Just a mechanical or skulduggery?

cornerblock
cornerblock Posts: 3,228
edited January 2018 in Workshop
Out for a ride this morning and the creak from the crankset, which I'd first became aware of last week, seemed to be even more noticeable. So noticeable as to be quite annoying. Oh well I thought to myself 'just crack on and sort it out later on when you get home'.

Then I hit the first climb of the day and try to drop into the small chainring and 'damn!' I drop the chain off the inner ring. So off I get, bend down to put the chain back on when I'm shocked to see that there are only two chainring bolts! Three of them are missing from the Rotor 3D, nothing there just holes! Obviously I'm then aware how wobbly the whole chain set is and decide to take no chances in going any further and turn around and head back home, taking it nice and steady.

My question. Is it possible or feasible for three bolts to work themselves loose and fall out? Or I wonder, is that something highly unlikely and it might be something far more sinister? The other worrying thing is that the only two remaining bolts were loose as well! Now I have been working at a different place last week and have been leaving the bike in the basement. Nice and secure from theft but pretty quiet down there.

My better half was immediately of the opinion that something dodgy was afoot and no way would all three just fall out. She does watch a lot of Midsomer Murders though! So it's left me wondering has somebody been trying to steal the crankset and been disturbed in completing the job or is it just bad luck? Despite my wife's vivid imagination I'm pretty sure I've not upset anybody that much! :-)

Comments

• Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    If you’ve never touched the crankset bolts then yup, they could have come loose.

Shows the value of glancing over bits every couple of weeks.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • cornerblock
    You're right there. It's usually a quick tyres, brakes, skewers check and away I go with me. I shall definitely be a bit more thorough in the future.
  • Matthewfalle
    Cool - now don’t go all weird and communter and cycle club member and test every nut and bolt every time you go out for for a ride but once a month grab a glass of wine and 20 Bensons and just have 15 minutes looking over the bike with a Ritchey tourque key in your hand.

Do it a couple of times then you’ll find that you’re on top of everything.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • cornerblock
    I like the sound of the wine but I'll give the snouts a miss!
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Definitely possible to lose bolts. I've done that in the past. If you don't maintain the bike properly you won't notice a loose nut and if one goes - the others will follow sooner rather than later.
  • cornerblock
    Thanks cougie, I suspected as much. I'm sure it'll put my wife's mind at rest. Or will it?! Hmmm? :shock:
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    i think what's happened is the rotor bolts which are made of cheese were overtightened and failed, i've been warned by two different bike shops to go easy on those bolts. I had all of mine come loose at the same time.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Maybe she hates you and was just trying to deflect suspicion.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,480
    has your mrs taken out a life insurance policy on you recently?

Might want to check your brakes...
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    I would buy some replacement (Uberbike do good ones) chainring bolts and use a bit of blue loctite on them if I were you. I learnt that years ago after a similar incident (lost two but all of them had worked loose).

PP
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    I went through a phase a few years ago where I was going through chainring bolts on my fixie like they were some kind of consumable! I’m a pretty cackhanded mechanic and couldn’t seem to get them all properly tight without them coming loose again. Think I got my LBS to sort it in the end.

As others have said - yes, they can just work loose by themselves (which would make them a particularly good thing to sabotage on someone’s bike without raising suspicon!)
  • Matthewfalle
    I'd just drink wine, smoke Bensons and do them up occasionally.

Sometimes you can just over think this stuff.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Unless the bike is firmly secured and a thief was desperate for your Rotor cranks, i'd say its the bolts working loose. If a thief wanted your Rotor cranks, they'd take the bike and dismantle it at leisure away from the risk of being disturbed. Stick a little bit of lactate on them in future.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,297
    philthy3 wrote:
    Stick a little bit of lactate on them in future.
    I think crank bolts should have Loctite on, just highlighting this one because the autocorrect made me smile.
  • cornerblock
    Veronese68 wrote:
    philthy3 wrote:
    I think crank bolts should have Loctite on, just highlighting this one because the autocorrect made me smile.

:lol: Yes I think lactate is used where the spokes meet the rim.
  • While on the subject of chainsets and creaking. My winter bike was creaking like a b!tch yesterday. I have been riding it in the wet a lot and though the bottom bracket was just on its way out . So before I ride today, off comes the chainset, removed the crappy Shimano B.B. that was on there and replaced it with a much better Hope one which was spare for the TT bike. While all the bike is in bits, I greased and clean up every contact point as per usual. Give the chainring bolts a check tighten. All good there. Then reassemble. Sorted.

I then go out on about 30 minutes later and it’s STILL creaking like a b!tch! WTF? I decide to ride on and sort it later. About 20km into the ride, in the wind with lots of puddles and rain, it stops creaking. I get out the saddle, not a peep. Silence. It suddenly just cured itself. No idea how or why. All the way home the only squeak is from occasionally from the pedal but Inknow about that being Speedplay n all. I’m dumbfounded. Can’t find anything that could have been causing it other than the BB. But since the new one fitted is a brand new Hope one it couldn’t be that too. Not from new. Spooky.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Is it not the saddle squeaking then ?
  • cougie wrote:
    Is it not the saddle squeaking then ?

No, was there when out the saddle, in fact yesterday it was worse than when seated. It would go from the tell tale click once per rotation to a very loud creak when out of the saddle and applying more power. But now just silence. Everything points to BB bearings. But when you fit a brand new one - and not exactly cheap type either and it still creaks.....
  • Matthewfalle
    No frame damage around the bb?

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Veronese68 wrote:
    philthy3 wrote:

Apple has many things to answer for. :x :D
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.