Waterproof suggestions please?

cyclingkate
cyclingkate Posts: 36
edited January 2018 in Women's cycling forum
Hello,

I am a newbie cyclist. I have been out and about plenty on my bike now and am loving it....apart from when there is a torrential downpour!

I have a thick warm waterproof but it has zero breathability. :roll:
I am looking to join the local cycling club and do some sportives this summer, so could anybody recommend a relatively affordable waterproof please?

Thanks in advance :lol:

Comments

• kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    Have a think about what type of jacket you want and when you are likely to wear it. I have two gore bike wear jackets, a thicker warm one for the winter (up to 10c) and a thin windproof for the warmer weather (above 10c) which is very lightweight easily packs into a Jersey pocket.

My wife has a windstopper gore bike wear jacket which works well for her as she feels the cold. It is breathable and keeps light rain off unless it is a prolonged. We bought it less than half price from evans cycles. Similar to the one below.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/gore-bike-wear- ... ll-jacket/

All breathable jackets stop being breathable in prolonged rain but soon dry out.
  • jrich
    jrich Posts: 278
    I don't think it's really worth getting a proper waterproof because like you say - they're not very breathable. You never quite realise how much you can sweat while riding until you put on a waterproof that stops the moisture evaporating!

I think a better option is to invest in some lightweight merino wool base layers which you can wear if you know it's going to be wet (they must fit tight to the skin to be fully effective). These will keen you warm once you get wet. Also, for summer use I would just carry a lightweight packable windproof (not waterproof) jacket in my back pocket/spare bottle cage and then put that on whilst it's raining. That will keep the chill off until you have dried out again.

If you're going out for many hours in the rain then it's worth getting a dedicated jacket. Something like a Castelli Gabba is great although on the expensive side and probably too warm for mid summer use. I have a Gabba gillet (castelli Fawsome) which is perfect when it's a bit too hot for the jacket but not quite summer yet. Hopefully the summer will be warm enough that getting wet occasionally won't be a problem!

I think if you've got a wool base layer, standard jersey and a lightweight windproof jacket in the back pocket then you are prepared for 95% of summer riding. Obviously arm and leg warmers can be worn as and when desired but hopefully they'll soon be going away (and staying away!) until the autumn.
  • johnboy183
    johnboy183 Posts: 832
    Check out wiggle and their in house brand dhb. Always gets good reviews for decent prices. Good place to start
  • pitters
    pitters Posts: 12
    It’s a tricky one. I have a proviz jacket as my commute is in dark on country lanes. It keeps me dry and visible but it’s a bit warm when the temp increases. It’s a perfect winter waterproof. I have a showerproof jacket that I use for the rest of the year .