Too many ads

Anonymous
Anonymous Posts: 79,667
I appreciate that Ads' help pay for a website / forum ....but too many make it a pain in the arse to view..

I now resort to running A-D-B-L-O--C-K-E-R PLUS so that I can view the website.( have to put in spaces as your site will not permit the name of the software to be typed / viewed

I keep getting a message asking me to disable a-d b-l-o-c-k-e-r and in return I will be offered 12 hours ad free content if I do so and watch a short video... I have now lost count on how many times I have done this over the last two weeks and haven't had any ''ad free content'' after disabling my a-d b-l-o-c-k-e-r.

Too many ads either cover the content I am viewing or they are totally inappropriate for the site and Im not going to waste any more time clicking on the little x and reporting it to google ads...as they just come back after refreshing the page

So far - viewing 2 - yes 2 pages I have blocked 44 ads.....

So I ask ...can you reduce the amount of ads on the website and forum?????????????

Comments

• Lagrange
    Lagrange Posts: 652
    I just switch it off when I get the message then switch it back on. Who cares this is a crp site anyway.
  • Anonymous
    19 ads blocked as I view this post ...Come on its getting very annoying
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I'm not having to kill any ads ? I'm using chrome on my phone.
  • Anonymous
    safari on Mac
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,321
    I notice that if I want to go to the home page (which I often do), I get this "...we notice that you are using a d b l o c k i n g software..."
    Yes, I understand that adverts pay for this site but considering that despite using the above software, I have purchased cycling stuff last year in excess of £500. A lot of that, if not all, was based on recommendations on this site either by individuals or via reviews on the home page.
    So, if every forum member was spending that sort of money annually on cycling gear, then the site is surely paying for itself and theoretically, without annoying pop up ads which totally wreck the experience of being on this site.
    Some of the ads are completely removed from cycling and are omnipresent.

I am now in the position that if I want to peruse the home page, I have to first disable the ad flocker?!
    Yet, when I am there, apart from news, what am I doing except looking at shiny bits and possibly buying shiny bits and also looking at the day's offers on the right hand side? After all, these are all links to Wiggle et al.

I will quite happily disable ad flocker for the site if it wasn't for the invasive and relentlessly distracting ads that pop up between posts, at the bottom of the page and sometimes dialogue boxes that have to be deleted if you want to continue doing what you want to do.

Advertising for cycling related products are intrinsic to this site either through those individuals or through the home page and therefore, I do not quite understand the merit or the trade that is generated through pop up ads that are in your face.

Your thoughts please.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Can't see any ads, for obvious reason, but I generally don't mind a couple of discreet ads on any site, but big flashy pop up things, especially if you have to click on them to make them go away, p1ss me off totally and if a site won't let me in because of my protection, their loss.

Especially stupid are the things that pop up as you get to a site asking for a review. Seriously?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    Reduced from 12 hours "ad-free" to one hour....this site is un-usable without blocking the ads!
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    So what - the content is garbage anyway.
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • FishFish wrote:
    So what - the content is garbage anyway.
    Lagrange wrote:
    I just switch it off when I get the message then switch it back on. Who cares this is a crp site anyway.

So,

Why are you still here?