Willer saddle made in Italy: Any info??

defever
defever Posts: 171
edited January 2018 in Vintage bikes forum
Good morning fellow vintage cyclists,

Just trying ti identify the saddle that's on my bike (Belgian bike Ludo 1983):

IMG_2320.jpg

Typical 80s fat shape, little padding saddle. All I can see is "Willer" written on the side and "made in Italy" at the underside. No other description. Size is around 130 x 270mm

Google search doesn't reveal anything on Willer saddle and Google keeps suggesting "Wilier", but I'm certain it's not Wilier brand.

Does "Willer" refer to a brand name or one of the model names from a saddle brand?

Any info on this will be very helpful.

Thank you and happy cycling!

Comments

• Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Ciao

Think it's just a generic old saddle with a hole in it I'm afraid - not much to really report on it.

Time to upgrade to that brown Selle Italia one I sent you the link to.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • defever
    Thanks Matt,

As I expected, nothing special about the saddle, I guess.

I've been looking at "period" saddle from Selle, namely Turbo (iconic in 80s) and Flite (iconic in 90s) (this guy explains it well):

YouTube: Selle Italia Turbo & Flite Saddles (by Excel Sports)

Turbo:
    DSC_3738.jpg

Flite:
    3224DCC3-5432-4206-AC31-CD64FDAD19FC.jpeg

Willer saddle is probably inspired by Turbo, the shape is pretty much the 80s. Apparently, Selle re-introduced these two models due to popularity; but the current production isn't as the original. The cover is now synthetic as to real leather in original. Plus the logos are apparently "glued" as to printed in the original so they come off after a ride, according to one of the product reviews I read somewhere (maybe on Chain Reaction).

Matt, I thought you were referring to Turbo, but in fact you were on about the SLR; yup they do look nice and maybe minimal brown colour (compared to brown in Turbo) might not look too bad.

I’ll keep you posted on the progress. Just waiting for 38cm ITM drop bar to arrive.
  • Matthewfalle
    Sweet re bar.

I’m using a Flite on the cx bike and it’s really nice - maybe a bit long for me but I use SLRs on everything else so am used to a short saddle. Comfy but not racy, if you know what I mean.

I’m thinking the shape of the SLR may work better on your bike as it has thin tubing so a larger saddle may may it look top heavy - thing tubing/thin bars/thin saddle.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • term1te
    term1te Posts: 1,462
    I switched from a Charge spoon to a Turbo on my vintage Moser a while back. I was surprised how comfortable it was/is, even on all day rides.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    This was THE saddle to have in the early 80s...

http://road.cc/content/review/8258-sell ... rco-concor
  • defever
    Thanks everyone,

I've never really looked into the saddle and its considerations (i.e. size, comfort, shape, weight etc.). I've got on well with the Willer saddle that happened to be on the bike. I do get occasional aches around ischial tuberosity if I haven't cycled for a while, but that fates away after a day or so. Nothing critical.

So I'm purely going to the "look" at the moment. Turbo / San Marco Concor are "period" (thanks Term1te and cougie for mentioning these) but looks a bit fat. Flite on the other hand, I like the slimness and the simplicity.

I'll take my time on finding the right saddle, as I'm only considering changing purely for looks. Willer is perfectly fine for now.

Happy cycling!
  • Matthewfalle
    Vintage/retro stuff is all about looks unlike it its something wonderful and divine like Dirk, the best bike that has ever been and will ever be on this forum, in which case it is extreme performance allied to looks - a sort of cryogenioc engineered Nina meets Pendleton.

So that basically means brown SLR saddle for you.

Best buy it now. I'm going to buy one next week just because.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • defever
    I really don't know about drown saddle on Ludo... there's no other browness on the bike...

I'm sure it'll look good on yours, though.

Knock off "slim" saddle from Hong Kong?:

ROCKBROS Cycling Bicycle Saddle MTB Road Bike Saddle Seat Steel Rail 3 Colors (£9.29)

DSC_4412_zps98802b66.jpg

DSC_4410_zps25d8eadf.jpg
  • Matthewfalle
    Looks lush in brown. Buy it.

Green saddle on Vitus thing - retro means you can contrast parts.

Go on, you know it makes sense.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.