Italian versus the RTW

NucDidds
NucDidds Posts: 15
edited January 2018 in Road buying advice
Hello,

Looking at a new Ultegra 8000 disc carbon bike for sportive etc type riding rather than mixed use or more aggressive geo.

Was thinking of Trek Domane SL but came on here and people seem to suggest Wilier automatically better. Whilst looks are a little better (and I do like the look of Bianchi) does that automatically make them a better bike than US/Taiwanese?

I'd love a F10 Disc but can't justify or afford.

So is there something in this (whether Shimano or Campy) or just history?

Any other suggestions to the Trek gratefully received.

Thanks

Comments

• cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Define better.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,583
    Looks are probably the most important thing so go Italian.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Looks are in the eye of the beholder. There's more than Italian, Taiwanese and American out there. Belgian, German, Canadian etc etc and group sets are down to personal preference and or hand size. My first carbon bike was an Italian made Basso Astra, but my German/Taiwanese Reacto is better looking to me.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,439
    Trek are the Ford of bikes. BOOOOOOORING!
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • Define better.
    That's the nub of the question; is Italian (or European) necessarily better (to ride) than US (Speech, trek or Cannondale).
  • w00dster
    w00dster Posts: 880
    I have the Trek Domane SL, very nice bike. Comfortable without being flexy or feeling like wasting energy.
    I like the colour scheme with mine and think it looks good with the Vision Metron 40mm wheels. Ive done some upgrades and am happy with how it looks and performs.
    For my riding needs its a very capable machine. But i do understand the comments about it being the ford of the bike world.
    I can still do my lunch time 22 mile loop at the same or very similar speed to my Emonda slr or supersix. But the Domane does it without fuss, no rattles or really noticing the rough roads.
    Some people seem to think all Italian bikes are made by an artisan frame builder. Wilier are made in the far east, same as Trek.
    I would say that a Trek is no better than a bianchi or a wilier, or no worse. But there is an image around italian cycling companies based on a romantic history. Doesnt make those ones i mention any better in my opinion.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    gsk82 wrote:
    Trek are the Ford of bikes. BOOOOOOORING!

This. They are dull and tepid.

If you buy the Trek you're only going to be disappointed.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • mercia_man
    mercia_man Posts: 1,431
    Buy the bike you like the look of. Unless you go high end, all carbon bike frames are made in Taiwan and China (with several different brands often being made in the same factory) and are built up with Shimano components and finishing kit all made in the Far East. There's nothing wrong with that.

Misty-eyed riders bang on about their Bianchis or Wilers having Italian "soul" but it's just marketing.