Giant Toughroad SLR GX0

bristolpete
bristolpete Posts: 2,255
edited February 2019 in Your road bikes
Bought this as a go to do it all / winter commute / mix it up bike. Some of the roads / lanes here in Devon are battered by farm vehicles and we have a lot of off road stuff in and around Haldon and Dartmoor and I am a commute rider of which my Specialized Langster simply wont cut the mustard til the weather picks up.

Got a nice deal on it as traded in my partners bike. It is the Giant Tough-road SLR GX0. Sram shifting and braking. All stock Giant kit. Allux frame - not overly light nor heavy, just solid. Stem lowered. 40c tubeless out of the box.

Historically, I have always viewed 'gravel' bikes with suspicion as it seemed like the industry was generating sales with something that did not exist. Then I found out Cannondales first bike back in 1971 was a gravel / bike packing bike so it is all cyclic I suppose, keep the tills ringing. I looked at CX bikes, but the usual caveats of BB height and gearing discussed, though I am aware Giant do a new 2018 SX TCX which looks superb. 40c tyres, wider bar and so on - moving away from CX and a bit more gravel. But this time I opted for the Toughroad as N+1.

Just back from 22 hilly miles in Devon on the edge of Dartmoor and actually this is incredible. I took it on road, cycle paths, gravel paths, bridleways the lot ! Could have even swung by Haldon MTB centre on the way back and railed it about there. 1700 feet of climbing, but choices all the way, no more wondering where that road / path / trail leads.

I now realise that these things are a game changer and really freshened up a ride today and kudos to the bike brands. Riding back on a 25% descent, hammering with rain, I started thinking about the thing people like Vroomen and co talk about. Bikes are changing. Total control, comfort, speed and choice on a ride.

I can only imagine what something like the new Synapse shod with wider tyres, disk brakes, through axles and so on rides like. Anyway, here it is. Fab machine. Simply just fun. I am a convert - this is a Defy which rides like a 29'er. Ace !

39694645672_d879280411_c.jpg

38827565785_757894098f_c.jpg

38827549995_80538f46c3_c.jpg

Comments

• reme-luke
    reme-luke Posts: 122
    I like that a lot. :)
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    Same here. Tasty.
    I'm about to covert my Arkose singlespeed to a SRAM Apex1 set up with a Sunrace 11-42 rear cassette. Already running 40mm tubeless tyres and TRP Hylex brakes. As a single speed it's fast, stable and really fun on a variety of terrain. I'm hoping the extra gearing will mean it becomes more of an all day bike able to tackle bigger hills. Sounds like a ghetto version of your Toughroad...
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • bristolpete
    Luv2ride wrote:
    Same here. Tasty.
    I'm about to covert my Arkose singlespeed to a SRAM Apex1 set up with a Sunrace 11-42 rear cassette. Already running 40mm tubeless tyres and TRP Hylex brakes. As a single speed it's fast, stable and really fun on a variety of terrain. I'm hoping the extra gearing will mean it becomes more of an all day bike able to tackle bigger hills. Sounds like a ghetto version of your Toughroad...

Nice. Having a rig like this switches things up a treat. I forgot about miles in the tank, forgot about power output. Just took the bike where ever I could and plenty more exploring yet. Like being a kid again and why we fell in love with bikes. Great comment in cyclist this month. "we love riding bikes so why ride the fastest all the time when staying out and enjoying it is an option". Forget speed, just ride. My next question is will this do fast MTB type single track. I suspect so.
  • Very Nice indeedy...

I've been looking at similar recently. Like that a lot.
    Pain is a momentary lapse of character.
  • bristolpete
    Very Nice indeedy...

I've been looking at similar recently. Like that a lot.

Nice I noted the bike last season but flat bar only til now. Revised geo for the new version with drops too .... wide flat bars not ideal for Devon green lanes too as everyone is in a Chelsea taxi ....
  • Yeah, I've just recently been looking to get back out on the bike but looking for an all rounder/winter/commuter. I too have been looking at the usual options of CX type set ups and I have been a bit sceptical of the wave of 'adventure bikes' as a bit gimmicky. Glad you like it, I will definitely be going for a test ride or two.
    Pain is a momentary lapse of character.
  • bristolpete
    Yeah, I've just recently been looking to get back out on the bike but looking for an all rounder/winter/commuter. I too have been looking at the usual options of CX type set ups and I have been a bit sceptical of the wave of 'adventure bikes' as a bit gimmicky. Glad you like it, I will definitely be going for a test ride or two.

Totally understand and agree. I was the same. The whole gravel / adventure bike thing seemed a bit meh. But, having done a bit of research it is apparent that bikes have a life cycle and come back around. A bit like skateboards :mrgreen: The thing we need to realise as seasoned road people entrenched in 23mm deep section, caliper brake, balls out riding is that these thing offer so much choice, fun and options. In all honesty I was worried I had bought the wrong bike and not a TCX but railing this downhill today was a revelation. Thankfully 3 interval sessions a week since 1st Dec on the turbo paid off as felt fit which was nice.
  • rokt
    rokt Posts: 493
    Very nice, I do like that.

Just ordered a Giant TCX SLR 1, having to wait a week or so as I need a small.

Hope I have as much fun on it as you seem to be having on yours :D
  • bristolpete
    Rokt wrote:
    Very nice, I do like that.

Just ordered a Giant TCX SLR 1, having to wait a week or so as I need a small.

Hope I have as much fun on it as you seem to be having on yours :D

Nice - you'll enjoy that.
  • markyone
    markyone Posts: 1,119
    Nice one pete looks very nice
    Colnago c60 Eps super record 11
    Pinarello F8 with sram etap
  • bristolpete
    markyone wrote:
    Nice one pete looks very nice

Cheers mate. A great bike. Going to take this single tracking over the weekend. I reckon it will fly. To and from work this week. Safe as houses too, but roll on the better weather.
  • bristolpete
    100 miles bagged this week. Absolutely love this bike. Letting me go places my road bikes cant or wont. Only trouble is my kit is getting mullered with dirt daily and getting through several dark washes a week with mud splats / Belgian toothpaste everywhere :mrgreen:

24951326727_60ae3ce7d7_c.jpg
  • minnnt
    minnnt Posts: 102
    Great looking bike bristolpete. I too love my CX bike although I’ve not took it off road yet :lol:

I couldn’t live without mudguards though :mrgreen:
  • bristolpete
    minnnt wrote:
    Great looking bike bristolpete. I too love my CX bike although I’ve not took it off road yet :lol:

I couldn’t live without mudguards though :mrgreen:

I hear you. My next 'big' purchase is an ass saver :mrgreen:
  • lakesluddite
    lakesluddite Posts: 1,337
    These are quite good for bikes that can't take full 'guards:

https://www.evanscycles.com/sks-racebla ... c-EV270346

You won't get any protection from the cack thrown up in front of the front wheel, but your backside will be covered, and (most of) your legs and feet.
  • bristolpete
    These are quite good for bikes that can't take full 'guards:

You won't get any protection from the cack thrown up in front of the front wheel, but your backside will be covered, and (most of) your legs and feet.

Look again - it has an in built fender on the down tube as they say in America :mrgreen:
  • ravey1981
    ravey1981 Posts: 1,111
    Thats really nice...and reminds me I have some 42mm tyre that need fitting to my off-road-road-bike....
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,228
    I hear you. My next 'big' purchase is an ass saver :mrgreen:
    I know you have a guard on the downtube but this type of thing is good for catching a lot of the mud that flicks up and into your face.
    IMG_4221-500x500.JPG
  • bristolpete
    Fair shout. Though historically, getting muddy for me is part of the fun.

Taking it out later for another 'grave'/road/track' take it where ever I can ride. This could render my other bikes as rather dull but happy to admit in the first throes of a love affair. We all know the score.
  • bristolpete
    If anyone is interested, took this out for a decent 23 mile loop including road, Devon green lane, single track, bridleway, gravel and even took out on a huskie training trail. Bloody great. Performed so well and even railed it at Haldon MTB centre on the Spicer blue trail which is effectively gravel. Top bobbin !!!! I literally cannot fault this bike.

28080084379_af6a425c90_c.jpg

28080084749_3c449cb966_c.jpg
  • Moonbiker
    Moonbiker Posts: 1,706
    Whats that plastic guttering thing stuck to the downtube?

mudguard?
  • bristolpete
    Moonbiker wrote:
    Whats that plastic guttering thing stuck to the downtube?

mudguard?

Spot on. You have clever eyes.
  • bondurant
    bondurant Posts: 858
    It doesn't seem to have worked.
  • bristolpete
    Bondurant wrote:
    It doesn't seem to have worked.

Catches plenty. Loads of fun having a gravel bike. 24 off road miles yesterday with a smidge of tarmac. A run on the dark blue trail 'Kiddens' at Haldon. Full face helmet boys agog as I rode by !

25120490637_cd2643bd5d_c.jpg

39093016695_66a706b5c9_c.jpg
  • rokt
    rokt Posts: 493
    Just loving your photos !
  • These are quite good for bikes that can't take full 'guards:

I'm not so sure that these are such a good idea. My mate has a pair on a CX bike that he uses in winter, and I have ridden with him on some shitty days with no guards on my bike and we are sure that he is worse off than me. Granted he avoids the brown stripe up his back, but it seems that because the guards prevent the muck being thrown off the wheels early it then gets carried around to be thrown out at the top of the wheel. All the muck from the front wheel then ends up being blown back into his chest and face, and more the muck from the rear wheel ends up on his chain. Certainly both he and his bike look far more dirty than I do at the end of the ride.
  • bristolpete
    Rokt wrote:
    Just loving your photos !

Thanks - was lucky enough to work as a stringer agency photographer for a period of my life. Still got the old magic and enjoy random phone snaps nowadays.
  • Hey mate, firstly wonderful review and even better pictures.

I currently have a Defy which I use for road use and set up aggressively more akin to a TCR but looking at one of these as a do-it-all bike for when I don't want to worry about Strava times.

I took one for a test ride and felt awesome. Tubeless tyres are amazing !

My only concern and the only reason I haven't yet pulled the trigger is that it comes with quick release rather than through axles.

Do you find this to be an issue at all?

I really enjoyed the test ride and I felt the bike climbed quite well also.... so close to pulling the trigger on this
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Strava

Aggressively set up Defy

Pulling the trigger

Quick release over through axles.

:)
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Strava

Aggressively set up Defy

Pulling the trigger

Quick release over through axles.

:)

Sorry mate I'm a little slow to follow on - what do you think of the QR?