5800 105 shifter performance vs RS505

notleyboy
notleyboy Posts: 14
edited January 2018 in Road buying advice
Hi,

Does anyone have any experience of the shifting performance between mechanical 105 (5800) series shifters and the RS505 shifters?

I realise one is mechanical rim brake and one is hydraulic disc braking, but as I am looking at options for my wife's new bike (a Canyon WMN Endurace 7.0 disc) I am interested to understand if the quality of gear shifting is as good with the non-series RS505 shifters vs the mechanical 5800 105 shifters?

Thanks in advance

Chris

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    It's likely that the same shifter mechanism is used in both assemblies, but even if it isn't I would assume that the shifter 'performance' would be pretty much identical..
  • animal72
    animal72 Posts: 251
    I've got both on 2 of my bikes.
    TBH I can't tell the difference when shifting.
    Condor Super Acciaio, Record, Deda, Pacentis.
    Curtis 853 Handbuilt MTB, XTR, DT Swiss and lots of Hope.
    Genesis Datum Gravel Bike, Pacentis (again).
    Genesis Equilibrium Disc, 105 & H-Plus-Son.

Mostly Steel.
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    I have both and I can not tell any difference. I also have a bike with Ultegra and I can't that from 105. However that is not surprising, I can not tell if my 1500gm. wheels roll or spin up better than my 1800gm. wheels,whether one frame has a stiffer bottom bracket than the other or whether I am riding on 165mm or 172.5mm cranks!
    I don't have much imagination either. :D
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Just watch as Lesfirth gets abducted by some marketeers for re-education....
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    What you can tell is the RS505 shifters are fugly! Beauty is in the eye of the beholder though I guess... :wink:

PP
  • jp4urio
    jp4urio Posts: 16
    I read this the other day myself or I wouldnt post a link to a review, but Road CC think not;

http://road.cc/content/review/181892-sh ... -brake-set

These folks are likely to be hypersensitive to any differences though, for us mere mortals I'd expect there's no notable difference.

As said however they look pretty awkward. I feel this might accentuate over time as the tech inherently downsizes... these might become a bit of a relic.
  • w00dster
    w00dster Posts: 880
    I have RS505 on both my Domane's. I don't mind the appearance and I find them really comfy as well.
    Functionally, hmmmm. I have issues when changing from big to little, the chain occasionally ends up on the chain catcher. Not often but it happens on both bikes, no cross chaining going on either. Not experienced this on my other groupsets (Ultegra and Dura Ace).
    The 5800 105 is only used for bad weather rides, it does get cleaned but I'm not great at fettling so I've just left them. Will be swapping the chain set out to Ultegra in the spring. A bit of rust on the chains but nothing too untoward. Prob about 2000 miles on chains and cassettes.
    I'm guessing the issue is probably my setup.
  • pilot_pete
    w00dster wrote:
    I have issues when changing from big to little, the chain occasionally ends up on the chain catcher...
    I'm guessing the issue is probably my setup.

In my opinion you guess right... :wink:

PP
  • animal72
    animal72 Posts: 251
    I've only ever dropped the chain (fortunately I have a catcher) when doing some off-road I should have used my mountain bike for. Shifting has been perfect since day 1.
    Condor Super Acciaio, Record, Deda, Pacentis.
    Curtis 853 Handbuilt MTB, XTR, DT Swiss and lots of Hope.
    Genesis Datum Gravel Bike, Pacentis (again).
    Genesis Equilibrium Disc, 105 & H-Plus-Son.

Mostly Steel.
  • pilot_pete
    Animal72 wrote:
    I've only ever dropped the chain (fortunately I have a catcher) when doing some off-road I should have used my mountain bike for. Shifting has been perfect since day 1.

Sounds like a properly adjusted front derailleur then... :wink:

PP