Moët And Muesli

meanredspider
meanredspider Posts: 12,337
edited August 2018 in Commuting chat
Ha - I’m in the Emirates lounge in Dubai - halfway between Singapore and Heathrow with tears of joy and relief literally rolling down my face. It’s 4.30 am and I have a glass of champagne and a bowl of muesli in front of me.

Just heard that Eve’s chimerism numbers have finally flipped: blood 100% donor, lymphocytes 99% donor. For those that don’t have a clue what this means (and I wouldn’t have) it’s a Good Thing and I’m very happy. Though frustrated to be where I am. But f*** it, i’ll live with it :wink:

This on a day that we heard one of the lasses on the ward, blind from her treatment, is now putting together her bucket list as her brain tumour is back. And Eve’s best friend on the ward has relapsed and now needs a transplant. Life (cancer in particular) is brutal.

Grab the Good Things.
ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH

Comments

• All the best to you. Words can be cheap in the face of real and raw emotion so I'll just say again all the best to you and yours.
    Look after yourself and each other and as my dad would say "don't get captured out there".
  • Great news MRS
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,294
    Great news for you and yours MRS, really pleased for you.
    Hope things work out as best they can for the other two.
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    Chap, great news. Still time to pick six numbers...
  • msmancunia
    msmancunia Posts: 1,415
    Great news - it's always nice when someone gets one over on the big C.
    Commute: Chadderton - Sportcity
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    awesome news, shame we missed each other in Dubai by a few hours i'd defo bought you a few drinks to celebrate

cheers!
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Fantastic news!

Glad to hear, though sad for the others clearly.
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    Awesome.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,559
    davis wrote:
    Awesome.
    ^ This.
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • johngti
    johngti Posts: 2,508
    Really pleased. I’m a bit of a stranger here but have kept checking back for news. Glad things are moving positively
  • meanredspider
    Thank you, all.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    I hate seeing the headlines of children being killed - the latest one is an 8yo girl - supposedly stabbed by her own father - why?! it's just nuts.
    Slightly less nuts is the illnesses that take children - that's (IMHO) down to terrible luck - and whilst it's still terrible at least it's nothing that (we know) we've done to cause it - it's heartbreaking to hear of little ones struggling and losing the battle.

What we rarely hear about is when a child recovers from a serious illness - that makes tears come to my eyes too - but for all the right reasons. So - raising a virtual glass to you and your family - life is hard enough without all the extras - at least you can go and enjoy it now :)
  • wolfsbane2k
    wolfsbane2k Posts: 3,056
    MRS, that's frikking awesome news. So glad to hear it!

Bottoms up to you and all your family.

Cheers!
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    That's great news.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Oh my god, that's fantastic! Is she still in Addenbrookes? Either way I've been sparing a thought for you each time I'm passing.
  • Great news. Really pleased for Eve and for you all
    GET WHEEZY - WALNUT LUNG RACING TEAM™
  • meanredspider
    Thanks again, everybody.
    keef66 wrote:
    Oh my god, that's fantastic! Is she still in Addenbrookes? Either way I've been sparing a thought for you each time I'm passing.

She’s not an inpatient these days but she’s there at least once a week (twice this week). Hope to find out on Friday what the next steps look like.
  • meanredspider
    Quick update:

Latest tests still negative for the NPM1 mutation so, 21 months after she left, she’ll be able to return to finish her degree. Not completely behind us - they’ll still test her bone marrow for another year - but life might start to approximate to something a bit more normal. I’m exhausted.

8 years after his diagnosis, the boy left Cambridge with a first class degree a few weeks back, so we know these things can turn out well.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,717
    Nice to read some good news!
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • indyp
    indyp Posts: 735
    Lovely news MRS
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    That's great news :)
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,608
    Brilliant news, MRS!
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I'm so happy for all of you, on both counts!
  • meanredspider
    Thanks, folks!