I talk a lot of bollox!
  • hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129
    I just read the thread. :D
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    hopkinb wrote:
    I talk a lot of bollox!

You've come to the right place. Lot of it about.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    Beer with pizza, it’s the law. Didn’t click the link but I guess that’s Vtwonk the wine expert. Guess he knows as much as wine as he did cars.
    Been to opticians, eyes only a little worse than last time so no need for new specs at the moment.
  • ballysmate
    Pinno wrote:
    hopkinb wrote:
    Ooh, you lucky boozy buggers. You must report back on the Macon Pinno.

Surprisingly good especially for an impulse buy and only £6.49. It's always a lottery at that price.

What can I say? It's rich, sweet but slightly dry. It will do nicely.

I find I get a little dehydrated with red SG and i'm planning a pedal tomorrow morning. Besides, not really having the vino with the pizza.
    Pizza was home made.

Never mind fannying around making pizza bases, BIRTHDAY CAKE!
    That's what you should be doing with 7 pink candles.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,196
    hopkinb wrote:
    Ballysmate wrote:

Thought £5.75 had been established as the benchmark where wine is no longer regarded as cheap.
    Given UK duty, VAT, bottling, transport, producer profit, merchant profit, I think at £6 you're getting 50 pence worth of wine, £10 you're getting £3 of wine, £20 you're getting £6 to £7 of wine. £30 and upwards you are paying for producer/vineyard/mystique.
    So, the jump from the £6 bottle to the £10 to £12 bottle is where the biggest quality to price jump is. But it's all about your budget, and what you are willing to spend.

I quite agree. However, I would quite happily spend £30 on a bottle of wine but you are not guaranteed to get a good bottle, although it's more probable.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • ballysmate
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Beer with pizza, it’s the law. Didn’t click the link but I guess that’s Vtwonk the wine expert. Guess he knows as much as wine as he did cars.
    Been to opticians, eyes only a little worse than last time so no need for new specs at the moment.

No it wasn't him.
    It was the master of seduction from Wimbledon.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,196
    Veronese68 wrote:

Assumption is a dangerous thing. Click on the link.

@Bally - she was crook. I was going to bake her a chocolate cake but she has saw her lunch twice.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    None of you lot watching Midsomer Murders?
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • ballysmate

Never ever seen an episode.
    Anyone got their norks out in Midsomer?
  • hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129
    Pinno wrote:
    hopkinb wrote:
    Ballysmate wrote:

Thought £5.75 had been established as the benchmark where wine is no longer regarded as cheap.
    Given UK duty, VAT, bottling, transport, producer profit, merchant profit, I think at £6 you're getting 50 pence worth of wine, £10 you're getting £3 of wine, £20 you're getting £6 to £7 of wine. £30 and upwards you are paying for producer/vineyard/mystique.
    So, the jump from the £6 bottle to the £10 to £12 bottle is where the biggest quality to price jump is. But it's all about your budget, and what you are willing to spend.

I quite agree. However, I would quite happily spend £30 on a bottle of wine but you are not guaranteed to get a good bottle, although it's more probable.

The only wine I have spent £30 on in the last 5 years is a late harvest Jurançon. Nectar of the gods. I know sweet wine is not fashionable, or to everyone's taste, but this stuff is totally & utterly gorgeous.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,167
    Blues Brothers. And MOTD soon.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    Ballysmate wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:

No it wasn't him.
    It was the master of seduction from Wimbledon.
    Aah, I'd forgotten that one. :oops:
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Whah - shut the front door.

No one saw that one coming. Amateurishly brilliant.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.