IS 49/37 bearing bottom headset

naavt
naavt Posts: 226
edited January 2018 in Workshop
I'm in the process of assembling a new bike from scratch.

Finding the right BB bearings for the frame (BB86), was a challenge at first, since my crankset has a 30mm spindle, but managed to find a ceramic version of PF4130 from Rotor.

Now I'm dealing with the only bit that's missing to make it all work. Headset.

I've found some here and there but none seems to be from a reliable maker. Even Cane Creek doesn't seem to have the bottom bearing that I need (IS 49/37). I've sent them an email and I'm expecting a reply, but no 49/37 on their website.

I know that IS 49/37 is mainly used on Cervélo and Specialized framesets, so there has to be some options out there.

I would appreciated any kind of insight on this. Thanks.

Comments

• naavt
    No one?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    What's a 'reliable maker'?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • You miss the height of the bearing in your measurement... this MIGHT be what you are looking for

https://simplybearings.co.uk/shop/p2000 ... _info.html
    left the forum March 2023
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    When it stops raining i’ll Wander outside to 5he garage and see what’s on my old Cervelo - those numbers ring a bell.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • naavt
    cooldad wrote:

Probably many that I can't think of right now, but on the top of my head comes FSA, Cane Creek, Chris King... You're welcome to give your 2 cents.
    You miss the height of the bearing in your measurement... this MIGHT be what you are looking for

https://simplybearings.co.uk/shop/p2000 ... _info.html

That's a good find for the bottom bearing. Thanks. I'm going to search for the right Cane Creek Crown Race for it. Bottom stack is 7mm if I'm not mistaken, so 6,5mm is spot on and the angle seems to be 45º, which is also what I need.

When it stops raining i’ll Wander outside to 5he garage and see what’s on my old Cervelo - those numbers ring a bell.

Thanks
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    naavt wrote:
    cooldad wrote:

Probably many that I can't think of right now, but on the top of my head comes FSA, Cane Creek, Chris King... You're welcome to give your 2 cents.

They generally don't make bearings, they buy them in. So Endura, SKF etc are decent bearings. Unless you are actually looking for a new headset.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    CAne Creek 36/45 and performed faultlessly before my massive power broke the frame.

£12 or so from CRC.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • naavt
    cooldad wrote:
    naavt wrote:
    cooldad wrote:

They generally don't make bearings, they buy them in. So Endura, SKF etc are decent bearings. Unless you are actually looking for a new headset.

New bike. Since the frame does have a top cap on the top head tube, I assume that I’ll only need both bearings and a Crown Race right?