Swapping campagnolo to shimano

shiznit76
shiznit76 Posts: 640
edited February 2018 in Workshop
Hi, I have a bike with campagnolo veloce groupset on it and thinking of switching it fir newer shimano ultegra I have on a different bike I prefer the ride and position on bike. Should it just be a straight switch and just need a different bottom bracket?

Comments

• gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,510
    Yes.
    PM me if you're selling the Veloce group, please.
  • bondurant
    bondurant Posts: 858
    If you're planning on switching things around yourself there are a couple of differences in the tools you would need e.g. to get the old crankset off.
  • shiznit76
    Bondurant wrote:
    If you're planning on switching things around yourself there are a couple of differences in the tools you would need e.g. to get the old crankset off.

God no, i'm a mechanical nightmare!
  • crankycrank
    crankycrank Posts: 1,830
    shiznit76 wrote:
    Should it just be a straight switch and just need a different bottom bracket?
    You may need a different BB if the shells are different, i.e. one is BB30 and the other is English threaded, etc.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    I'd just get used to the Campag gearing - less hassle and cost !
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    You’ll need tools to get the Veloce chainset off. You’d need a Shimano BB. Also, if it’s 10speed you’ll need new cassette.

But as above, just keep it.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • shiznit76
    NapoleonD wrote:
    You’ll need tools to get the Veloce chainset off. You’d need a Shimano BB. Also, if it’s 10speed you’ll need new cassette.

It is swapping camaog veloce for shimano ultegra, is it not worth the upgrade?
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    I think its about equivalent to 105. Would I do the swap ? Probably not.

Up to you though - how much cash do you have spare and do you prefer one massively over the other.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    I'm SRAM through and through, but having just installed Ultegra R8050, I have to admit its damn good. Having small hands, I could never get on with the thumb levers of Campy and a ride buddy with Veloce has had it destroy a rear wheel spokes twice.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Upgrade it to Chorus!!
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • shiznit76
    NapoleonD wrote:

I have shimano 6800 on a giant TCR I bought second hand for a steal and was going switch that on to a bianchi intenso which has the campag veloce, some will scream sacrilege no doubt.
  • mercia_man
    mercia_man Posts: 1,431
    After a quick search on internet it looks like the Intenso has a BSA threaded bottom bracket and the Giant a press fit. So it won't be a straightforward replacement and you will need the appropriate tools to fit and remove your chainsets and bottom brackets. You may well also find you will have to buy and fit new gear/brake cables.

As you say you are not mechanically minded, I would stick with your Veloce if it's working OK. It's a perfectly good groupset and I don't think the hassle would be worth it.
  • shiznit76
    Mercia Man wrote:
    After a quick search on internet it looks like the Intenso has a BSA threaded bottom bracket and the Giant a press fit. So it won't be a straightforward replacement and you will need the appropriate tools to fit and remove your chainsets and bottom brackets. You may well also find you will have to buy and fit new gear/brake cables.

As you say you are not mechanically minded, I would stick with your Veloce if it's working OK. It's a perfectly good groupset and I don't think the hassle would be worth it.

Cheers for finding that out for me., appreciate it,!
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Keep the Veloce - Ultegra is bland.

Or spend the money and upgrade to Chorus.

Whatever you do keep it Campagnolo.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Anyone mention wheels? or at least freehub?

Or can you run a campag cassette with Shimano shifters and derailleurs?
  • Keep the Veloce - Ultegra is bland.

Bland? As in it just works? I'll take bland over 'character' for my groupsets, but maybe not in other areas of my life!
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211

You really are a funny guy. I'll take Shimano over Campy every day, especially when it comes to the cost of replacement parts. As for bland; Ultegra works, so presumably you mean character by Campy going wrong?
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Anyone mention wheels? or at least freehub?

11 speed is interchangeable between the two, so you can run Shimano shifters/derailleur with Campag 11sp wheel/freehub and cassette.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • drlodge wrote:

11 speed is interchangeable between the two, so you can run Shimano shifters/derailleur with Campag 11sp wheel/freehub and cassette.

Cheers - I didn't know that!
  • Matthewfalle
    philthy3 wrote:

You really are a funny guy. I'll take Shimano over Campy every day, especially when it comes to the cost of replacement parts. As for bland; Ultegra works, so presumably you mean character by Campy going wrong?

Bland as in oh, it’s there, change the gear, boring design and action.

Boring to look at, boring to use. Smash it up and you won’t care.

Perfect for a Trek.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • shiznit76
    drlodge wrote:

So take it you can run a Shimano 11 speed cassette freehub with Shimano set up too then?
  • naavt
    naavt Posts: 226
    I always read the same comments when someone wants to make a swap between Shimano and Campy, and every time I do, I ask if folks who say “Shimano simply works” REALLY have ridden Campy, and for how long.

Don’t confuse a different lever action with effectiveness. They are 2 different things.

For those, I recommend a visit to an UNBIASED LBS and ask: “What’s the groupset that gives you LESS profit?”

The answer will be: “Campy! You set it once and leave it be, and that’s why we sell Shimano”.

In the end it’s just like that. I don’t know any Campy user that returned to his LBS to tighten cables after installing a new groupset! But I know many that are constantly fiddling with adjustments with a Shimano.

Besides that, try to buy a Shimano lever, NEW! And I mean, a lever. Not both. Surprise. You can’t! Shimano will only sell you a pair, as only sells a complete front derailleur, or complete rear derailleur.

If you have a new, or even 10 or 20 year old Campy group, crashed your bike and broke a brake lever, or a shift lever, or an inside spring, you can buy those individually. No need to buy a pair of levers.

About cassettes. Yes, they cross work. But if you want the smoothest shift I recommend replacing the hub and cassette. If you don’t want to buy a new hub, Ambrosio makes cassettes spaced for Campy to fit a Shimano hub, and vice versa.
  • naavt wrote:
    I always read the same comments when someone wants to make a swap between Shimano and Campy, and every time I do, I ask if folks who say “Shimano simply works” REALLY have ridden Campy, and for how long.

Don’t confuse a different lever action with effectiveness. They are 2 different things.

For those, I recommend a visit to an UNBIASED LBS and ask: “What’s the groupset that gives you LESS profit?”

The answer will be: “Campy! You set it once and leave it be, and that’s why we sell Shimano”.

In the end it’s just like that. I don’t know any Campy user that returned to his LBS to tighten cables after installing a new groupset! But I know many that are constantly fiddling with adjustments with a Shimano.

Besides that, try to buy a Shimano lever, NEW! And I mean, a lever. Not both. Surprise. You can’t! Shimano will only sell you a pair, as only sells a complete front derailleur, or complete rear derailleur.

If you have a new, or even 10 or 20 year old Campy group, crashed your bike and broke a brake lever, or a shift lever, or an inside spring, you can buy those individually. No need to buy a pair of levers.

About cassettes. Yes, they cross work. But if you want the smoothest shift I recommend replacing the hub and cassette. If you don’t want to buy a new hub, Ambrosio makes cassettes spaced for Campy to fit a Shimano hub, and vice versa.

Wow :lol:
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    All this about Campag lasting forever might apply to Chorus and Record but it certainly does not apply to Veloce. The RH lever has a plastic bit that wears too quickly. This bit of plastic should cost 50p but is only available as part of an assembly that costs as much as a complete new shifter. There are usually some on Ebay being sold for spares because they cost too much to fix.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I ditched campag decades ago as you needed expensive campag only spanners to service it. Shimano cane along and everything was done with an Allen key. Simple.

My Shimano stuff just keeps working. I can't honestly tell you what the last bit of tinkering I had to do with it was. It's reliable.
  • Matthewfalle
    cougie wrote:
    I ditched campag decades ago as you needed expensive campag only spanners to service it. Shimano cane along and everything was done with an Allen key. Simple.

My Shimano stuff just keeps working. I can't honestly tell you what the last bit of tinkering I had to do with it was. It's reliable.

Bland is the word. The Ford Focus 1.6 of the groupset world.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • naavt
    naavt Posts: 226
    lesfirth wrote:
    All this about Campag lasting forever might apply to Chorus and Record but it certainly does not apply to Veloce. The RH lever has a plastic bit that wears too quickly. This bit of plastic should cost 50p but is only available as part of an assembly that costs as much as a complete new shifter. There are usually some on Ebay being sold for spares because they cost too much to fix.

At least here (Portugal), Campy sells that bit alone. If anyone's interested I can ask for price.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    cougie wrote:

I don't need my gears to have character. Just to work and carry on doing so.

A bike full of character sounds like a bike that doesn't work properly unless you know it's tricks.
  • I have Centaur on one bike and 105 on another. Both are reliable enough that I haven't had any issues that haven't been of my making!

Centaur has needed tweaking once (after a flight) in nearly 5000 miles of riding.

105 needs tuning every four weeks or so.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • Matthewfalle
    cougie wrote:
    cougie wrote:

I don't need my gears to have character. Just to work and carry on doing so.

A bike full of character sounds like a bike that doesn't work properly unless you know it's tricks.

No - it means that it's one that works perfect (which isn't difficult as it's a bicycle, not a rocket ship), that's cool, different from the 7,000 others, makes you smile, makes others turn heads and makes them jealous.

Something you'd actually be gutted about if you had it stolen/broke it, not just shrug, claim off the household insurance and order another off the internet.

A carbon bike with an Ultegra groupset doesn't really hit the character mark really. Especially if it's a Trek.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.