Do you see a use for this lightweight windproof jacket?

daniel_b
daniel_b Posts: 11,538
edited January 2018 in Road buying advice
Not after advice per se, just curious as to whether anyone on here has one of these, and or finds it useful, or would consider buying it?
Just wondered if anyone who does not have one, would deem the idea behind the jacket to be beneficial to them - try and ignore the price and brand if it prejudices you!

https://www.rapha.cc/gb/en/shop/brevet-flyweight-wind-jacket/product/BEE01XXADD

BEE01XXYEL-Product-H217-01_SMALL
BEE01XXBUR-Product-H217-01_SMALL
Pocketable protection keeps you ready for anything

An extremely lightweight and windproof layer that packs into its own pocket for unobtrusive storage, perfect for use on any adventure.

The lightest jacket we've ever made, at 74g in size Medium.

Designed as the perfectly unobtrusive companion on adventure rides, the Brevet Flyweight Wind Jacket is an extremely packable lightweight layer that offers protection when you most need it. Stowing away into its own pocket, the jacket can be easily kept in a seat pack or jersey pocket, ready and waiting for whatever fate the road has in store for you, whether that’s a late evening downhill dash on an unexpectedly cool descent, or as a cafe-stop cover up. Made of an ultra light ripstop nylon fabric, the jacket is also incredibly durable. A storm placket over the zip helps keep out wind chill, and laser-cut perforations on the side panels allow moisture from perspiration to escape, preventing overheating.

FEATURES
Reflective elements for visibility in low light
Pared-back elasticated cuffs save weight
A low cut back panel offers extra protection when on the bike

FABRIC
Ripstop nylon – durable and lightweight
100% nylon

What I did notice, is that it does not claim to be water resistant or water proof.
Reviews on there seem to be, in the main, positive.
Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
Scott CR1 SL 12
Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
Scott Foil 18

Comments

• joey54321
    joey54321 Posts: 1,297
    Yup, I like the idea (though not the expense). Very useful as an extra layer if you're gonna be out all day and unsure of the temperature, great for riding in the mountains (e.g. Alps) to minimize chill when descending in the summer, good for warm ups/heading to the start of a group ride and will likely to be standing around for bit. Unless you have something like the Gore Active material (I haven't tried it but heard lots of good things) then waterproof will generally not be breathable, often less stretchy material means fit can be harder, be more expensive (brand dependent of course) and be heavier, its all a compromise and you have to take whats important to you.
  • daniel_b
    joey54321 wrote:
    Yup, I like the idea (though not the expense). Very useful as an extra layer if you're gonna be out all day and unsure of the temperature, great for riding in the mountains (e.g. Alps) to minimize chill when descending in the summer, good for warm ups/heading to the start of a group ride and will likely to be standing around for bit. Unless you have something like the Gore Active material (I haven't tried it but heard lots of good things) then waterproof will generally not be breathable, often less stretchy material means fit can be harder, be more expensive (brand dependent of course) and be heavier, its all a compromise and you have to take whats important to you.

Yep good call, hadn't considered that really - as you say, if you want equally as packable, but waterproof too, you need something made with the Gore One fabric, which get the best reviews I've ever seen, but are in the region of £150.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    yeah - I got one from Lusso for £25 odd. basically exactly the same set up, works really well.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Moonbiker
    Moonbiker Posts: 1,706
    Lusso is made in the UK also, unlike the rapha from china.
  • daniel_b
    edited January 2018
    Moonbiker wrote:
    Lusso is made in the UK also, unlike the rapha from china.

*Removed as it was incorrect*

Rapha is not just made in China, think I read a recent article that said they had factories making kit for them in something like 27/37 or more countries :shock:
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • Matthewfalle
    i'll have a look in it tonight and back brief.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • daniel_b
    i'll have a look in it tonight and back brief.

A search of the forum found the thread I was thinking of.

And it is my mistake, no mention in there of Lusso not being 100% made here, so my apologies for that.

I'll edit my previous post!

The two brands it mentioned, which I did indeed get confused about, were Endura, and Vulpine - as in some people on that thread thought they were UK made, but some or all of their items were made abroad.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • paulmon
    paulmon Posts: 315
    I have a Rapha windproof jacket. Really useful on long descents which is the main reason I bought it. Saves faffing with arm warmers, gilets. It often goes in the back pocket of my jersey but rarely gets used in the UK.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I think most of us have a similar jacket in the back pocket don't we ?

Your kit might be fine when you're on the move but if you have a mechanical it's very easy to chill down.
    I've used a cheap karrimor pertex for years. Just wind resistance is all you need.
  • I've been looking at the Castelli Superleggera which looks nice.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • jimmurray
    jimmurray Posts: 130
    I got one and was very disappointed in it. The material is not breathable in the slightest. To get round this they have made lots of perforations but they don't really work. It looks good, it's extremely packable, it stops the wind but it's like wearing a sweat suit. If you read the description of it, it makes no mention of it being breathable unlike the standard Rapha wind jacket.
  • Closest thing I've got to that is a £13 Endura Pakajak, albeit it's marketed as a lightweight shower jacker IIRC, in DanielB colours and everything. ;)

I take it with me on rides around the South Downs when heavy-ish rain is forecast, but it really is not breathable, I boil in the bag! I would be better off rolling my PX Hydrosphere into the bag, or rule #5.

The Altura Peleton Convert I got for ~£30 is sold as a windproof, but even in gillet form, it needs to be <10C outdoors unless I'm taking things very steady.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • daniel_b
    cougie wrote:
    I think most of us have a similar jacket in the back pocket don't we ?

Your kit might be fine when you're on the move but if you have a mechanical it's very easy to chill down.
    I've used a cheap karrimor pertex for years. Just wind resistance is all you need.

I have an Etxeondo one, but not sure it fits me quite well enough anymore - despite it being yellow :D
    I do have a couple of excellent gilets though, the hotpack being one.
    Closest thing I've got to that is a £13 Endura Pakajak, albeit it's marketed as a lightweight shower jacker IIRC, in DanielB colours and everything. ;)

I take it with me on rides around the South Downs when heavy-ish rain is forecast, but it really is not breathable, I boil in the bag! I would be better off rolling my PX Hydrosphere into the bag, or rule #5.

The Altura peloton Convert I got for ~£30 is sold as a windproof, but even in gillet form, it needs to be <10C outdoors unless I'm taking things very steady.

I bagged one of those for my bro for that price, and he was disappointed with it's performance as well :-(
    I've been looking at the Castelli Superleggera which looks nice.

oooh, I like the look of that one, you can probably guess the colourway too :D
    jimmurray wrote:
    I got one and was very disappointed in it. The material is not breathable in the slightest. To get round this they have made lots of perforations but they don't really work. It looks good, it's extremely packable, it stops the wind but it's like wearing a sweat suit. If you read the description of it, it makes no mention of it being breathable unlike the standard Rapha wind jacket.

That seems to tally with the one heavily critical review on the site - although that one talks about against bare skin, not sure if that makes any difference.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    The thing is most of these jackets live in a pocket for months at a time. I'd not spend a huge amount of money on them. I can live with a bit less breathability so long as it keeps the wind off me in crappy conditions.
  • Matthewfalle
    £72 for that? Blimey, big windows in that shop. Stuff that for a game of overpriced soldiers.

All it says is "Lusso, Manchester, 1982" so your guess is as good as mine really.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Moonbiker
    Moonbiker Posts: 1,706
    Lusso do aero socks.
    We tested the Lusso Actvie Aero sock against a standard 4″ none aero cycling sock and found improvements. In our test we used an ex elite rider riding at 290 watt with a power meter, on a TT bike, Lusso skinsuit and Aero helmet. The test was held on a 5 mile course on two separate test days and on both days an improvement was made over the standard cycling sock, resulting in 3 seconds faster the first day and 4 seconds faster second day.

:o

:shock:

Didn't realize aero socks were a thing
  • Matthewfalle
    Moonbiker wrote:
    Lusso do aero socks.
    We tested the Lusso Actvie Aero sock against a standard 4″ none aero cycling sock and found improvements. In our test we used an ex elite rider riding at 290 watt with a power meter, on a TT bike, Lusso skinsuit and Aero helmet. The test was held on a 5 mile course on two separate test days and on both days an improvement was made over the standard cycling sock, resulting in 3 seconds faster the first day and 4 seconds faster second day.

:o

:shock:

Didn't realize aero socks were a thing

Utterly brilliant. They must be taking the pissss.

Then again, bet someone bought them to have aero socks on the Sunday club run with the fast gang .......

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • daniel_b
    What are you guys like.........?!

£15 a foot:

https://www.rapha.cc/gb/en/shop/pro-team-aero-socks/product/APS01XX
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)