Garmin 520 HRM

rouleur23
rouleur23 Posts: 175
edited January 2018 in Road general
Hi, trying to find a HRM for a gsrmin 520. Many that are for sale cater for the 510 etc and my question is this....if it works with the 510...does it REALLY not work with the 520? I mean, why do they do this sort of thing?
Thanks

Comments

• cgfw201
    cgfw201 Posts: 674
    they are all compatible with one another. ANT+ is universal, any garmin/wahoo/polar/other heart rate monitor will be compatible with any head unit which received ANT+ (ALL OF THEM).

Only exceptions are when you need bluetooth, eg when connecting to a phone/tablet, as Garmin accessories don't have Bluetooth.
  • cgfw201 wrote:
    they are all compatible with one another. ANT+ is universal, any garmin/wahoo/polar/other heart rate monitor will be compatible with any head unit which received ANT+ (ALL OF THEM).

Only exceptions are when you need bluetooth, eg when connecting to a phone/tablet, as Garmin accessories don't have Bluetooth.

I changed my garmin HRM for a polar strap with the garmin pod 5 years ago, failed in the Autumn and I punted on a lifeline HRM from Wiggle - so far so good and half the price of a Garmin equivalent- oh and I have a 520
  • rouleur23
    cgfw201 wrote:

Thank you!
  • rouleur23
    Rollemynot wrote:
    cgfw201 wrote:

I changed my garmin HRM for a polar strap with the garmin pod 5 years ago, failed in the Autumn and I punted on a lifeline HRM from Wiggle - so far so good and half the price of a Garmin equivalent- oh and I have a 520

Thanks. Noted. Will buy Garmin brand only
  • wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 1,001
    cgfw201 wrote:

Polar don't support ANT+.
  • The Garmin hr monitors are rubbish! Id go polar or Wahoo
    Paracyclist
    @Bigmitch_racing
    2010 Specialized Tricross (commuter)
    2014 Whyte T129-S
    2016 Specialized Tarmac Ultegra Di2
    Big Mitch - YouTube
  • Wahoo Tickr is excellent and broadcasts on Ant+ and BTLE so as future proof as can be hoped for.
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    The Decathlon Ant+Hr strap is great. https://www.decathlon.co.uk/ant-2-heart-rate-monitor-belt-id_8114954.html

They also do an ANT+/bluetooth one for a couple of quid more if you want to use it with bluetooth devices.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris