GPS log, pause or not?

rolfaalders
rolfaalders Posts: 12
edited April 2018 in Road beginners
So, I'm this beginner, just starting to ride on a 'regular city bike', obviously using Strava to track my progress. I like it.

But... how should I handle the coffee stop when recording the ride on my GPS?
Should I hit " Pause ride/track" not to let the break affect my averages? If I do so, the second part of the track will be misleading, since I've had time to recover while the GPS log does not show this.
Or should I not pause when on a break and let my averages drop massively?

What is the common practice? Hitting pause, or not?

I know, really a lame question and not really an issue, but still, I wonder what is the common practice :)

Thanks

Comments

• cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Everyone I know pauses. But entirely up to you.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Mine's set to pause. I'm already slow enough :D
  • Depends how much battery I've got, how long the stop is, and I weigh that up against the chance that I'm going to forget to hit "start" again straight away.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Riding pal of mine used to always come back with faster averages than me for the same rides. He then admitted that he'd changed the autopause to stop at 5mph so every red light his average speed would work out better than mine as it would pause and only start once he was getting up to speed.
  • cougie wrote:
    Riding pal of mine used to always come back with faster averages than me for the same rides. He then admitted that he'd changed the autopause to stop at 5mph so every red light his average speed would work out better than mine as it would pause and only start once he was getting up to speed.

See, that's wat I mean... There's no fun in that
  • Strava does that anyway doesn't it? Calculates "riding time" and "elapsed time".
  • Autopausing doesn't affect segment times, it still logs the start and end time.

Autopausing may affect an avg speed, but it should only be set to pause right at ZERO or a 1/2mph if you plan on track standing stops. That is if you care that much about avg speed.

But, I don't care about avg speed on a ride. I care about wattage zones and KJ or TSS score. Can't cheat that. You can set it to ignore zeros, but that still doesn't affect your time spent in "zones". If I need an endurance ride of XXXX KJ, I ride XXXX KJ in that zone.

If you've got a GPS you can log segment times on Strava. Use that instead of gross/overall avg speed for rides.

I feel group rides need to stop posting avg group ride speeds, it's worthless. That would end all this. Just say it is no-drop. If it is a drop ride, I'd assume it's folks who would know their w/kg OR would know their racing class. Just say it is a Cat 3/4/5 ride or a Cat 1/2 ride. Or drop and regroup after the hill.

Sorry, just a thing I don't care for at all. I used to care when I started, I even made a thread about it on here saying I wanted to avg a speed for some odd time.
  • Strava does that anyway doesn't it? Calculates "riding time" and "elapsed time".

That's my understanding too, the average speed shown is for moving time only, for all rides.

I've never used auto pause, but I guess if you can change the threshold at which auto pause kicks in (at say 5mph vs 2mph), then it will fudge the average speed further.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo

• I've never used auto pause, but I guess if you can change the threshold at which auto pause kicks in (at say 5mph vs 2mph), then it will fudge the average speed further.

I really don't get why for the 2mph/5mph thing. Was there a logical reason vendors included this option? Perhaps if the GPS signal seems to be crap in the area and it thinks you're jumping around you could auto-pause it to avoid that?
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    I pause it and turn it off for a cafe stop, which saves battery and allows you to continue the same ride when you get back on the bike. I have forgotten to restart it occasionally and done a mile or two which comes out as a straight line on Strava!

PP
  • Dmak
    Dmak Posts: 445
    I set my Garmin to auto-pause at 1.5mph, it's quite disheartening to have your Garmin constantly pausing and unpausing on a steep road. It happened to me on White Down Lane and I certainly wasn't going that slow. Some areas do have bad/erratic GPS coverage.

If you don't, Strava will just figure it out anyway.
  • My wahoo is set to auto pause - stationary for a few moments and it pauses, resumes as soon as you start going again. easy and no 'min speed' 'cheating' ;-)
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,924
    I don't know about other devices but if you have a Garmin 520 you can avoid having situations where you've Paused the device and then forgotten to restart .......

Just do the following .....
    Menu>>Settings>>Activity Profile
    Select a Profile
    Select Start Notice
    Select Start Notice Mode
    then select an option - I use Repeat
    Then select Repeat Delay - I use 15 seconds

No more straight line rides
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • If using Strava on a phone then it will automatically have ride time vs elapsed time so no need to do anything . If you're using GPS on a device (watch / Bike computer) then everyone I know sets an auto pause.
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,924
    If using Strava on a phone then it will automatically have ride time vs elapsed time so no need to do anything . If you're using GPS on a device (watch / Bike computer) then everyone I know sets an auto pause.

Yes, a lot (maybe most) use autopause but when they stop at, say, a cafe stop some do a manual pause to stop the recording starting/stopping all the time the device is in their pocket (to stop it being nicked) and moving around in the cafe... just an example of when people may do a manual pause. It's in those sort of circumstances where people often forget to restart and hence lose the recording of some of their ride.
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • Dabber wrote:
    I don't know about other devices but if you have a Garmin 520 you can avoid having situations where you've Paused the device and then forgotten to restart .......

Just do the following .....
    Menu>>Settings>>Activity Profile
    Select a Profile
    Select Start Notice
    Select Start Notice Mode
    then select an option - I use Repeat
    Then select Repeat Delay - I use 15 seconds

No more straight line rides

Thanks! I set off and forgot to restart recently, so I'll set this up as well
  • motogull
    motogull Posts: 325
    I wouldn't trust myself to unpause it.
  • w00dster
    w00dster Posts: 880
    Mine isn’t set to auto pause and I don’t pause it at the coffee shop. Strava kind of works out the average, but I’m not overly concerned for most rides. Far too many variables in a ride to take average speed as anything meaningful.
    If I was worried about the average speed of a ride I wouldn’t stop for a coffee.....party pooper I know!