What am I gaining if I put more money into the shoes I buy?

rowanharley
rowanharley Posts: 76
edited January 2018 in Amateur race
I see that there are many expensive cycling shoes which cost €100+ but what benefits will I get if I pay more for these shoes?

Comments

• The difference between what I have now and a $135 Shimano RC7 is about 2/3 of pound. That's simply incredible for a $135 weight savings.

Some of the light shoes are very stiff and rated very highly for comfort.

I'd say a nice set of shoes and a nice saddle can be the cheapest and most noticeable weight savings and life "improvements" on the bike. Just don't take it too too far and have a sore bum and hurting feet just to save another 25g.
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    of course, brand new socks on every occasion does up the bill.
  • Best waiting and buying top shoes in sales. I have a pair of Shimano R320 which were around £300 when they first came out. I got them for £60 in end of line sale. I have seen many top quality shoes at huge discount when newer replacement models come out.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    I see that there are many expensive cycling shoes which cost €100+ but what benefits will I get if I pay more for these shoes?

nothing.
  • w00dster
    w00dster Posts: 880
    Imposter wrote:

nothing.

Harsh! I notice the weight difference between my cheaper touring shoes and my expensive light weight carbon sole shoes...my wallet is a lot lighter anyway.

Performance wise, its marginal if any. I get colder feet using my expensive shoes so i ride faster to get home quicker :wink:
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Surely the expensive shoes are the ones costing >300 Euro ?

Bit lighter, bit airier, bit flasher, bit stiffer.

It's a lot of money for shoes though.

I've been riding decades now and never bothered with the really expensive shoes. If someone drops me it's because they're fitter than me - not that they've saved 100gr on shoes.

Fit and comfort is the key for shoes.
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    Weight difference isn't that big a deal, but the stiffer pedalling platform you'll get with high end carbon shoes is well worth the extra expense.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Not to a junior starting out. If you've sheds of money then go for it. Otherwise save the dosh.
  • cougie wrote:
    Not to a junior starting out. If you've sheds of money then go for it. Otherwise save the dosh.

I do need a pair but I don't want to have to cough up €150 for a pair of shoes. Is there any shoe's you'd recommend which are currently under €/$100. I can get shoes from american sites as Ive an aunt coming over and they could fit them in their bag. Any sites worth looking at as well?
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Comfort is key.

You're best off trying them for fit.

Evans have some LG laced shoes that get decent reviews. I've a pair. There's really no Need to spend a huge amount on shoes.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Have you looked at bikechaincafe. Lots of Sidi shoes at big discounts.