Can't ride - going crazy.

seajays
seajays Posts: 331
edited February 2018 in Commuting chat
OK - how do people deal with it when you can't ride the bike because of injury!?

Had an "incident with a horse" - i.e. was tacking her up to ride and she span round kicked and smashed my hand against the wall, fracturing my thumb, and major bruising to the whole hand and arm. Have to wear splint for 4-6 weeks. Only two weeks gone by so far. :cry::cry::cry:

No riding - of either kind - possible (having to catch the bus :evil: ), annoying my OH by moaning about how I wish I could be riding my bike (tried suggesting I could ride one handed - she wasn't going for that idea), and just watched two weeks of good riding weather, nights are getting lighter again etc. go by whilst having to walk and glowering gloomily at happy cyclists zooming past. :lol:
Cannondale CAADX Tiagra 2017
Revolution Courier Race Disc '14
My Strava

Comments

• No turbo?
  • seajays
    No turbo?
    No. :(
    My Strava
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    This is my 5th week without a ride - hope to get out (ie commute) this week - but it'll have to be an "easy" one.
    Mines been Flu related - so other things to bother about - just totally wiped out - mentally & physically ...
  • Seajays wrote:
    No turbo?

It's the way forward, if you have the space to set one up and the pennies to afford it.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Seajays wrote:
    No turbo?

It's the way forward, if you have the space to set one up and the pennies to afford it.

If you're going forward on a turbo you've got it set up wrong.... ;)
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,249
    Seajays wrote:
    ...just watched two weeks of good riding weather...
    It's not that good.
    I've was off for a couple of weeks due to having the plague and it was getting frustrating, but I really didn't feel well enough so that made it easier.
    Hope your hand heals quickly, broke my middle finger a few years back and it took a while. That was completely snapped and then pinned so hopefully yours will heal faster. Good luck with it.
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    Have you tried running as an alternative? Not the same as riding but does get the endorphins going, and uses up the pent up energy.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    It's horrific isn't it. I've got consumption or something, and I've been off the boil for over 3 weeks now. Had a few days off work, then a couple of days back on the bike made me ill again. I've been on the train for a week and a half now, it's horrible, and I feel like crap, and work is terrible at the moment.

I'd love to go out on my bike, but I'd probably die of death.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • Seajays wrote:
    No turbo?

Not an option? If you're anywhere near Kingston, I can lend you one.
  • craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    Good time of year to get out running anyway - throw on a t shirt and wind proof and you'll be too trying to keep cool after a couple of miles
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    normally I would say when you cant ride its time to start building a new bike / upgrading bits, its a good time to take the bike apart as you wont need it together for a while.

I guess though if you have fooked your hand you cant faff with bikes either ???
  • craker wrote:
    Good time of year to get out running anyway - throw on a t shirt and wind proof and you'll be too trying to keep cool after a couple of miles

When I farked my arm the other year, I made it worse by running before it was ready. I took it from uncomfortable to excruciating in 50 minutes.
  • seajays
    Yeah - running is not really my thing. :)

Of course I now have a streaming head cold as well - which I am VERY FIRMLY putting down to my enforced requirement to share the bus with disease-ridden commuters instead of enjoying my fresh air ride to work every day. :lol:
    My Strava
  • cyberknight
    cyberknight Posts: 1,238
    I lost nearly 6 months of decent riding last year, managed the commute painfully but anything over half an hour on the bike was painful.
    Did my shoulder in after front wheel locked up, over the bars and 15 stitches in my face then a few months later a car knocked me off .
    Sometimes you just have to face the fact that you need to rest and wait as im sure my commuting miles might have felt like a victory but the fact is i doubt it helped the healing process.
    Anyway the week ahead looks dodgy , on nighshift cycling on unlit country lanes , snow and ice so im leaning towards car .
    FCN 3/5/9
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    Seajays wrote:

Of course I now have a streaming head cold as well - which I am VERY FIRMLY putting down to my enforced requirement to share the bus with disease-ridden commuters instead of enjoying my fresh air ride to work every day. :lol:

I'd consider Vicks' First Defence when you're thrown into commuting with the public peoples. Yeeeeuck.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    davis wrote:
    Seajays wrote:

I'd consider Vicks' First Defence when you're thrown into commuting with the public peoples. Yeeeeuck.
    Not enough protection.

new-swedish-civil-defence-forsheda-nbc-f2-a4-gas-mask-filter-8184-p.jpg
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk