Securing a D lock onto the top of a pannier rack

ProjectGaz
ProjectGaz Posts: 6
edited January 2018 in Commuting general
Hi all

I’ve treated myself to a new commuter in the Planet X Christmas sale. I’ve got an Abus D lock which I’ve currently got mounted to the seat tube of my old commuter and it works quite well but I don’t really want to mount it here on my new bike and I’ve realised I’ve got a good chunk of pannier rack real estate that is rarely/never in use - the top. I use Ortlieb back rollers on either side but the top is free so I’d like to mount the lock here. I’ve seen Abus sell a type of mount for mounting onto a pannier rack but I don’t think it’ll quite suit how I want to mount it so I’m looking at using basic luggage straps and wondered if anyone here has any ingenious solutions for securing a D lock to the top of a pannier rack.

Many thanks

Comments

• cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Bungee cord wrapped around and over so it can't slip out. Simple.
  • andy9964
    andy9964 Posts: 930
    That worked for me when I had a rack.
    Just make sure you secure the bungee, or remove it, when not in use. You wouldn't want it catching on the spokes, and getting wrapped around the hub

*whistles*
  • The simple solutions are the best! I had looked on another forum and someone had posted about using bungees and that it rattled and wasn’t secure.. anyway, tried it myself with the lock looped through the rack, so essentially locked to the rack so it can’t fall off and be lost with a bungee around it and presto, it’s secure, doesn’t rattle and looks way better than an ugly frame mounted bracket!
    I was overthinking this one for sure! Thanks for the replies.
  • karlmcr
    karlmcr Posts: 16
    Just to add, I was worried about it getting water damage to the lock when I'm cycling in the rain, so I got a waterproof shower bag which sits on the rack. Lock inside, Bungee cord around this.

http://amzn.to/2FB1gnb
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I left my heavy d lock on the bike stand at work for a couple of years exposed to the elements. A little squirt of gt85 every 6 months or so and it was fine.
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    anopther vote for bungee cord .... its ideal AND allows you you mount ad-hoc items that you happen across when you are least prepared ... ie six pack of beer, misshaped amazon package, spur of the moment frying pan purchase etc etc