Bike advice....

milese
milese Posts: 1,233
edited January 2018 in Cyclocross
Sorry for another which bike thread but.......

Which bike would you recommend?

I'm quite an experienced roadie / tester who did a bit of cx racing a few years ago. I've since sold my focus mares cx bike and am now in the market for something else.

It seems sensible to get disc brakes, never used cable discs, are they any good? Not fussed on alloy vrs carbon for fashion, but want lightweight. Min 105 spec.

Are there better options than the PX XLS?

I'm probably looking at spending around £900 to 1300. I'm 5'8", ride a road bike of around 53cm.

Any advice appreciated, happy to go secondhand and spend less or perhaps grab a deal on 2017 stock?

Comments

• trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    If you aren't afraid of second hand I'd be looking out for a secondhand Crux, Boone or Addict.
    The XLS is good for the money though, and if I was going for discs I'd only entertain hydraulics. Also SRAM over Shimnao.
  • rokt
    rokt Posts: 493
    I’ve just spent quite some time looking for my first CX bike and the two things that jumped out at me are, hydraulic is a must and Sram 1 X is the way to go.

I looked at and test rode lots of bikes and I found for a carbon bike the Planet X XLS felt very heavy and the frame felt very dated. I think that the Boardman CX, the £900 one from Halfords offers the best value for money without a doubt and definitely worth a look.

In the end I spent a bit more than planned and ordered a Giant TCX SLR 1, but the £1400 SLR 2 is worth a look or if you can find last years model in your size I’ve seen upto 30% of these. In my opinion the Gaint TCX frame is about the best about for the money.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,069
    The Giant TCX has very Euro geometry, which doesn't suit everyone. You have to really wrestle them round slow, tight corners as a result.

Don't get cable discs, but if you must then Spyres are the only ones worth considering. But hydraulics are a quantum leap better so stretch to them if your budget allows.
  • rokt
    I found the TCX handling at low speed and tight situations to be excellent, that was one of the main factors in choosing it over the other models. Just go’s to show how different we all are !
  • milese
    Very tempted by this.

https://m.h2gear.co.uk/124375/products/ ... did=124375

I've not experienced thru axles before, what are the implications for replacement wheels? Presumably it means I can't easily swap in the wheels from my 11 speed, disc, road bike?

What sort of wheel upgrade would I be able to get for about 200?
  • milese
    Does anyone know the weight of the TCX SLR 1?
  • rokt
    I think you must give the TCX a test ride, I’m sure you’ll love it. Much to my shame Giant have never been on my radar and I do know why, they really do make a nice frame.

As for weight, I’ve just received a phone call from my LBS and I can collect my TCX SLR 1 on Monday afternoon, so I’ll let you know then.
  • andyp
    I bought the 2013 model I think, and it was heavy for a race bike. The wheels and cranks were especially weighty.

My plan was always to swap out the wheels so it didn't bother me that much, but the stock ones were over 4 kgs with tyres and tubes.
  • andyp
    If I were in the market now for a cross bike to race, I'd look at the Trek Crockett first, it's a fantastic race frame and good value for money.
  • milese
    I’ve just bought a used 2015 TCX SLR 1 with hydraulics. Good price, perhaps leaves some scope for some new wheels!! 15mm they axel though- can hubs be converted to this or do I need a build with specific hub?
  • rokt
    Picked up my Giant TCX SLR 1 yesterday and ready to ride with Eggbeater 3's it weighs 9.05kg,
    so at just over 9kg I can live with that !
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    Milese wrote:
    I’ve just bought a used 2015 TCX SLR 1 with hydraulics. Good price, perhaps leaves some scope for some new wheels!! 15mm they axel though- can hubs be converted to this or do I need a build with specific hub?
    Some hubs have changeable end caps so can be used with QR, 12mm or 15mm with the appropriate caps. So either something like that or the specific one you need.
  • andyp
    Milese wrote:

A number of manufacturers offer changeable end caps, including Hope, DT Swiss and Novatec. I was swapping a pair of Hope hubs between thru axle and QR end caps last season, and it was a two minute job to swap them over.
  • milese
    andyp wrote:
    Milese wrote:

A number of manufacturers offer changeable end caps, including Hope, DT Swiss and Novatec. I was swapping a pair of Hope hubs between thru axle and QR end caps last season, and it was a two minute job to swap them over.

Thanks for the replies.

So is that any hope, dt Swiss or novatec wheels? Or do I still nees to be careful?

Sounds good though, makes it much easier to match a front and rear wheel which have different axel standards.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    Milese wrote:
    So is that any hope, dt Swiss or novatec wheels? Or do I still nees to be careful?
    Not sure about others but my older Novatec 711/712 didn't, but the newer 771/772 do. Best to check with the seller.