Looking for new allround wheels.

proph
proph Posts: 10
edited January 2018 in Road buying advice
I am looking for a new light Wheelset. i have limited the choice to two models i am interested in:

Fulcrum Racing Quattro Carbon 799€

Fulcrum Racing Zero C17 719€

The Quattro Carbon looks way nicer, but has the disadvantages of a carbon clincher like bad breaking in the wet. The zero seems to be the one Alloy Wheelset you can't go wrong with... i've read some times now, that the bearings of the Quattros hub are bad and sohuld be changed, but i just want a wheel, that works flawlessly over 10k km and more without any tweaks or so. The one and only thing i would choose the Quattro over the zero are the looks... Is it worth it?

Comments

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,738
    Can't blame you. I much prefer my wheels to be all round.
    Sorry, couldn't resist.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • ayjaycee
    ayjaycee Posts: 1,277
    edited January 2018
    Most of the wheels on the market, even those at 10% of your proposed budget, will work ‘flawlessly over 10K km and more without any tweaks’.
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Specialized Allez Elite (Frame/Forks for sale)
    Specialized Crosstrail Comp Disk (For sale)
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Can't blame you. I much prefer my wheels to be all round.
    Sorry, couldn't resist.

Damn, beaten at the internetz! :)
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    ayjaycee wrote:
    Most of the wheels on the market, even those at 10% of your proposed budget, will work ‘flewlessly over 10 km and more without any tweaks’.

The OP mentioned 10k km not 10km.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • ayjaycee
    ayjaycee Posts: 1,277
    drlodge wrote:
    ayjaycee wrote:
    Most of the wheels on the market, even those at 10% of your proposed budget, will work ‘flewlessly over 10 km and more without any tweaks’.

The OP mentioned 10k km not 10km.

That will teach me to read things properly - thanks for pointing it out. I have amended my original comment accordingly.
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Specialized Allez Elite (Frame/Forks for sale)
    Specialized Crosstrail Comp Disk (For sale)
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    10000km is nothing. I have wheels that have done way more than that and only needed a bearing change. None of them cost 700 euros.

Your falling into the trap of thinking spending more must get you a better wheel but first you need to define better.

Carbon does not have bad braking performance in the wet. You need to put what you think you know aside.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.