Running Dura Ace Pulleys in an Ultegra 6800 Derailleur?

buckmulligan
buckmulligan Posts: 1,031
edited January 2018 in Workshop
Hi,

The jockey wheels on my Ultegra derailleur have seen better days, so I was considering replacing them whilst my bike is in pieces over the winter. I gather the Dura Ace jockey wheels use sealed cartridge bearings in them rather than the bushings on the cheaper models and I like the idea of not having to clean and regrease them so regularly.

Does anyone know if the Dura Ace 9000/9100 jockey wheels would be a straight swap for an Ultegra 6800-SS derailleur?

Many thanks, Adam

Comments

• super_davo
    super_davo Posts: 1,134
    It'll work. But Tacx make sealed bearing jockey wheels much cheaper.
    Also the Ultegra 6800 jockey wheels have one that's a sealed bearing, and one that's a ceramic bushing. So they are way more tolerant of lax maintenance than brass bushings for example.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Dunno about that specifically but I thought that Ultegra jockey wheels already had bearings?

I was thinking of putting Ultegra ones in my 105 and Tiagra rear mechs when they wear out
  • super_davo
    super_davo Posts: 1,134
    keef66 wrote:
    Dunno about that specifically but I thought that Ultegra jockey wheels already had bearings?

I was thinking of putting Ultegra ones in my 105 and Tiagra rear mechs when they wear out

On Ultegra one's a bearing, ones a bushing. But a very posh ceramic bushing. Much better than the brass bushings in 105 and below, it won't gunk up if your maintenance isn't spot on. I've changed my 105 mechs for a spare set I had and works great.

Can recommend Tacx sealed bearing wheels when they do wear out - cheaper and work really well.
  • buckmulligan
    buckmulligan Posts: 1,031
    Thanks for the replies.

I wasn't aware of the sealed bearing in one of the Ultegra jockey wheels, shows how much attention I pay when I service them!

I checked the Shimano Technical docs and they suggest that in the 6800-SS/GS they're both bushings, but maybe they've made a running upgrade to them or something?
  • crankycrank
    crankycrank Posts: 1,830
    super_davo wrote:
    Can recommend Tacx sealed bearing wheels when they do wear out - cheaper and work really well.
    +1. These have actual contained sealed ball bearings. I've replaced several versions of Ultegra wheels with these and work just as well as the Shimano OEM. One small bonus is that they don't have several parts to put in place when installing in the cage like the Shimano do with the rubber seal and metal cover. Not a big deal really but the Tacx are cheaper and no difference in performance. Fit and forget, no servicing necessary.
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    I'm using the Hope ones - seem well built and lasted well....
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D