weekends with racks/bags for the the family outings where the kids are having me collect and store the rocks/sticks/sea shells that the kids find and they absolutely must have.

What was intended as an n+1 bike has become my first choice in all but a few situations.. one being a group ride with some of the local speed demons where I have to keep up, or when time is short and if I want to get in my quick 25k ride as fast as possible for fitness. Other than that the Giant gets the nod. Why? It is simply fun. Go anywhere, anytime, in comfort. I can see myself getting a second set of lightweight rims to mount some fast 30's Compass tubeless tires for road ripping and then set up the stock PX2's with 45-50's for exploring and trail riding. Done, one bike for all.

I went with the SRAM Apex config due to familiarization with SRAM Red from my Dale. The shifting is as smooth and precise with the APEX. The lack of a front derailleur was a slight concern early on but has since disappeared. Do you notice the larger gaps in gearing. Sure. Does it bother me. Not at all. If you are primarily a roadie, put a 44 up front and be done with it. If you want one of these and want to have increased gear options, get the GX1 with Tiagra. The Tiagra groupset is underrated. (Note the front crankset is sub compact and not Shimano). For me, the Apex groupset is the bees knees.

In short, love the bike. I now find that I am planning my loops to include as many gravel / back roads and the Toughroad gets the nod 80% of the time now. On tarmac, potholes and road imperfections aren't given a second thought. (which in the North East are a fact of life) Drive over everything!

Giant hit a home run with this one. Wouldn't change a thing.
  • shuttle_cock
    shuttle_cock Posts: 115
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/qAaTt8zpfQYw6KMH
    A bit different to yours, my 2017 Anyroad 2, it's no looker, but like your tough road, it's brilliant fun to ride, and more often than not the bike that gets chosen over the others.

The Tough Road is on the list if funds become available, as they have them. In my Lbs.
    Giant Contend SL 2 Disc
    Giant Defy 3 Adv 2018
    "I brake for cake!"