Best route? Central London to Ivinghoe

Rich The Cyclist
Rich The Cyclist Posts: 3
edited January 2018 in Road beginners
Afternoon folks

Can I ask for some route help / advice please.

I am currently planning a cycling route from Central London (Mile End Park) to Ivinghoe. I would like the route to be as quiet and scenic as possible, but without extending the journey beyond 55 miles. My thinking is that the following route would be best:

- Hug the River Lea on the NCR 1 as far as Cheshunt / Lower Nazeing
- Head west at Broxbourne
- Meander along country lanes via Epping Green, Little Berkhamsted, Welham Green, Colney Heath, Sandridge, Wheathampstead and Redbourn
- Enter the Chilterns and go via Little Gaddesden to Ivinghoe

Ay proposed improvements?

Thanks!
Richard

Comments

• Brakeless
    Brakeless Posts: 865
    Afternoon folks

Can I ask for some route help / advice please.

I am currently planning a cycling route from Central London (Mile End Park) to Ivinghoe. I would like the route to be as quiet and scenic as possible, but without extending the journey beyond 55 miles. My thinking is that the following route would be best:

- Hug the River Lea on the NCR 1 as far as Cheshunt / Lower Nazeing
    - Head west at Broxbourne
    - Meander along country lanes via Epping Green, Little Berkhamsted, Welham Green, Colney Heath, Sandridge, Wheathampstead and Redbourn
    - Enter the Chilterns and go via Little Gaddesden to Ivinghoe

Ay proposed improvements?

Thanks!
    Richard

You don't need to go near little berkhampstead or wheathampstead.

I go A1000 to Potters Bar - Brookmans Park-Welham Green - Colney Heath-Sandridge- Harpenden then Redbourn etc

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/22882529
  • Thanks Brakeless.

Having done a quick streetview on this route, Potters Bar - Brookmans Park - Welham Green looks a bit busy? Coming off the River Lea, just had a look at Broxbourne, Pembridge Lane, Brickendon, Bayford then joining your route at Welham Green.

Any thoughts? Will defer to your local knowledge though!

Cheers
    Rich
  • Brakeless
    Brakeless Posts: 865
    Potters Bar to Welham green is absolutely fine, certainly no busier than Pembridge lane which is a bit of a rat run at busy times but fine at most times of the day. Nothing wrong with your route though - nice lanes.