Birthday / Wedding clash dilemma

bartman100
bartman100 Posts: 544
edited January 2018 in The cake stop
It's your girlfriend's birthday. Not a special one, just a run of the mill birthday. You've planned a surprise; again, just something humble.

Then your first cousin, to whom you are close, arranges their Wedding on the same day.

Is it unreasonable to suggest going to the Wedding and re-arranging the surprise for another, close by date?

Comments

• figbat
    figbat Posts: 680
    Does the girlfriend know about the surprise thing? If not, maybe rearrange it and then spring it on her at the wedding?
    Cube Reaction GTC Pro 29 for the lumpy stuff
    Cannondale Synapse alloy with 'guards for the winter roads
    Fuji Altamira 2.7 for the summer roads
    Trek 830 Mountain Track frame turned into a gravel bike - for anywhere & everywhere
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    edited January 2018
    Not unreasonable at all. But Miss6899 is one of the rare rational people who won't crack the sh1ts for something as minor as a birthday.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,861
    We changed our holiday because my cousin was getting married - support family

Rearrange surprise
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    If the surprise is on her birthday, you can hardly re-arrange.
    Speak to your cousin, if you r really close, he ll understand, chances are they ll be 100s at the wedding do and you ll not be missed.

i think springing a surprise at wedding might fall flat unless you plan on proposing?
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    At which event are you most likely to get naughties?

Then make that one the priority.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,861
    At which event are you most likely to get naughties?

Then make that one the priority.

If it's in Norfolk, then the family wedding
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,400
    I'd love to go to a Wedding on my birthday and get totally sh!t faced. A nice day out at a happy wedding and a surprise, I'm sure she's be happy with that. If not I'll be your plus one. I'll make myself look pretty for you :D
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    Ben6899 wrote:
    Not unreasonable at all. But Miss6899 is one of the rare rational people who won't crack the sh1ts for something as minor as a birthday. .

+1 for Mrs BM
    But there again when married to me, every day is a birthday. :lol:
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,297
    Ballysmate wrote:
    Ben6899 wrote:
    Not unreasonable at all. But Miss6899 is one of the rare rational people who won't crack the sh1ts for something as minor as a birthday. .

+1 for Mrs BM
    This, except my Mrs is much luckier than Mrs Mate of course. :mrgreen:
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Ballysmate wrote:
    Ben6899 wrote:

+1 for Mrs BM

Which birthday though? Because getting sh1tfaced and playing Twister is a bit different to sh1tting yourself and playing bridge.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    Ben6899 wrote:
    Ballysmate wrote:
    Ben6899 wrote:

+1 for Mrs BM

Which birthday though? Because getting sh1tfaced and playing Twister is a bit different to sh1tting yourself and playing bridge.

If I were in Cambodia. I think I would stick to bridge.
    Those recently arrested there for playing twister are perhaps now sh1tting themselves.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    seanoconn wrote:
    I'd love to go to a Wedding on my birthday and get totally sh!t faced. A nice day out at a happy wedding and a surprise, I'm sure she's be happy with that. If not I'll be your plus one. I'll make myself look pretty for you :D

What If it's a shittt wedding, someone collapses, there's a fight and it rains?

And to compound all that you've messed up her birthday?

We've all been to dull weddings surrounds by dullards. This could be one of those.

To tell the truth, I've always found weddings to be a bit dull. An event for certain kinds of ladies.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    pretend to be ill ... cancel both the surprise and the wedding and go spend the day on the bike
  • bartman100 wrote:
    It's your girlfriend's birthday. Not a special one, just a run of the mill birthday. You've planned a surprise; again, just something humble.

Then your first cousin, to whom you are close, arranges their Wedding on the same day.

Is it unreasonable to suggest going to the Wedding and re-arranging the surprise for another, close by date?

No.