Hip flexor and lower back combo

kingstonian
kingstonian Posts: 2,847
I’ve had some stiffness in my lower back (just above my hip) for a few weeks and gave it a couple of weeks rest. Having done two commutes, I feel some discomfort in the back when on the bike and am also feeling it in my hip flexor - it is my left hip flexor and the left side of my back.

Has anyone had a similar issue? Any suggestions as to the best treatment?

Comments

• diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    Have you tried stretching? Resting is not normally the right answer as everything that is stiff, just gets tight and stiff.

Glute bridge and rollering with a tennis ball on your lower back might help as will these stretches:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WElIDKxmyQo
  • kingstonian
    Had a physio assessment this morning. God she was brutal !!!!!

Definitely a hip flexor issue, she “loosened” them by stuffing her elbow into the joint - it worked but OMG it wasn’t a pleasant experience at all. I’ve got to use a foam roller and tennis ball twice a day now until I see her next Weds. need to stay off the bike too.
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    funnily my work colleagues were offering me the tennis ball solution to my lower back/hip problems, which I initially looked at askance as if it was some John McLane style take your shoes off to get over jetlag remedy, and they just wanted to see if Id fall for it, but no apparently it works
  • stueyboy
    stueyboy Posts: 108
    I suffer a fair bit from lower back/hip pain and foam rolling and tennis ball exercises do the trick for me almost every time
  • zefs
    zefs Posts: 484
    A too upright position on the bike can cause lower back pain as well. Most people believe that it's caused by a low/aero position but it's the opposite.
  • joey54321
    joey54321 Posts: 1,297

Definitely a hip flexor issue, she “loosened” them by stuffing her elbow into the joint - it worked but OMG it wasn’t a pleasant experience at all. I’ve got to use a foam roller and tennis ball twice a day now until I see her next Weds. need to stay off the bike too.

Are you rolling/tennis balling your hip or lower back?
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    When sorted enrol on a yoga class or make sure to do some post ride stretches....
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    kingrollo wrote:
    When sorted enrol on a yoga class or make sure to do some post ride stretches....

I hate it, but joining my wife doing yoga twice a week has resolved all my back problems .. and a few other issues I didn't know I had

wasn't immediate though you need to stick at it, sure it can offer immediate relief but the real flexibility didn't kick in for about a year for me
  • kingstonian
    joey54321 wrote:

Are you rolling/tennis balling your hip or lower back?

The hip, specifically the hip flexor
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    fat daddy wrote:
    kingrollo wrote:

I hate it, but joining my wife doing yoga twice a week has resolved all my back problems .. and a few other issues I didn't know I had

wasn't immediate though you need to stick at it, sure it can offer immediate relief but the real flexibility didn't kick in for about a year for me

Yes the most boring hour of my life. But it works.
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    I do pilates and something called body balance 2-3 times a week. its mind numbingly dull, but it does work and you do improve your flexibility a lot. It definitely counters the negative effects of regular cycling.

The only positive is the teacher has a lovely rack, which is a nice distraction, though I'm not convinced they are home grown :D
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    diy wrote:
    I
    The only positive is the teacher has a lovely rack,

Tailfin T1 ?????

https://www.tailfin.cc/