what would you buy?

rebnah
rebnah Posts: 18
edited February 2018 in MTB buying advice
Hi people

Im completely stuck with making up my mind and i would like to get some advice please.

I want one of these 3 Scott scale hardtails. All bikes are brand new. My budget is £2600

Ive got a new pair of Fox factory step cast forks to put on one of them and then i will sell the old/new forks to get back a little money.

1 2016 Scale RC 700 £2399 Outstanding spec. Sram XX1, XTR brakes but old/new would only change shifter to XX1.

2 2017 Scale RC 700 pro £2500 i like the look, new style frame with all 1x11 XT M8000 and would change nothing.

3 2016 Scale 710 £1349 like the colour scheme ,very cheap, not as good frame and would spend savings on changing to 1x11 and new larger cassette, add some spare THOMSON carbon bars i have laying around and maybe wheels.

What would you buy out the three if you was me and why?

Links to bike here:

https://www.westbrookcycles.co.uk/sc...SABEgL7jvD_BwE

https://www.hargrovescycles.co.uk/sc...iABEgKUp_D_BwE

https://www.racycles.com/product/detail/11151

Comments

• rebnah
    Sorry bad links for some reason?
  • JGTR
    JGTR Posts: 1,404
    None really, if I was to buy a lightweight carbon HT race bike it would have to have 29” wheels, pretty pointless with 27.5
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Bad links as you copied and pasted the text from another post somewhere where the displayed text is shortened.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • The Rookie
    Because for an HT XC bike a 29er is faster than a 27.5, it’s just a fact.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    The Rookie wrote:
    Because for an HT XC bike a 29er is faster than a 27.5, it’s just a fact.
    Myth.
  • The Rookie
    Only for those who consider that facts which don’t tie in with their own preconceived ideas are ‘fake news’.

The shallower approach angle of a larger diameter tyre results in less tyre deformation and less energy lost to the tyres hysteresis, just physics.
  • JGTR
    JGTR Posts: 1,404
    It’s been proven time and time again in back to back tests.
  • rebnah
    IS THERE ANY CHANCE WE CAN GET BACK TO MY TOPIC!
  • slc123
    slc123 Posts: 407
    In fairness I think it is sort of on topic. Your question was what one would you buy from the three. As you requested you wanted something fast for XC the advice was to get a 29er. I personally ride a 27.5 because I had a 29er and didn’t find the handling as responsive for more technical riding, however without a doubt it was quicker and could ride over anything. Out of the 3 I would go for the first 1. It’s the 2016 model so probably getting a slightly better deal than the 2017. I also have a slight preference for SRAM drivetrain... ultimately those 2 are pretty similar bikes. I wouldn’t bother with the 3rd option if you have the budget as you’ll end up spending the same amount if you are going to upgrade all the elements you mentioned.
    Cannondale Trail 27.5 | 2015
    Titus El Chulo 27.5 | 2017
    Trek Slash 9 27.5 | 2015 (building)
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    As the first one is now out of stock - there at least, your choice is simplified.

You snooze you lose.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • rebnah
    cooldad wrote:
    As the first one is now out of stock - there at least, your choice is simplified.

You snooze you lose.
    I’ve still got one on hold lol
  • rebnah
    slc123 wrote:
    In fairness I think it is sort of on topic. Your question was what one would you buy from the three. As you requested you wanted something fast for XC the advice was to get a 29er. I personally ride a 27.5 because I had a 29er and didn’t find the handling as responsive for more technical riding, however without a doubt it was quicker and could ride over anything. Out of the 3 I would go for the first 1. It’s the 2016 model so probably getting a slightly better deal than the 2017. I also have a slight preference for SRAM drivetrain... ultimately those 2 are pretty similar bikes. I wouldn’t bother with the 3rd option if you have the budget as you’ll end up spending the same amount if you are going to upgrade all the elements you mentioned.
    Great reply cheers
    I agree with the cheaper one would come out about the same as I would have put SRAM xx1eagle on it.
  • The Rookie
    For fast XC use, bear in mind that 10 speed can work out a fair lighter than 11. I’m using a non-clutch XTR and Sunrace wide range cassette and it’s about 180g lighter than a similar 11 speed setup. Plus XD drivers are heavier than alloy Shimano freehubs (based on my Novatec hub where it’s nearly 30g different).
  • slc123
    The Rookie wrote:
    For fast XC use, bear in mind that 10 speed can work out a fair lighter than 11. I’m using a non-clutch XTR and Sunrace wide range cassette and it’s about 180g lighter than a similar 11 speed setup. Plus XD drivers are heavier than alloy Shimano freehubs (based on my Novatec hub where it’s nearly 30g different).

And the cheaper steel chainrings from SRAM weigh a bloody ton!
  • The Rookie
    Well, about 110g according to SRAM versus about 60g for an alloy (direct mount 28t x-sync).
  • slc123
    28T direct mount (steel) is 133g, so over double the alloy version.