Combi boilers: Worcester=Shimano, Valliant=Campagnolo?

neeb
neeb Posts: 4,467
edited February 2018 in The cake stop
My ancient combi boiler (Biasi 24S) is probably not long for this world.. I've been reading up on boiler brands and Worcester-Bosch and Valliant seem to be the ones to go for. The more I hear however, the more it sounds like Shimano vs. Campagnolo!

Both brands score very highly on customer satisfaction and performance, although Worcester always seem to have a very slight edge and are marginally cheaper. Valliant however seem to be the engineer's choice, praised for their design quality and solidity, more metal parts as opposed to plastic, ultimately perhaps more serviceable. Sounds familar.. :)

I'm a Campagnolo man so my natural inclination is to go for Valliant. :lol:

Or is there an SRAM boiler brand out there I should be considering?

Comments

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,164
    We dont have a combi but our Baxi central heating boiler has worked faultlessly since it was installed about 10 years ago.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • glenwatt
    glenwatt Posts: 155
    Plus one for a Valliant.

Although I'm a Shimano man through and through ! :lol:
    Glen

Growing old is mandatory; growing up is optional.
  • I install boilers for a living.

Most of us have our preferred makes, and plenty of heating engineers like Worcester. Of the two I would lean toward Vaillant.

However I personally install Viessmann (SRAM option if you like). Have a look into them. Not cheap but ten year warranty as standard at the moment and their back up is second to none, in as far as what that warranty covers, especially if installed by Viessmann trained installer
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,467
    diplodicus wrote:
    I install boilers for a living.

Most of us have our preferred makes, and plenty of heating engineers like Worcester. Of the two I would lean toward Vaillant.

However I personally install Viessmann (SRAM option if you like). Have a look into them. Not cheap but ten year warranty as standard at the moment and their back up is second to none, in as far as what that warranty covers, especially if installed by Viessmann trained installer
    Interesting stuff - Viessmann had slipped under my radar and definitely seem worth shortlisting. After the fun I've been having with my old boiler relaibility is probably my main consideration..
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    I've had a Vokera for the last 15 -16 years or so. It's not done badly - I've had two fixed price repairs in the last 5 years from Vokera and otherwise probably had it serviced about 3 or 4 times or so. The fixed price repairs are pretty good - about £250 and they cover up to £500-£600 of parts plus the labour. So as long as you know when it is properly bust rather than just in need of a service you can get most of the innards replaced for less than £300! Worth looking into what deals the other brands offer for when things do go wrong.

I think different heating engineers have different tastes for boiler brands. If I ever get round to getting my kitchen done I'll probably replace the boiler so interested to see how this thread pans out; but I'd be happy to go with another Vokera.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    We just replaced our inefficient but utterly reliable Baxi back boiler with a Worcester Greenstar condensing job in the airing cupboard. Insisted on the matching system filter to get an extra year on the warranty.

No idea yet about reliability, but all 3 plumbers who quoted specced the very same model.

I do know the gas bill has already fallen by quite a bit, but that could also be because I've been able to fill in the vent required by the old boiler and I've installed insulation beneath the suspended ground floors... .

Shimano me.
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    I have had both (in different houses) ..... it might make a difference to the engineer fitting it, but to the consumer (me) it made sod all difference

the hot water and the heating felt the same to me
    the closed door infront of the boiler stops you seeing the badge
    neither broke

I suppose if you are a boiler cafe snob and you can sit in Costa chatting with some old dude with adenoid issues about your combi boiler it might make a difference
  • Valliant is german so not quite campag, need to go Vokera or Ferroli for that :wink:

I'm a worcester approved installer, so that's who I'd be recommending.
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    Had an Ariston installed 6 years ago. Been trouble free although its innards are plastic. 37kw I could heat the street apparently.

Mate insisted that they had a Vaillant as they were the dogs danglies. Every year he and his family have to sit with their coats on 'til the engineer rocks up.

His missus never mentions it to him though. :lol:
  • big_harv
    big_harv Posts: 512
    Baxi plus Megaflow pressurised tank* installed 2016. While we were in for the expense had the entire rig moved to adjoining garage, less noise and an airing cupboard and some loft space freed up. Not a moment's bother so far.

* rubbish water pressure round my way, too much new housing development. Now runs at 1.5 - 2 bar. Suberb shower.
  • earth
    earth Posts: 934
    neeb wrote:
    My ancient combi boiler (Biasi 24S) is probably not long for this world.. I've been reading up on boiler brands and Worcester-Bosch and Valliant seem to be the ones to go for. The more I hear however, the more it sounds like Shimano vs. Campagnolo!

Both brands score very highly on customer satisfaction and performance, although Worcester always seem to have a very slight edge and are marginally cheaper. Valliant however seem to be the engineer's choice, praised for their design quality and solidity, more metal parts as opposed to plastic, ultimately perhaps more serviceable. Sounds familar.. :)

I'm a Campagnolo man so my natural inclination is to go for Valliant. :lol:

Or is there an SRAM boiler brand out there I should be considering?

I have a Valliant. The engineer took a look at it and said it was in good shape before asking for £500 to replace various parts in it including rubber hoses with copper ones. Make of that what you will.
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,831
    We fitted a Bosch to replace a circa 40yr old boiler.

Whilst it is quicker to heat, does zones and doesn't wake you up when it comes on, haven't really noticed it drinking less oil
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,486
    TLW1 wrote:

Whilst it is quicker to heat, does zones and doesn't wake you up when it comes on, haven't really noticed it drinking less oil

I would guess a lot less R&D has been spent on oil fired boilers as they are a relatively small market. The difference between a new and a 1970s gas boiler is night and day.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    I've got a Worcester Bosch Greenstar 18kw system boiler, 7 years old and works fine but need to upgrade, my plumber recommends Intergas which I've since read up on, and they seem to be very good on the basis of their simplistic design and build.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    rjsterry wrote:
    TLW1 wrote:

I would guess a lot less R&D has been spent on oil fired boilers as they are a relatively small market. The difference between a new and a 1970s gas boiler is night and day.

My 30-ish year old oil-fired Danesmoor is reportedly ~85% efficient. It's not amazing by current gas standards, but it's not terrible either. It's a pretty simple process so not a huge amount to improve upon.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.