Bike with Di2 stored in unheated shed

OldRetiredRider
OldRetiredRider Posts: 7
edited January 2018 in Workshop
I did a search on this and did not find much. I just built a Lynskey R240 with Ultegra 8050 Di2. It is pretty amazing. I live in S.Central Texas and the temps range from 14 to 105. Has anyone experienced a loss of charge or premature battery failure when the bike is stored with high or low temps?

Some devices I own with rechargeable batteries don't take kindly to high and low temps so I'm asking. And is it good to keep the battery top up or to let it be nearly discharged before recharging?

Comments

• pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    Can’t say I have, but then again my Di2 equipped Colnagos sleep with me.... :lol:

PP

Oh and p.s. are we talking Celsius or Fahrenheit? :shock: (that was a joke, no need to answer!) :wink:
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Cold temperatures are good when storing these batteries, but capacity is reduced. Just make sure its sufficiently well charged before riding and you should be OK.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • Oh and p.s. are we talking Celsius or Fahrenheit? :shock: (that was a joke, no need to answer!) :wink:
    PP I actually thought about that as I was drifting off to sleep. We may have global warming but not that warm yet :mrgreen:

Thanks to both of you on the answers. I would have the bike in the bedroom but the other occupant would NOT be pleased!
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    I would have the bike in the bedroom but the other occupant would NOT be pleased!
    yeah, mine isn’t pleased either... :mrgreen:
  • crankycrank
    crankycrank Posts: 1,830
    I'm not a battery expert but after reading enough articles to give me a headache on the subject I think this one seems to give the most agreed upon advise for Li Ion batteries such as the Di2. https://www.cnet.com/how-to/true-or-fal ... ed-to-die/ Describes laptop and phone batteries but the same info applies.
  • Always just stored my di2 equipped bike in a cold, damp shed when it lived in England. Many a sub zero night. Didn't seem to have any effect on the battery whatsoever.