Good road tyre for a 26" wheel in a rigid MTB?

debeli
debeli Posts: 583
edited January 2018 in MTB general
Apologies if this is the wrong place for this...

My son is turning a '92 Kona into a street bike.

I have a (very) old set of Conti 2000 Top Touring which are super cool but now past their best..... A really nice tyre and I cannot now find its like.

Instead he's put a newer set of Conti SportContact slicks on it.... which is fine but they do not offer the big-circumference comfort of the older hoop.

We are after suggestions for a 100 percent road tyre for a 26" MTB rim.... either slick or almost slick.... and preferably happy at 80psi or so....

Any suggestions will be read with interest.

Comments

• schmako
    schmako Posts: 1,982
    Been using Maxxis Detonators on my singlespeed, fast slick tire, 1.5 26 inch. Fit on my crappy oem front wheel and 719 mavic on the back.
  • mudsucker
    mudsucker Posts: 730
    schwalbe city jet. Used to use these on my MTB. Roll well and come in 1.5 or 1.95".
    Bikes are OK, I guess... :-)

2008 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp.
    2013 Trek 1.2
    1982 Holdsworth Elan.
  • Schwalbe big apple?
  • Harry182
    Harry182 Posts: 1,169
    I've used Maxxis Kojaks, Schwalbe Big Apples and Specialized Fatboys back in the day. Kojaks are light and feel good accelerating/ start-stop type London commuting. Big Apples are bigger volume, give a plush ride and feel like they cruise well.

The following link might be of interest: https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/mtb-reviews
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,706
    City Jets here too, good grip and roll nicely. As Harry182 says, try Big Apple if you're after the 'fat tyre' feel.
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.
  • kirkee
    kirkee Posts: 369
    On Schwalbe Big Apples in 26x2 at present nice to ride running around 2 bar. I used to run Michelin Country Rock theyre great tyres but i prefer the Schwalbes now due to the plusher ride.
    Caveat - I buy and ride cheap, however, I reserve the right to advise on expensive kit that I have never actually used and possibly never will
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I ran Conti sport contacts on mine for about 3 years, the best of the 5 different 26x1.5" I tried.

Pressure dictates comfort, size dictates what pressure you can get away with going wider at the same pressure wont help you hardly at all.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • debeli
    Many thanks for all the suggestions.

Bike is built now....

Sitting on SportContacts for the moment... old but with some smiles left in them.
  • debeli
    The SportContacts wore out and he took the advice of the majority above. Now two months into City Jets and loving them.

26x1.95 and that roll nicely and roll beautifully into bends.

Cheap too! A very good tyre for the price.
  • City jets