Rapha Thermal Pro Team-is there an Assos equivalent?

amack
amack Posts: 70
edited February 2018 in Road buying advice
Got a pair of Rapha Pro team thermal shorts in the recent sale but after barely 100 miles the seat material started bobbling and now after 300 miles or so is showing signs of wear that I would only expect after several thousand- I could swear the bobbling has been there since I got them but maybe my imagination. Nothing wrong with my saddle - Specialized Pro which isn’t damaged or scratched.
So, does anyone know of an equivalent thermal short? Which of the Assos shorts would be similar performance wise? Or are there other brands of similar quality? Thanks.

Comments

• w00dster
    w00dster Posts: 880
    Im normally 100% a rapha fanboy, but i purchased a set of DHB Aeron Roubaix Thermal Knicks (3/4 bibs).
    I was really surprised how comfortable next to the skin they feel, super soft. I used them on Friday, about 6 degrees with a cold wind, no additional leg warmers, felt absolutely fine. Also had them on today, start of ride was 8 degrees with a very strong cold headwind, again they were ideal.
    I'm normally a bit of a brand snob, but was really surprised at the DHB knicks. At this mild temps I'm normally in Pro Team bibs and knee warmers but very happy with the DHB and will be buying another set. For £63 they are a ridiculous bargain.
  • amack
    Thanks w00dster, Wiggle are as good at returns as rapha so worth a punt, thanks. Btw I was surprised at how warm and comfortable the pro team thermals were, I’m not sure too many companies do an equivalent short, they’ve been good(with knee warmers) to 4°c.
  • grenw
    grenw Posts: 803
    Assos Tiburu 3/4s are what I wear for anything between a couple of degrees above zero and up to 15 degrees.

Just going through their 3rd winter (worn once or twice a week) and look almost as good as new.
  • on-yer-bike
    on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
    amack wrote:
    Got a pair of Rapha Pro team thermal shorts in the recent sale but after barely 100 miles the seat material started bobbling and now after 300 miles or so is showing signs of wear that I would only expect after several thousand- I could swear the bobbling has been there since I got them but maybe my imagination. Nothing wrong with my saddle - Specialized Pro which isn’t damaged or scratched.
    So, does anyone know of an equivalent thermal short? Which of the Assos shorts would be similar performance wise? Or are there other brands of similar quality? Thanks.
    People wear stuff and return it and get away with it. You may have bought some previously abused shorts. Mine have been fine. The road conditions where I ride have been wet and gritty, riding without a rear mudguard in these conditions will soon wear out the seat of your shorts.
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • Assos T.607 F.I Mille S5 were the older Assos equivalent. Much more hard wearing than the Rapha equivalent, slightly thicker material.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • Tiburu are the current equivalent.

https://www.assos.com/t-tiburushorts-s7 ... en&cur=GBP

Quite hard to come by cheaply. But will last you a decade
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • amack
    Thanks everyone, I thought the Tiburu was the closest-I read about it on some ejits cycling blog - Roubaix something or other :D .

I have an ass saver but that’s another reason to buy a set of mudguards, roads I ride are often filthy, if it’s not the farmers it’s the builders.

I’ve always fancied Assos 3/4 knickers, I have Sorpasso ones on their third winter but the Castelli pad is just not quite as comfy as others apart from that they’re very warm. I’ll return the rapha thermals and get the tiburus-if Wiggle have any left in my size and add the 3/4 to my wish list. having said that I’ve taken to using knee warmers and find them a bit more versatile than the 3/4. Thanks for your replies
  • ck101
    ck101 Posts: 222
    These are decent, a little longer than the Rapha thermal short.

https://www.probikekit.co.uk/sports-sho ... 0wod4p8DKg
  • amack wrote:
    Thanks everyone, I thought the Tiburu was the closest-I read about it on some ejits cycling blog - Roubaix something or other :D .

I have an ass saver but that’s another reason to buy a set of mudguards, roads I ride are often filthy, if it’s not the farmers it’s the builders.

I’ve always fancied Assos 3/4 knickers, I have Sorpasso ones on their third winter but the Castelli pad is just not quite as comfy as others apart from that they’re very warm. I’ll return the rapha thermals and get the tiburus-if Wiggle have any left in my size and add the 3/4 to my wish list. having said that I’ve taken to using knee warmers and find them a bit more versatile than the 3/4. Thanks for your replies

Don’t forget the ejit covered the new Tiburu Mille 3/4 too. Cheaper than the old ones. Best price at Scotby I think.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • Flâneur
    Flâneur Posts: 3,081
    Don't forget to send them back to Rapha
    Stevo 666 wrote: Come on you Scousers! 20/12/2014
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • amack
    amack wrote:

Don’t forget the ejit covered the new Tiburu Mille 3/4 too. Cheaper than the old ones. Best price at Scotby I think.
    Yup read that review too!

Rapha have offered return or keep them (as they don’t have any of the same size in stock) and receive a 40% real value of the bibs voucher instead. Tempted :D

Yes the Castelli omloop would be a good shout except I’m not overly fussed on their X pad or at least my butt isn’t.