125 to 150 dropper advice

kester
kester Posts: 79
edited March 2018 in MTB general
Hi

I’m in need of a new dropper post after my one has died and is going to cost £120 to repair. I’m looking at getting a 150mm reverb that is 440mm long, my current x-fusion is 125mm with 420mm length. I ride with 60mm extra of my seatpost on top of the 125mm out of the seat tube so the extra 25mm of drop won’t affect me when on flats/climbs.

Added a photo for guidance. (Can’t take a better photo as bike is in shop)

U7f0pTl.jpg

What im worried about is having the full 150mm in the drop position could this bottom out on my seat tube/frame and cause any damage??

I would get another 125mm post but many companies dont seem to do anything in the 420mm post length, all seem to be closer to 390mm and due to my long legs that would put the post under the min inset line.

Cheers in advance.

Comments

• JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    No, it won't bottom out when lowered.
    The stanchion is contained wholly within the outer part of the seat post. If it is ok when fully extended it will be ok when fully retracted.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Check you can insert the longer post by the longer overall length, it only means pushing your current one down and extra 2cm to check.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    Late to this but a new seal kit for £20 will sort the Hilo and its easy to work on. You'll need a large strap wrench and oil.

Just serviced my Hilo SL after it lost pressure ans leaked oil. New seals and its perfect.