Track wheels

socrates
socrates Posts: 453
edited February 2018 in Road buying advice
Has anyone out there used Santafixie. There are 4 reviews online, 2 bad and 2 very good. Anyone Elsa have any experience. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Prices don't seem anything special. Also, I personally wouldn't buy serious track kit (assuming that's what you want) from a shop with 'fixie' in its name..
  • socrates
    Thanks for the reply. These are for General road use on a single speed/fixed gear. Any other suggestions out there.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,538
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    socrates wrote:
    Thanks for the reply. These are for General road use on a single speed/fixed gear. Any other suggestions out there.

Might be worth changing the thread title then, seeing as it says 'track wheels'...
  • socrates
    Have also come across Wlkie.com any dealings with them.
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    Track wheels to me says velodrome, or crit, standard fixie wheels BLB etc, infact ive noticed more an more places stocking fixed or flip flop wheelsets.
    Saying that if you have a set of normal wheels currently you could just convert them to a single speed set for not a lot of money, just some spacers and a sprocket.
  • Step83 wrote:
    Track wheels to me says velodrome, or crit, standard fixie wheels BLB etc, infact ive noticed more an more places stocking fixed or flip flop wheelsets.
    Saying that if you have a set of normal wheels currently you could just convert them to a single speed set for not a lot of money, just some spacers and a sprocket.

You can't convert a 130 mm QR hub into a 120 mm bolted.

The thing is all those fixie wheels are much of a muchness, massively overbuilt. On the other hand, the more decent ones, like the Mavic Ellipse or Campagnolo pista are track wheels, so not designed to brake on.
    left the forum March 2023