Heritage Day

Hiltaldo
Hiltaldo Posts: 14
edited January 2018 in Vintage bikes forum
Hi folks, I was chatting with Sean McAdam who’s the manager of Ken Fosters Cycles in Chorlton, Manchester (and the organiser of the Pendle Witches Vintage Velo once upon a time).

We got to talking about holding a heritage / vintage cycling day in the Summer at the shop giving people a chance to show off their steeds to other like minded folk and then possible leisure procession ride through Chorlton. We’re thinking vintage clothing, bikes and like minded folk with coffee, pastries and possibly beer. Not looking to charge anything just trying to gauge interest. Don’t want to put something on an nobody turn up!

I would appreciate people’s thoughts and advice

Comments

• Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Adivice n1: Don't use the word steed.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Adivice n1: Don't use the word steed.

Fair enough. Was trying to keep it light hearted but thanks for the input
  • defever
    defever Posts: 171
    Good idea Hiltaldo, but sounds pretty local based gathering.

I'm sure you have, but there's this in June, not too far from Manchester:

Eroica Britannia

It's in Newhaven in Peak District and it's a full blown weekend camping event, which I appreciated not the same scale as you are proposing.

Do you have a good mass of "vintage" cyclists locally?

Though I'm from the south so it'll be too far for me, keep up posted on the idea!

Happy cycling!
  • defever wrote:
    Good idea Hiltaldo, but sounds pretty local based gathering.

I'm sure you have, but there's this in June, not too far from Manchester:

Eroica Britannia

It's in Newhaven in Peak District and it's a full blown weekend camping event, which I appreciated not the same scale as you are proposing.

Do you have a good mass of "vintage" cyclists locally?

Though I'm from the south so it'll be too far for me, keep up posted on the idea!

Happy cycling!

Yeah I know about Eroica but it does seem expensive for what it is. I’m not knocking it, just another chance for vintage bike outing!
  • lakesluddite
    lakesluddite Posts: 1,337
    This is NW based (South Lakes), much less of an 'event', but much less expensive:

https://sportivelakes.co.uk/index.php/velo-retro

It's my home town (since last August!), and I went last year, but not to ride as I don't own a vintage bike. The atmosphere was very nice, more a case of a few market stalls, vintage dress etc. Some lovely looking vintage bikes as well. It's far more of a local event (Ulverston seems to have a festival every month during spring/summer/autumn), but the ride will be in the South Lakes lanes, so pretty much guaranteed great views (if not guaranteed great weather - but it was very warm and sunny in 2017).
    Plus last friday saw the opening of a new Premier Inn, so an inexpensive place to stay if you need it.
  • cld531c
    cld531c Posts: 517
    That looks good....