Aaaaargh. Upgrades!!

kieran240885
kieran240885 Posts: 36
edited January 2018 in Workshop
Hey, really simple one this. As stated before, I’m fairly new to this. I have a 2017 carrera virtuoso. Very happy with it but looking to upgrade a few components. Two things: firstly is it worth upgrading anything or just buying a better bike? Secondly, if it is worth spending a little on upgrades where would you start.
Been looking at lighter stems, seat posts etc. Obvs wheels are out cos they’re so expensive.
Thanks for helping a noob.

Comments

• davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    Wheels are generally the best upgrade to *start* with.

However, you said you're very happy with it. What about it do you want to improve?

Honestly it's not a great spec bike. I'd leave it as-is over winter and save up for something shiny if it was my money.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • Yeah that’s kinda what I’ve been thinking.

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/gb/tcr-advanced-1-2018

Until then I was just thinking of tarting it up really. Like I said new stem, new seat post, that sort of thing. Maybe just to even “make it mine” rather than be stock. Maybe even get the (hefty) weight down a little.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    You're not going to make any noticeable difference with stems and seatpost - it's just lost money.

I'd look at better tyres first gp4000s are my faves.

The bike is fine but you'll not turn it into a pro tour bike.

Change stuff if it breaks but otherwise save up for an upgrade.

It's not about the bike though - it's the heart lungs and legs.
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Agree. Tyres are best place to start.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • Again I’d always go with tyres as the best upgrade at this price point. Followed by saddle mainly for comfort. Stock saddles on some bikes can be terrible . More comfortable you are the more you’ll ride. It’s also something you can transfer from bike to bike if you do decide to upgrade and you find one that suits you.