Replacement parts after a crash

Dmort
Dmort Posts: 8
edited January 2018 in Road general
About 3 miles into my ride today I get hit by a guy opening his car door. I wasn't too close - it was an big truck and the door was pretty long. Anyways, I was fine but I sheered my right shifter in half and wrecked my right pedal.

The question is: I currently have 10 speed 5700 components. It seems to not make much sense to replace the shifters with like for like, instead I'm thinking about 11 speed. On the used market, are 5800 and 6800 about the same price or is 6800 still pricey even after R8000?

Is there a big performance difference between 5800 and 6800 or is the difference primarily weight? I'm not a racer so I don't really mind a little weight. But I would pay a bit more for improved shifting.

Finally, I'm pretty sure that a 10 speed chain ring works fine on 11 speed. If it doesn't, I'm just going with 5700 replacements as I can't afford to swing a new crankset.

This going on a gt gts elite. Nicely made, but basic, aluminum frameset.

Comments

• shiznit76
    shiznit76 Posts: 640
    Dmort wrote:

Is there a big performance difference between 5800 and 6800 or is the difference primarily weight? I'm not a racer so I don't really mind a little weight. But I would pay a bit more for improved shifting.

Difference in weight and shifting is minimal,you probably won't even be able tell difference, 105 stuff is very good
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Shouldn't he be paying for the damage. I'm sure you're not supposed to open your doors without checking.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,333
    cooldad wrote:
    Shouldn't he be paying for the damage. I'm sure you're not supposed to open your doors without checking.
    You shouldn't, it's an offence (that's rarely prosecuted for) and he is liable.
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    Only if he plays ball though - unless you have witness(es) and or video it will be hard to prove him guilty if his story is the polar opposite to yours...

PP
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Veronese68 wrote:
    cooldad wrote:
    You shouldn't, it's an offence (that's rarely prosecuted for) and he is liable.

Which is why the Dutch Reach is the way forward.

But how many of us, including those are are cyclists, do it?
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,333

Very much so, but you're right I don't do it. I think it's a habit that is very hard to teach yourself having done it the normal way for so long.
  • kingdav
    kingdav Posts: 417
    I'm pretty sure I have a surplus 10sp 105 RH shifter in my spares box you can have. It was on a bianchi I bought for a mate but the LH one was broken so I bought a pair of replacements.

I think it it's a 5600 though. Definitely has the side-exiting gear cable rather than under tape which is why I replaced with a 5700 pair. Anyway, you're welcome to it if you want it.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Veronese68 wrote:

Very much so, but you're right I don't do it. I think it's a habit that is very hard to teach yourself having done it the normal way for so long.

Agree completely - I start my car engine with my door open without thinking but have to remind myself about The Reach every time.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.

• Agree completely - I start my car engine with my door open without thinking

Why?
    Genuine question btw.