Which Bike ?

rokt
rokt Posts: 493
edited April 2018 in Cyclocross
I’m looking for opinions and advice on a cyclocross bike. I’ve been toying with the idea of a long time and I’m going to give the Three Peaks a go in September with a couple of mates.

I’ve got a budget of £1500 ish and been looking at a few bikes from the big manufacturers. I really like the fit and feel of the Specialized Crux Sport E5 but it’s expensive and you don’t very much for all that money. The Cannondale CAADX 105 & Ultegra, the Ultegra is nice but is it good value at £500 more than the CAADX 105 at £1200 ? The last bike I looked at was the Giant TCX SLR 2 but would I be better going £300 over budget and get the TCX SLR 1 the comes with 1 x ?

With me not having a cyclocross bike before and not being exactly sure, any advice would be greatly received.

Comments

• Crux at Sigma has special offer of frame at £800, then build your own
  • robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    Have a look at a Boardman CX Team, you can get one at the moment for £900, it's a pretty bombproof spec. will take 40c tyres with plenty of room.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • rokt
    rokt Posts: 493
    Thanks for the replies, the carbon Crux at Sigma looks nice but in that frame I need a 54 ! I’ve had a much closer look at the two Giant SLR’s and I do like the frames, not too sure on the hydraulic box thing on the bars on the SLR2 though.
  • The TCX SLR 2 2017 is availible for £875 online. Could save yourself a tidy amount and get that. Use the rest of your cash on kit / different tyres etc or just save it.

Been looking at one myself for commuting.

• Been looking at one myself for commuting.

Noob here

Speaking of commuting. I commute through a rough patch of the city with many potholes and uneven pavement, and even crossing multiple railroad tracks. My previous road bike would get as much as 3 pinch flats in a single day.

Do you think a cx is a good option? I was looking at the Norco threshold, since I found a fair discount on one, and possibly adding some 35mm semi slick tubeless tires. I want a beefy setup for "spirited" commuting, but also wanna be able to ride a smooth 50 miles along riverbeds over the weekend without having to swap wheelsets.

I don't plan on any off road use since I have 2 FS MTBs.
  • Do you think a cx is a good option? I was looking at the Norco threshold, since I found a fair discount on one, and possibly adding some 35mm semi slick tubeless tires

I've got a similar commute to you. I use a gravel bike (but a cx as you are suggesting would be fine) with tubeless 35mm Schwalbe G-One allround. Works perfectly for me and I use it for all kinds of off road riding all year round as well.
  • I've got a similar commute to you. I use a gravel bike (but a cx as you are suggesting would be fine) with tubeless 35mm Schwalbe G-One allround. Works perfectly for me and I use it for all kinds of off road riding all year round as well.

Nice! Still not completely sure the difference between gravel and cx (tire/wheel width, minor geometry?). The G-One looks like it'll roll fairly well. I'm looking at the Hutchinson Override with slick center for city roads.
  • hbaruas
    hbaruas Posts: 1
    How is the Trek Domane ALR 5 Disc 2017 model ? This comes with Shimano 105 groupset and 32 mm tyres.
    Struggling to find any reviews so far ( which I find quite strange).

Has anyone from the forum experienced this bike ?

Cheers...