Canyon Ultimate CF SLX Disc or Rim

tmr1980
tmr1980 Posts: 48
edited January 2018 in Road buying advice
Looking at purchasing one of the above but 50/50 about which to go for.

Bike is for summer riding (interval trng into work and w'end riding).

Its £3800 for rim version at 7.1kg or £4450 for disc at 7.8kg.

So disc version is an extra £650 for 0.7kg but better control via brakes.

Whats peoples thoughts?

Ps - could drop down to Ultimate CF SL model but dont like the colours!!

Comments

• w00dster
    w00dster Posts: 880
    Entirely down to your preference and whether the additional cost is an issue. Personally i find disc brakes are better performing, but the choice whether you need that level of performance depends on the riding you will doing. Mountains with tricky downhills, caught out by the rain, then disc brakes to me are a no brainer. Nice wide 28mm or 32mm tyres at this time of year are an extra bonus.
    Also if this is your only bike then for me it would be disc brakes.
    Ive mentioned in the other thread i have 2 hydraulic disc brake bikes and a rim brake bike. At the moment I'm just riding the disc brake bikes but for most of my rides id be absolutely fine on rim brakes. Next week I'm training in Snowdon, i wouldn't feel comfortable on rim brakes at this time of year.
    Similar discussion in another thread regarding should i buy disc brake bike already open.
    One of the guys i ride with has the disc brake Ultimate CF SLX and i have to admit it does look the dogs. It certainly doesnt slow him down so i wouldnt let that be a concern.
  • tmr1980
    tmr1980 Posts: 48
    Thanks w00dster

I have a winter bike so this bike will be used from April through Sep, for group ride at w'end and commute into work which is flat but wouldn't do any harm to have disc brakes with all the traffic. Only downside of disc's is the weight which isn't that bigger issue as current summer bike is bit heavier anyway but £750 is quite a bit more money for disc.
  • w00dster
    My next bike i buy will be rim brakes. But only because i have good enough disc brake bikes already. For summer riding id defo go rim brake and put the saved money to a weekend away with the missus, she gets a weekend away, take your bike and everyone's a winner!! Brownie points for you and an awesome new bike. Bonus.
  • Had exactly the same decision to make and in the end I put aside my dislike of the SL colours.... for £3500 you get the top spec SL model with discs, di2 and a climbing wheelset, the frame is barely heavier and by all accounts rides exactly the same.
  • tmr1980 wrote:

So disc version is an extra £650 for 0.7kg but better control via brakes.

Learn to ride a bike properly if control is a problem
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,583
    I'd go disc. You'll have saved the difference in cost when you reach the point at which you'd have worn out your first set of rims on the rim braked model.
  • w00dster
    Rim brake wheels do need to have rims replaced eventually...but i honestly don't see that as a reason to buy a mid/high end disc brake bike.
    For me its about whether or not their is a requirement for it. Doesn't sound like the OP needs it.
    When i bought my last bike (mid last year), i weighed up the use case and this determined what would be best for me. It doesn't sound like OP actually has a requirement that disc brakes meets over rim brakes. I would go as far to say that it would be a negative for him. Heavier more expensive bike with no genuine need in my opinion.
    Good rim brakes are absolutely fine for commuting, but this does require regular cleaning, to some thats accepted but others prefer disc brakes as they just work all the time. My discs just get the crud wiped from them every now and then.
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,439
    If the rim version comes with mavic exalith wheels you'll never need disc brakes. If you need better stopping power than they'll give you, your sliding no matter what brakes you have.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • hypster
    hypster Posts: 1,229
    gsk82 wrote:
    If the rim version comes with mavic exalith wheels you'll never need disc brakes. If you need better stopping power than they'll give you, your sliding no matter what brakes you have.

I think people need to get over this whole disc brake "more power than I'll ever need" fallacy. From the Canyon website:

Disc brakes aren’t about having more braking power, they’re about having more control. Control in the form of improved braking modulation, to be precise. More control means less effort to maintain more speed. The better you can brake, the better you will ride.

If you've ever ridden a bike with disc brakes you'll realise the advantages of control and consistancy in all conditions. You're more liable to lock up rim brakes especially in wet conditions than a disc brake even if you think you are a cycling God.