VITUS vintage bike

Jcflo
Jcflo Posts: 4
edited March 2018 in Vintage bikes forum
Hello, new member here. Thanks for having me. So I’m looking for another road bike to buy and I found a VITUS 979 for $600. I’m wondering if you could help me out by giving me your expert opinion if it’s worth it. I’ve been reading up on these aluminum frames and read that there is some give from the bottom bracket if you’re a heavy pedaler. I’m only using this bike to ride to work (11 miles round trip) and around the neighborhood. Thanks for your help.

Comments

• Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Ciao

Is it one of these?

viewtopic.php?f=40119&t=13069604
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Jcflo
    Mathewfalle can’t see the photos. I’m not sure how to post photos on here, raspberries!
  • Matthewfalle
    Scroll down the thread - first set of pics don’t show, they were re- posted about 10 posts in.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Jcflo
    Matthewfalle yes that’s the one. Except it’s black but it has the same raw aluminum dropouts and such with the Dura Ace group set.
  • Matthewfalle
    Wibbly as feck but that's to be expected.

Well cool though and if it's at the right price buy it for retro cool.

Black one with deep rim carbons and tan wall tubs for retro mod bike.

Post piccies!

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • I had a 979 waaaaay back in the early 1990's - liked it but I only weighed about 8lbs (I was so skinny back then - shame I'm not now!).
    Yes, they are a bit flexi but unless you're mashing the thing each journey then it'll be fine.
    What series dura ace group set is it?
  • froze
    froze Posts: 203
    Those vintage Vitus aluminum bikes were quite the cool bike back in the day and they still are unique. If the one you're looking at doesn't have any corrosion on the frame tubes or lugs, make sure where the tubes go into the lugs that there isn't any irregularities, and if you ride it and don't hear any rattling then buy it...at least I would. I can't see the image of the bike your looking at so have no idea of the components on it, so to say $600 is worth it I can't say for sure without more details, if it has Shimano Dura Ace or 600, or some sort of Campy stuff which usually sells for more then yes it is worth the price. If you are a heavy person I probably wouldn't buy that bike, the frames weren't design for a clydesdale. They do have more lateral flex then other bikes so if you're a masher cranking hard up hills you will cause the bottom bracket to flex quite a bit, but if you're not a masher and are more of a smooth type of rider you will find this bike to be quite enjoyable, not alone all the looks you'll get from it.