Bottom Bracket Direct Mount Brakes - Adjustment

poptart242
poptart242 Posts: 531
edited January 2018 in Workshop
Morning all,

Bit of a task last night trying to centre my bottom bracket brakes on my foil - simply cannot get it even at all!

I know there's the small pad adjustment screw, but what I'm looking to do is simply widen the clearance of the pads...is that possible with Ultegra 6800 direct mount brakes? I'm genuinely stumped.

Comments

• StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    I have the same system on my Merida Reacto. It is, by far, the worst design in the history of rear brake positioning. Aside from getting covered in crud, even on a slightly damp day or not being able to hear any slight binding, rear wheel removal and adjustment of the brake are problematic. I knew beforehand that the rear brake was an issue, so stumped for 105 instead of shelling out extra for something equally as bad. I can either have the brakes firm, but struggle getting the rear wheel out and in, or barely effective, but able to do the aforementioned wheel removal without problem. There doesn't seem to be a happy medium.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • Honestly, I'm thinking I might just sand down my brake pads a bit and make do. Terrible design. I sort of accept it as they work, and if it helps with the compliance (and it is super comfortable) I'm not against it on a mostly dry weather bike... but still.
  • laguna
    laguna Posts: 24
    Have you got a Shimano SM-C90 fitted? These allow the brake to open/close to allow easier wheel removal and block distance adjustment.
  • laguna wrote:
    Have you got a Shimano SM-C90 fitted? These allow the brake to open/close to allow easier wheel removal and block distance adjustment.

Is this the in line quick release? If so, when I leave it open, lever feel dies a death to be honest. Bit of a non-starter I'm afraid. No issues getting the wheel out though.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    laguna wrote:

Barely makes any difference. All the reviews of the Reacto series lambast the direct mount rear brake, even on the top end models. Any perceived benefit of mounting it under the BB housing, is lost by its ineffectiveness. I set mine up with the SM-C90 closed and the adjustment barrel of it wound out a couple of turns. I clamp the brake cable with the pads just closed on the wheel rim and then wind in the SM-C90's barrel to give some clearance. I get responsive rear brake action, but not ideal clearance when removing the rear wheel.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.